• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditations for beginners

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Hello! I am a novice practicing Buddhist. I currently meditate a singular prayer regularly, the first prayer of the Tibetan Book of the Dead.
Other than the Tibetan Book of the Dead, what are some good meditations / resources that can provide meditations for novices? The TBotD is all about death, and preparing for it. I would like to broaden my meditations :)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Hello! I am a novice practicing Buddhist. I currently meditate a singular prayer regularly, the first prayer of the Tibetan Book of the Dead.
Other than the Tibetan Book of the Dead, what are some good meditations / resources that can provide meditations for novices? The TBotD is all about death, and preparing for it. I would like to broaden my meditations :)

I practice shikantaza, which is objectless. On the plus side, there's no object to focus on. On the downside, there's no object to focus on.

RestlessSoul

I recently started rereading it, I do think I’ll start practicing meditation with it, thanks!

The paper copy I have is a Penguin Classics version, translated by Juan Mascaro. @firedragon identified a couple of translation errors in the Mascaro copy, but I find it more poetic than most I have seen, and in poetry there often lies a higher truth.

I tend to approach scripture as a form of poetry and poetry as a form of scripture. Don't know if you're familiar with William Blake, and his concept of that spirit which he calls the Poetic Genius, the source of all divine revelation in all cultures? Here's a link to his pamphlet, All Religions Are One (radical stuff in 18th Century)

William Blake: All Religions Are One - The Culturium -

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I only practice Zazen.

Just sit down. Let stuff arise and pass.

Counting breaths help with focus if deemed necessary.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

Have you tried simple breath meditation?

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Have you tried simple breath meditation?

Keep it simple. You could just watch the breath for say 5 minutes to begin with. Notice the physical sensations of breathing, eg the movement of the chest/abdomen. Some people use counting the breaths as an aid, say up to 10, then repeat.
It may take the mind a little time to settle, but this will happen naturally.
Sitting on a stool or chair is fine, no need for yogic contortions.
"Alert yet relaxed" is how one of my teachers described it.
There are many methods of meditation, but this might be a good one to start with.