• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mechanic Advice

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

Need some advice here...

My wife's car was acting up back in late May. I tried to fix it, gave up, and took it to a mechanic in early June. He did some work, charged me $600 - $400 for the part and $200 labor, and he garaunteed it. I took the car from him June 4. Three days later the car breaks down, and I have it towed to his shop. It starts fine for him, and he keeps it a few days, and gives it back to me.

Three days later - June 18 - it breaks down again, and it is towed in on June 19. It's still in his shop! He's given up and he's sending it to the dealer... which is what I was going to do tomorrow - ask him for my money back and tow it somewhere else.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Model:
Make:
Year:
Current Mileage:

Detailed Description of the Nature of the Problem (Use the back if you run out of room)

A

angellous_evangellous

It's a 1997 BMW 328i, and it won't start. It's happened the same way all three times - it sounds like it is starting like normal and dies before the engine idles. The diagnostic check is saying that it's an evaporation leak and the oxygen sensor is out. I put in an oxygen sensor from a working car and it didn't change anything - all the mechanic did was change the sensor - after I told him that it didn't work before - and charged me $600... no surprise that it failed.

The car has 135k miles, and the battery and cables are fine, starter is working properly, and it has brand new spark plugs.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Usually, no starts revolve around "Spark/Fuel/Compression" issues. From your short description, it sounds as if it is fuel related.

First thing to do is to test for adequate fuel pressure. If I remember correctly it should be about 45-50 psi(3 bar) at the fuel distribution rail. If the supply is adequate, you need to ascertain whether they are firing. Putting your hand on an injector while someone cranks the car will give you a good indication as they make a definite "click". Ah wait, since it is Bavarian in manufacture, that would be a "klik" :D. An absence of kliks points to a bad injectors or a defective computer.

My guess is that you have a supply issue though. If the gauge jumps to 50 during an attempted start, see if it HOLDS it. A leaky injector, a defective Fuel Pressure Regulator or even the fuel pump could be the culprit.

A

angellous_evangellous

After a month, it's finally over. He gave me the car back on the day that the thread was posted, and it didn't start again that very night!

It turns out that the problem was electrical, and the mechanic fixed it. The latest non-start was a dead battery, a coincidence unrelated to the original problem.

I sold the car last night at my asking price.