• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mediterranean migrant crisis.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
A record-number of asylum-seekers have been making their way across the Mediterranean Sea--most taking the route from Libya to Italy in unseaworthy boats. Some of these "asylum-seekers", as reported by the Italian press, are actually Islamic extremists who seek to do wrong to our continent; many of them want the taste of easy welfare as offered by many northern European countries.

And the European Union now expects us to accommodate these migrants! And do you know what? As members of the EU and, therefore, bound by the 1951 Convention on Refugees, the ECHR and the Lisbon Treaty, with its Charter of Fundamental Rights, we are totally and utterly impotent to do anything about it.
We have voluntarily surrendered our ability to make our own decisions.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
A record-number of asylum-seekers have been making their way across the Mediterranean Sea--most taking the route from Libya to Italy in unseaworthy boats. Some of these "asylum-seekers", as reported by the Italian press, are actually Islamic extremists who seek to do wrong to our continent; many of them want the taste of easy welfare as offered by many northern European countries.

And the European Union now expects us to accommodate these migrants! And do you know what? As members of the EU and, therefore, bound by the 1951 Convention on Refugees, the ECHR and the Lisbon Treaty, with its Charter of Fundamental Rights, we are totally and utterly impotent to do anything about it.
I think that the world is just going to have to learn how to deal with large population movements. We have constructed a geopolitical system that relies upon static boundaries, but populations are not static. It is the geopolitical construct that will have to adapt - not the species.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Er, what? So you believe in open borders? If so, just open up your house and let anyone live there.

No, I believe that borders are arbitrary political constructs that are far less durable than we would like to think.

Closing borders when your economy relies upon their permeability is as counter productive as it is impractical.

Reactions: gsa

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No, I believe that borders are arbitrary political constructs that are far less durable than we would like to think.

Closing borders when your economy relies upon their permeability is as counter productive as it is impractical.
No, the economy doesn't rely on illegal immigrants spilling in, straining resources and taking the jobs of citizens. We have veterans and hard working Americans who can't get health care and are poor and living on the streets, but immigrants who have great health care, a home, a car, expensive clothing, etc. Something's wrong with this picture. Help your own people first before you even think of helping others who come to your doorstep (or break down the door and force their way in, anyway).

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
No, the economy doesn't rely on illegal immigrants spilling in, straining resources and taking the jobs of citizens. We have veterans and hard working Americans who can't get health care and are poor and living on the streets, but immigrants who have great health care, a home, a car, expensive clothing, etc. Something's wrong with this picture. Help your own people first before you even think of helping others who come to your doorstep (or break down the door and force their way in, anyway).
Your economy, particularly the manufacturing and agricultural sectors is dependant upon some 12 million illegal workers. They do not strain resources, they get none. And yes I agree, the US needs a healthcare system, it is a travesty that you do not have one now.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Your economy, particularly the manufacturing and agricultural sectors is dependant upon some 12 million illegal workers. They do not strain resources, they get none. And yes I agree, the US needs a healthcare system, it is a travesty that you do not have one now.
And they can be deported and those jobs can be given to American citizens. NAFTA can be repealed, too, since it's a cause of much of the problem for both Americans and Mexicans.

We have a health care system, it just needs to be expanded.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
And they can be deported and those jobs can be given to American citizens. NAFTA can be repealed, too, since it's a cause of much of the problem for both Americans and Mexicans.

We have a health care system, it just needs to be expanded.
Well no, if you deport them you can not replace them without having to pay minimum wage, the agricultural sector would collapse.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity

Is this post some UKIP rhetoric death-rattle? I believe the country already made its stance on your 'views' clear. UKIP are dead, and rightfully so.

Laika

Premium Member

boat-full-of-people2.jpg

Ahhhhh! look. it's a boat full of refugees. quick- close the border so we get the benifits of free trade without any responisiblity!

They're fleeing from the government. How can we trust these people? we'd have to make them swear an oath of allegience. we can't run a successful economy by giving people oppurtunity! a nation build on immigration? that could never work! it's not as if refugees ever did anything important.

amd_einstein.jpg

We must take away their human right to come here! I feel so impotent having to obey the rule of law and our treaty obligations! they might work hard, pay their taxes, encourage their kids to get an education! or do the jobs we don't want for below the minimum wage! think of the food! the culture! the never ending line of takeaways! how I weep for the future of mankind. why does no-one think about the white people?

one of them is wearing a head dress and speaks a different language. he's holding a book. NO. he can read! he has aspirations! civilisation is doomed! Terrorist! Terrorist! Terrorist! How can defend freedom and democracy from all these huddled masses yearning to be free? lets make it so bureaucrat that they have to put into some kind of camp...we could even militarise the border!

4999974.jpeg

Much better!

screen-shot-2013-03-08-at-1-03-45-pm.png

Oh, look. it's rich people. Welcome!

Please come here and spend your money buying our football clubs, raise our house prices, owning our media, exploiting our tax loopholes and funding our political parties.We'll even let you fly in on your own private airstrip.

Would you like to eat your food off our citizens whilst you wait? How much of our art collections would you like to buy? Is there any legitislation that makes you feel uncomfortable? Please, make yourself at home! You want to crash our banks? here, let me help you with this bailout.... it's not as if we're forcing people to live on charity!

[...because this was far more fun than trying to do a serious response]

gsa

While I wouldn't rule out the possibility or even probability that some of them are Islamic extremists, many if not most of the refugees are fleeing Islamic extremists. There are hundreds of thousands of refugees who have fled Boko Haram, with considerably more people internally displaced. How many people have fled Syria and Iraq largely for the same reason?

I doubt the vast majority of them are looking to take advantage of the welfare states. They're looking to survive, and risking death to do it.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
boat-full-of-people2.jpg

Ahhhhh! look. it's a boat full of refugees. quick- close the border so we get the benifits of free trade without any responisiblity!

They're fleeing from the government. How can we trust these people? we'd have to make them swear an oath of allegience. we can't run a successful economy by giving people oppurtunity! a nation build on immigration? that could never work! it's not as if refugees ever did anything important.

amd_einstein.jpg

We must take away their human right to come here! I feel so impotent having to obey the rule of law and our treaty obligations! they might work hard, pay their taxes, encourage their kids to get an education! or do the jobs we don't want for below the minimum wage! think of the food! the culture! the never ending line of takeaways! how I weep for the future of mankind. why does no-one think about the white people?

one of them is wearing a head dress and speaks a different language. he's holding a book. NO. he can read! he has aspirations! civilisation is doomed! Terrorist! Terrorist! Terrorist! How can defend freedom and democracy from all these huddled masses yearning to be free? lets make it so bureaucrat that they have to put into some kind of camp...we could even militarise the border!

4999974.jpeg

Much better!

screen-shot-2013-03-08-at-1-03-45-pm.png

Oh, look. it's rich people. Welcome!

Please come here and spend your money buying our football clubs, raise our house prices, owning our media, exploiting our tax loopholes and funding our political parties.We'll even let you fly in on your own private airstrip.

Would you like to eat your food off our citizens whilst you wait? How much of our art collections would you like to buy? Is there any legitislation that makes you feel uncomfortable? Please, make yourself at home! You want to crash our banks? here, let me help you with this bailout.... it's not as if we're forcing people to live on charity!

[...because this was far more fun than trying to do a serious response]
Really, really good!

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
I think that the world is just going to have to learn how to deal with large population movements. We have constructed a geopolitical system that relies upon static boundaries, but populations are not static. It is the geopolitical construct that will have to adapt - not the species.

You have missed the point of this post: that the United Kingdom can't make its decision on the matter; that we have surrendered our ability to make our own decision.

This is not a matter of closing borders or pulling up the bridge to the rest of the world, as you are implying. This is a matter of quality and quantity control and, economically, it makes sense.

Is this post some UKIP rhetoric death-rattle? I believe the country already made its stance on your 'views' clear. UKIP are dead, and rightfully so.

Ukip aren't dead, Mycroft--they almost got the combined voting total of the Liberal Democrats AND the SNP (despite all the hype that would convince the casual otherwise). It's thanks to the out-of-date voting system that is FTPTP. And Ukip will be a voice calling for electoral reform, European Union exit, and a passion for a more free-market orientated United Kingdom.

Please take a look at this image and then tell us that Ukip is dead.

bn1Gbmc.png

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal

There it is again--the close the border soundbite. This is an issue of accepting illegal immigrants into the European Union which then have the right to come to the United Kingdom.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't consider offering asylum to some of these migrants, but they should follow the correct and proper procedure to ask for asylum--paying people traffickers to half-deliver you to the European continent is not the way to do it.

Laika

Premium Member
There it is again--the close the border soundbite. This is an issue of accepting illegal immigrants into the European Union which then have the right to come to the United Kingdom.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't consider offering asylum to some of these migrants, but they should follow the correct and proper procedure to ask for asylum--paying people traffickers to half-deliver you to the European continent is not the way to do it.

My apologies. I have a certian knee jerk sympathy with the immigrants and asylum-seekers as the victims on this issue. It is one of those subjects which has been a 'taboo' in my house because it is politically incorrect associations with racism. Dealing with it with humour seemed more appropriate.

Do you think illegal immigrants have the right to stay in the EU, such as with an amnesty? That would resolve existing legal problems and make it possible to sort out any future problems with immigration?