• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meaning: The 2nd Fundamental Truth

Treasure Hunter

First truth:

In the first thread, I mentioned how the fear of God through painful reality checks leads to a hostility toward God and a desire for revenge. Still, this desire for revenge can be fleeting as it is associated with the pain of the reality check. As the pain lessens over time, the desire for revenge against God weakens. This causes you to sweep all of it under the rug and get back to your life.

Frustration builds the next time you are smacked with another reality check because you’ve already been here before, realizing that sweeping it all under the rug is not the solution. Your internally-directed frustration grows along with your externally-directed frustration.

The issue that needs a solution is how to keep hold of the desire for revenge against God. The reason why you have trouble holding onto it is because it’s not meaningful enough, and meaning is the highest moral motivator.

Here’s an interpretation of the idea which lacks enough meaning: “I want revenge against God for the pain I’ve suffered.”

Here’s an interpretation of the idea which has enough meaning to hold the desire for revenge: “There is no higher purpose than to seek justice on behalf of those who believe in God’s empty promises and have been betrayed.”

We are social creatures. This distribution of meaning-seeking seems to hold. It did for me.

This puts you into the Parable of the Prodigal Son as the younger brother seeking justice on behalf of the older brother, who is the rightful heir as the firstborn son. The younger brother identifies with his older brother, becomes a twin to him, even becomes a father to him, and prepares the way.