• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Max Lucado

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Does anyone else find Max Lucado kind of uncomfortably weird?

I mean, I'm hardly mainstream Christian, I have a lot of Eastern though, especially from Shinto and Taoism. But...

The first book I got was an unwelcome book recommend for The Purpose Driven Life. Not even read it. To me, it came at a time when I was seriously wanting to just be left alone and even the title was a sort of "you need to do something with your life." Actually , what I most wanted was to find some place to belong, to feel like ppl accept me regardless, not be badgered about my lack of professional ambition or purpose. In fact, the best sermon I ever had talked about how the SECULAR world measures our worth by what we've done , while Christian faith believes in grace and intrinsic woth. Strike one.

It mistakenly believed Max Lucado wrote The Five People You Meet In Heaven. That I could even think this terrible story could be his handiwork (least heavenly Heaven around, the whole thing is people unloading baggage on a guy who just wants a quiet afterlife) is strike two against him.

I just watched some tripe called the Christmas Candle. Like every time I looked up something stupid was happening. But I quit about the point that all the electric light exploded, ppl panicked to the point where they knock over Advent candles and were burning the church because they can't just calmly walk out the building (if I wanted to see ppl freak ouf and do stupid things I'd watch a B horror). Or these people are shivering in the cold and rather than teach us that God uses reality to perform miracles, we have basically a magic trick. They pray hard and the candle creates a dome of heat about 10-20 ft around in a snowstorm. One, God could have stopped the snowstorm, and two it looks very unrealistic to see this candle defying laws of thermodynamics. Plus, there's the whole message of putting God to the test and it's okay to do stupid and reckless things as long as you pray hard. How about, knocking on someone's door and being inside and then lighting a candle. Nope, let's have this absurd scene where people light this candle in the snow and it glows like the wick is lined with uranium.

Bonus! Max Lucado, I believe also wrote this Nativity story, that was from the perspective of angels, and they were spending a sizable portion of the book fighting demons. I think it's called An Angels Story. What the actual ****.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I find Max Lucado’s writing thin, maudlin and trite. He’s not in the least engaging. I find his theology shallow and mawkish, and waaaaay too Calvinistic. He’s very popular with the fundigelicals, and that tells me all I need to know.