• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meaningful Atheistic Lives

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Finding meaning is among the easiest and usual things for our species to do. Simply put, our brains will see meaning and purpose in nearly anything and everything they have even the slimmest chance of seeing meaning and purpose in -- even if the meaning and purpose they find is only negative in nature (e.g. "This is not what it's all about, or should be about).

We humans look at life though a lens of consciousness that is almost constantly assessing things in terms of their purpose or meaning to our egos or psychological selves. The real challenge is to live free of meaning and purpose when assigning one to things serves no purpose. Only then can you be spiritually free, only then can you witness the beauty of this world undistorted by the meanings and purposes (both positive and negative) that your brain would impose upon it.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Progressive thinking is to the credit of Catholicism. I think the difference in our perspective is whether we view that growth and progression independent of the Bible a result of Christian principles laid out in the Bible, or Christians doing what human beings do without a religion. If it's the latter, then what part does the religion play in this except to serve as the substrate to be subjected to reason and innovation?

Well as I've been saying, it's not just the Bible.

For a Protestant, sure, Christianity is all about the Bible.

But for a Catholic?

You know how Jews have both the Hebrew Bible (Tanakh) and the Talmud (Oral Torah)? How Muslims have both the Qur'an and the Hadith (Sunnah, sayings of the Prophet and his Companions)? It's the same for Catholics, albeit even more complicated.

See:

Scripture and Tradition | Catholic Answers

Protestants claim the Bible is the only rule of faith, meaning that it contains all of the material one needs for theology and that this material is sufficiently clear that one does not need apostolic tradition or the Church’s magisterium (teaching authority) to help one understand it. In the Protestant view, the whole of Christian truth is found within the Bible’s pages. Anything extraneous to the Bible is simply non-authoritative, unnecessary, or wrong—and may well hinder one in coming to God.

Catholics, on the other hand, recognize that the Bible does not endorse this view and that, in fact, it is repudiated in Scripture. The true "rule of faith"—as expressed in the Bible itself—is Scripture plus apostolic tradition, as manifested in the living teaching authority of the Catholic Church, to which were entrusted the oral teachings of Jesus and the apostles, along with the authority to interpret Scripture correctly
.​

We have two sources of revelation (sacred scripture and sacred tradition) plus the "natural law" accessible to everyone via synderesis-conscientia (intuition-reason) and an authoritative Magisterium to interpret divine revelation coming from whatever medium and courtesy of the doctrine of 'development of doctrine', also a progressive expansion in our understanding of revelation (i.e. what before had been only 'implicit' becoming 'explicit').

On account of this complicated framework, you can't determine whether something is based upon 'Christian principles' by simply pointing to the Bible.

In the Second Vatican Council’s document on divine revelation, Dei Verbum (Latin: "The Word of God"), the relationship between Tradition and Scripture is explained:

"Hence there exists a close connection and communication between sacred Tradition and sacred Scripture. For both of them, flowing from the same divine wellspring, in a certain way merge into a unity and tend toward the same end. For sacred Scripture is the word of God inasmuch as it is consigned to writing under the inspiration of the divine Spirit. To the successors of the apostles, sacred Tradition hands on in its full purity God’s word, which was entrusted to the apostles by Christ the Lord and the Holy Spirit.

"Thus, by the light of the Spirit of truth, these successors can in their preaching preserve this word of God faithfully, explain it, and make it more widely known. Consequently it is not from sacred Scripture alone that the Church draws her certainty about everything which has been revealed. Therefore both sacred Tradition and sacred Scripture are to be accepted and venerated with the same devotion and reverence.
"

And it is important to remember that this sacred tradition makes progress/develops:

Dei verbum

This [sacred] tradition which comes from the Apostles develops in the Church with the help of the Holy Spirit. (5) For there is a growth in the understanding of the realities and the words which have been handed down. This happens through the contemplation and study made by believers, who treasure these things in their hearts (see Luke, 2:19, 51) through a penetrating understanding of the spiritual realities which they experience, and through the preaching of those who have received through Episcopal succession the sure gift of truth. For as the centuries succeed one another, the Church constantly moves forward toward the fullness of divine truth until the words of God reach their complete fulfillment in her.

The words of the holy fathers witness to the presence of this living tradition
, whose wealth is poured into the practice and life of the believing and praying Church. Through the same tradition the Church's full canon of the sacred books is known, and the sacred writings themselves are more profoundly understood and unceasingly made active in her

Quoting from Vatican IIs Dei Verbum, Pope Benedict XVI stated that Tradition is "a living and dynamic reality": it "'makes progress in the Church, with the help of the Holy Spirit".

Consider how at the Council of Constance (1417), the gathered bishops stipulated that when a new Pope was elected, he would need to swear an Oath to uphold his duties (Session 39). What did the Oath entail?

In the name of the holy and undivided Trinity, Father and Son and holy Spirit. Amen.

In the year of our Lord’s nativity one thousand etc., I, N., elected pope, with both heart and mouth confess and profess to almighty God, whose church I undertake with his assistance to govern, and to blessed Peter, prince of the apostles, that as long as I am in this fragile life I will firmly believe and hold the catholic faith, according to the traditions of the apostles, of the general councils and of other holy fathers, especially of the eight holy universal councils and I will confirm, defend and preach it to the point of death and the shedding of my blood, and likewise I will follow and observe in every way the rite handed down of the ecclesiastical sacraments of the catholic church.

This my profession and confession
, written at my orders by a notary of the holy Roman church, I have signed below with my own hand. I sincerely offer it on this altar N. to you, almighty God, with a pure mind and a devout conscience, in the presence of the following. Made etc.

Any mention of the Bible specifically in this medieval Papal Oath? You'll see references to the "Catholic Faith", "traditions of the apostles", "holy [church] fathers", the "sacraments" and a "devout conscience"...but nothing specifically about the Bible.

Do you get the fact that the Bible is not my 'sole rule of my faith' or sole source of divine revelation/Christian principles?

Christianity existed for 1,500 years without adopting the Protestant position that the "Bible alone" is the source of divine truth. You really need to drop this Bible thing IMHO :p

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@It Aint Necessarily So many thanks again for your replies to my posts (which, I know, are long due to the very real complexity of this topic, spanning intellectual history over the course of 2,000 years, so double thank you for bearing with me).

In the history of Catholic philosophy, the dominant theory of ethics is not the so-called "Divine Command Theory", which seems to be popular among contemporary American Evangelicals.

That honour goes to Natural Law. We are a natural law faith tradition.

God’s commandments, through the revealed Divine Law, were considered by Thomist Catholics to be a means of illuminating what is morally true and not what determines what is morally true. They are meant as guide to conscience, should we find ourselves struggling to work out some vexing moral problem on our own - in accordance with intuition and right reason - but never as a substitute for conscience.

The traditional Catholic 'Thomist' approach from the High Middle Ages thus was, in point of fact, closer to rational ethics than it is to divine command, with the proviso being that 'conscience' - the internal moral compass as you call it - is given 'primacy'. And what precisely does this moral compass involve?

Scholastic theologians worked out a differentiation between two Latin terms involved in the process of conscientious moral decision-making: synderesis and conscientia.

As explained by one scholar, Lyons (2009): “conscience is the whole internal conscious process by which first principles of moral right and wrong, learnt intuitively by synderesis [a functional intuitive capacity], are applied to some action now contemplated in order to produce a moral verdict on that action, known as conscientia." (p.479).

That said, I don't really want to get too bogged down in Catholic philosophy since it would take a dissertation-sized epic work of scholarly research to properly explain it all - which I definitely do not want to do! That's well beyond my pay-grade :D

It's more complicated than that:

CHRISTIAN MORAL PRINCIPLES : Chapter 3: Conscience: Knowledge of Moral Truth

According to common Catholic teaching, one must follow one’s conscience even when it is [objectively from a Christian standpoint] mistaken. St. Thomas explains this as follows. Conscience is one’s last and best judgment as to the choice one ought to make. If this judgment is mistaken, one does not know it at the time. One will follow one’s conscience if one is choosing reasonably...So if one acts against one’s conscience, one is certainly in the wrong (see S.t., 1–2, q. 19, aa. 5–6).11

Thomas drives home his point. If a superior gives one an order which cannot be obeyed without violating one’s conscience, one must not obey. To obey the superior in this case would be to disobey what one believes...(see S.t., 1–2, q. 19, a. 5, ad 2; 2–2, q. 104, a. 5). Indeed, to believe in Jesus is in itself good and essential for salvation; but one can only believe in him rightly if one judges that one ought to. Therefore, one whose conscience is that it is wrong to believe in Jesus would be morally guilty if he or she chose against this judgment

That's the traditional Thomist Catholic understanding. It doesn't apply to those who, "care but little for truth and goodness, and conscience by degrees grows practically sightless” (GS 16; translation supplied). This is because: "Conscience entails moral responsibility. One’s first responsibility is to form conscience rightly". Rather, the above assumes a sincere person who is seeking to live a moral life according to the dictates of their conscience.

To give you an example, read this from the book Conscience and Authority in the Medieval Church (2015) by Alexander Murray, a Professor at University College, Oxford:

Conscience and Authority in the Medieval Church

"...It is in a letter of Innocent III, written in 1201...A woman called Guleilma had left her husband, alleging consanguinity, recently discovered. To outsider with partial knowledge of the facts, the true motive of the wife must seem doubtful. Was hr desertion really due to her discovery of an impediment? Or vice versa?...This was the question that came to Pope Innocent III...

None the less, Innocent's wisdom insisted, she must obey her conscience...

Innocent III's letter would be duly preserved in Gregory IX's Decretals where it would calmly declare to every student of the subject, without ant special warning of the time-bomb it actually contained, the ultimate supremacy of conscience. Hostiensis himself, the most zealous apostle of the pope's fullness of power, expressly acknowledged that the authority of conscience was in the last resort even greater..."

Here are Pope Innocent III's (1198-1216) actual words in the letter to that woman:

"...No one ought to act against his own conscience and he should follow his conscience rather than the judgement of the church when he is certain...one ought to suffer any evil rather than sin against conscience..."

Some commentary on this:

Defending American Religious Neutrality

"...The basic idea of the supreme authority of conscience had already been endorsed, in stronger terms [than ever before], by Pope Innocent III (1198-1216)...Here one sees the beginnings of the idea that conscience can trump even the objective law.

Noah Feldman observes that the idea of freedom of conscience is already being suggested here: 'If it was sinful to act against conscience, there might be reason to avoid requiring anyone to act against conscience'..."

Here you have a medieval Pope telling a woman that her individual conscience on this matter is ultimately supreme at the last recourse even over the authority of the Pope or Church.

The traditional teaching has a high regard for the internal process of individual discernment of truth.

It should said also, that in John Locke's Letter Concerning Toleration (1689) he reiterated but radicalized and developed this same doctrine of the individual having an obligation to obey his conscience, painting it in religious terms: "No way whatsoever that I shall walk in, against the Dictates of my Conscience, will ever bring me to the Mansions of the Blessed", he wrote. See:

Amendment I (Religion): John Locke, A Letter concerning Toleration

Compare John Locke saying here in 1689:

No private person has any right in any manner to prejudice another person in his civil enjoyments because he is of another church or religion. All the rights and franchises that belong to him as a man, or as a denizen, are inviolably to be preserved to him. These are not the business of religion. No violence nor injury is to be offered him, whether he be Christian or Pagan.

This the Gospel enjoins
, this reason directs, and this that natural fellowship we are born into requires of us. If any man err from the right way, it is his own misfortune, no injury to thee; nor therefore art thou to punish him in the things of this life because thou supposest he will be miserable in that which is to come.

With Pope Nicholas I almost a thousand years before in his A.D. 886 letter to the Bulgars, Ad Consulta Vestra:

Internet History Sourcebooks

The Responses of Pope Nicholas I to the Questions of the Bulgars A.D. 866 (Letter 99)

Chapter XLI.

Concerning those who refuse to receive the good of Christianity and sacrifice and bend their knees to idols, we can write nothing else to you than that you move them towards the right faith by warnings, exhortations, and reason rather than by force...

Violence should by no means be inflicted upon them to make them believe. For everything which is not voluntary, cannot be good; for it is written: Willingly shall I sacrifice to you,[Ps. 53:8] and again: Make all the commands of my mouth your will,[Ps. 118:108] and again, And by my own will I shall confess to Him.[Ps. 27:7] Indeed, God commands that willing service be performed only by the willing
. Listen to the apostle Paul who, when he wrote to the Corinthians, says: Why indeed is it my business to judge concerning those who are outside? Do you not judge concerning those who are inside? God will judge those who are outside. Remove the evil from yourselves.[I Cor. 5:12-13] It is as if he said: Concerning those who are outside our religion, I shall judge nothing.

Chapter CII.

We have taught above that violence should not be inflicted upon the pagan in order to make him become a Christian.

There is a clear development of ideas here over time, rather than rupture.

Thanks for that. Catholicism is much different than I knew. My Christian experience was Protestant.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I actually meant what were the most important cultural variables that contributed to the rise of modern science and Humanism in your opinion.

Science required a combination of skepticism, which is ancient, rationalism, which is also older than science (Aristotle speculated using pure reason), and finally, empiricism, which was the last element to be added to the mix, and the one that turned armchair speculation into a method of inquiry of nature.

What cultural variables contributed to that occurring? I suppose just a tolerance of freethinking and the belief that such activity would or might be fruitful.

How common do you think such cultural variables were in pre-modern societies?

I don't know.

As I have said many times, to me, humanism is a repudiation of Christianity, proposing an entirely new world view. The Christian metaphysics of the supernatural and deities becomes an apparently godless, naturalistic cosmos in humanism. Is that an outgrowth or rejection?

As @Vouthon has explained far more eruditely than I can, there wasn't a radical departure. Your views focus on a modern US version of Christianity, rather than the Christianities (Catholic, Anglican, Quaker etc.) that are more relevant to the historical evolution of this particular strand of European thought.

I also believe it is important to consider pre-Christian thought when comparing similarities/differences.

The completely new worldview, was pretty much the same as an existing one simply without God underpinning everything.

The devout Christians who contributed to the development of the Enlightenment didn't view themselves as rejecting their faith, they saw it as strengthening their faith.

In another thread you, correctly imo, noted that you can't get moral values from reason alone, you need to add in another reference point/axiom from which to use that reason.

For me, that relates to many things from within our worldview. Reason depends on these cognitive reference points, and throughout human history different cultures have had very different reference points.

You look for differences between Humanism and Christianity to show they are substantially different, but when you compare the 2 to numerous other rare-modern strands of thought you will find they are very close.

Universalism, progressive teleology, natural rights, a universe that can and should be understood through scientific investigation, the value of education for all, even a secular realm (not found in Islam or Confucianism for example), etc.

Having all of these things is not common across pre-modern societies, yet are present in both Christianity and Humanism. That is why I find to hard to see how Humanism could be a rejection, rather than an evolution of certain types of Christian thought. While not all Christians were as progressive and open minded, and Humanism could be seen as a rejection of these, it is also true that Christians rejected these views also.

Yes, but that's not where we part ways. We part ways on the nature of the relationship of the Christian culture and the emerging humanist culture. You seem to hold steadfastly to the idea that this relationship must perforce be akin to a mother and child - that one is a spin-off of the other as Christianity is to Judaism.

One example relating to the progressive teleology/meliorism present in Humanism that is one of its core characteristics:

"Such impressive studies as Gerhard B. Ladner, The Idea of Reform: Its Impact on Christian Thought and Action in the Age of the Fathers; Charles N. Cochrane, Christianity and Classical Culture; Karl Löwith, Meaning in History; and Marjorie Reeves, The Influence of Prophecy in the Later Middle Ages make it certain beyond question that a very real philosophy of human progress appears almost from the very beginning in Christian theology, a philosophy stretching from St. Augustine (indeed his predecessors, Eusebius and Tertullian) down through the seventeenth century...

Probably the first full and complete statement of progress is that of Turgot, expressed in his celebrated discourse before an admiring audience at the Sorbonne in December 1750, one entitled "A Philosophical Review of the Successive Advances of the Human Mind." In this discourse progress is made to cover not simply the arts and sciences but, on their base, the whole of culture—manner, mores, institutions, legal codes, economy, etc. Even more comprehensive is Turgot's "Plan for Two Discourses on Universal History" ... In Turgot's "Universal History" we are given an account of the progress of mankind which, in comprehensiveness and ordering of materials, would not be equalled until Turgot's ardent admirer, Condorcet wrote his Outline of an Historical Picture of the Progress of the Human Mind during the French Revolution. Condorcet wrote it in a period of but a few weeks all the while hiding from the Jacobin police in an attic (a staunch supporter of the Revolution, Condorcet had managed to incur Robespierre's hostility).

Before leaving Turgot, it is important to stress once again the historical importance of Christianity in the formation of the secular modern conception of progress in Western Europe. In the first place, Turgot began his career as a reasonably devout student of theology at the Sorbonne, his aspiration then linked to a future in the Church. Second, just six months before the discourse on "The Successive Advances of the Human Mind" was given in 1750, he had presented another public discourse, this one on the crucial importance of Christianity to the progress of mankind. And third, it was Bossuet's Universal History, which I have already referred to, that Turgot acknowledged to be his inspiration for the writing, or the preparation of a plan of his own "Universal History." Bossuet, proud and convinced Christian that he was, constructed his history in terms of a succession of epochs, all designed and given effect by God. Turgot allowed God to disappear (he had lost his faith by 1751 when he wrote his "Universal History") and replaced Bossuet's "epochs" by "stages": stages of social and cultural progress, each emerging from its predecessor through human rather than divine causes. But Turgot's alterations notwithstanding, it is unlikely that his own secular work on progress would have been written apart from the inspiration derived from Bishop Bossuet and other Christian philosophers of history. He is an epitome, in this respect, of the whole history of the modern idea of progress."
R Nisbet - The idea of progress

The development of Humanism is similar to Turgot's journey, they just took god out of the equation. This is why you will often find very little difference between the views of many Christian and atheist/agnostic/deist philosophers around the time of the Enlightenment.

A fideistic epistemology is replaced by one reliant on skepticism and the application of reason to evidence. Same question: descendant or contradiction?

The idea that Christianity and reason/scepticism are mutually exclusive is not an accurate one.

The Physicist Paul Davies notes:

"Historians of science are well aware that Newton and his contemporaries believed that in doing science they were uncovering the divine plan for the universe in the form of its underlying mathematical order. This was explicitly stated by René Descartes:

t is God who has established the laws of nature, as a King establishes laws in his kingdom ... You will be told that if God has established these truths, he could also change them as a King changes his laws. To which it must be replied: yes, if his will can change. But I understand them as eternal and immutable. And I judge the same of God.

(Descartes, 1630)...

Clearly, then, the orthodox concept of laws of physics derives directly from theology. It is remarkable that this view has remained largely unchallenged after 300 years of secular science. Indeed, the “theological model” of the laws of physics is so ingrained in scientific thinking that it is taken for granted. The hidden assumptions behind the concept of physical laws, and their theological prov- enance, are simply ignored by almost all except historians of sci- ence and theologians. From the scientific standpoint, however, this uncritical acceptance of the theological model of laws leaves a lot to be desired."

Regarding an experimental approach to science:

"The experimental approach is justified primarily by appeals to the weakness of our sensory and cognitive capaci- ties. For many seventeenth-century English thinkers these weaknesses were understood as consequences of the Fall. Boyle and Locke, for their part, also place stress on the incapacities that necessarily attend the kind of beings that we are. But in both cases, the more important issue is the nature of human capacities rather than the nature of the Deity. And if the idea of a fall away from an originally perfect knowledge begins to decline in importance towards the end of the seventeenth century, it nonetheless played a crucial role by drawing attention to the question of the capacities of human nature in the present world." Peter Harrison - The fall of man and the foundations of modern science

In general, the Greek, and 'intellectualist' Christians such as Descartes, approach had not been based around experimentation as they believed that the senses and reason could be trusted to create a reliable understanding of nature. However, voluntarist theology, influenced numerous natural philosophers to reject this faith in reason.

Of course Christian theology wasn't the only possible route to such beliefs, but in this case it was the route and many earlier great thinkers had not taken this approach.

Moral theory changes from Divine Command Ethics - it's good because God did or commanded it - to the rational ethical method of humanism in which man is the judge of what is right and wrong after applying reason and empathy to beneficence.

As Vouthon noted, the role of conscience in Christianity (your rational ethics) was important, and dates back to Paul and the 'law is written on the heart' (although it required centuries of evolution to reach the form present at the start of the Enlightenment, and many Christians were far from progressive).

Most pre-modern cultures didn't believe in beneficence to Humanity, because there was no such thing in their worldview, although one developed out of Christian monotheism due to God creating man.

Here again I see far more similarity than difference when compared to the range of views present in other societies.

That's been my point all along - humanism is not a product of Christianity, but a radical departure from it, and the argument is supported by looking at these two systems of thought and comparing them as we have just done.

As stated above, I disagree on the radical departure bit. Well, I consider the removal of God to be radical, but much of the rest of the stuff stayed the same.

Obviously I don't consider there to be anything supernatural or magical about Christianity. If man can create Christian theology, then he can create all such ideas via other routes also.

It is also true that there were many influences from other cultures, new technologies, commerce and urbanisation, etc. that went into the development of modern science (and as I've said before, Christianity itself owes much to Greek philosophy).

Christianity, It's scriptures and traditions led to people viewing the world in a particular way, and one which was not common in the vast majority of pre-modern societies. We have had thousands of societies, with thousands of chances to create such an environment by chance of design, and they did not. From this is should be concluded that these are rare characteristics.

Had Europe not been Christian, it is possible everything would have happened the same, it's possible it would have happened quicker, but I can't say that it would be likely. Creating such a rare society seems like hitting a royal flush, it's possible in any hand, but much more likely you will get 'not a royal flush'.

Last edited: