• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media Accountability

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Arrest of Steele dossier source forces some news outlets to reexamine their coverage

How do we tackle media accountability, without overstepping Freedom of the Press. Is the institution of some law or laws governing media accountability, automatically disqualified on account of the above freedom?

To Fix Fake News, Look To Yellow Journalism - JSTOR Daily

Once all of the Gods are gone, what is left but self-gratification?

The desire to feel good about ourselves becomes more important than the truth.
I suspect we are going to ride this horse(fake news) until the end.
This idea of making reality whatever we want it to be. The press is just giving folks what they want.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Personally, I think it is more of a 2 way street; with the greater influence being the media creating the want (same as with marketing/advertising ---> consumer desires and "needs").

Media does create...

FF9nABmXwAcYSPF

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Arrest of Steele dossier source forces some news outlets to reexamine their coverage

How do we tackle media accountability, without overstepping Freedom of the Press. Is the institution of some law or laws governing media accountability, automatically disqualified on account of the above freedom?

I think that it eventually heals itself. As people don't trust the media, the less people see it, the lower the ratings, the less money they receive and the less advertisers want to employ their services.

Then you have consequences:

Washington Post settles $250M suit with Covington teen Nick Sandmann

I hope it happens more often. It was a media driven murder of the life of Nick and far worse than what they accused him of. IMHO

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Sure, I still don't see anything fixable though.

There is too much power, imo giving a government control over the press.
Nothing likely to be "fixed", I agree.
As to government control of the press, in the UK it is the exact opposite. When Murdoch says "jump" British Prime Ministers (Blair, Cameron, Johnson...) say "how high?". This is why the Murdoch press heavily pushed for Brexit because as Murdoch himself said, when he goes to Brussels no-one listens to him, when he goes to Downing Street they listen (and obviously behave accordingly). No British PM wants the Murdoch press against them. They need approval (or at least not disapproval) to get into office and to subsequently stay in office.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
...I recommend the three part BBC documentary The Rise of the Murdoch Dynasty. All your favourites are there - Blair, Cameron, Farage, Trump - all sucking up big time to him.
Informative and mightily depressing viewing.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I just want to see the Fairness Doctrine reinstated where both perspectives and sides are included.

I think that would go a long way in balancing not only the entire report, but also might just put a damper on fake and misrepresented aspects that are out there.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I just want to see the Fairness Doctrine reinstated where both perspectives and sides are included.

I think that would go a long way in balancing not only the entire report, but also might just put a damper on fake and misrepresented aspects that are out there.
There you go!

Lain

Not every side and perspective is worth including or considering. I'm perfectly fine with people being biased, there is literally not a soul who isn't biased, and neutrality doesn't exist at all in my opinion.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Not every side and perspective is worth including or considering. I'm perfectly fine with people being biased, there is literally not a soul who isn't biased, and neutrality doesn't exist at all in my opinion.
If the other perspective is a minority opinion, like for instance the 1% or whatever of climate scientists that don't believe that man caused warming, that gives the wrong impression to the audience. So I'm reconsidering equal time for both perspectives in all cases. It would not be good in that case.

The subject of what to do is really complex. It would be hard to get a situation of non-profit for the press also. What we really need are trustworthy people in the press, and media people who tell the truth.

It's also true that none of us is unbiased, absolute objectivity doesn't exist for humans. I don't feel good, though, about how much bias exists in the world.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

If you watch the actual news broadcasts, they seem fairly neutral. What people are watching are "news" entertainment shows which provides biased news entertainment. When tragedy happens, folks what to hear it in an entertaining fashion.