1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maurice Hill, Philidelphia Shooter- Why Was He On The Street?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stanyon, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,067
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    John Calvin was a freedom fighting rebel?:eek:
    Well of course! Haven't you been listening? Religion is always used to justify whatever position you take. God is always on both sides.
    Didn't the southern slaveholders turn to Christianity to support the southern cause? Wasn't the biblical propriety of slavery preached from every southern pulpit?
    I'm not saying the slaveholders were the only ones defending slavery. What percentage of Lee's army do you think owned slaves?
    Slavery and a repressive, hierarchical society were the status quo. It's the status quo that conservatives defend. It's change they fear and oppose. To put it in a modern context, the southern working class was opposing their own interests.
    No true libertarians, eh?
    You're either for co-operation or competition; family values or exploitation; democracy or aristocracy.
    Was America founded to protect the privileged and let the "undeserving poor" starve?
    Aren't we all supposed to be working for the common good?

2. Enoch07

Enoch07 It's all a sick freaking joke.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,685
    Religion:
    Theistic Rationalist-Christian
    I never heard that sermon.

Very few.

Nope they succeeded over high taxation, not slavery abolition.

Being upset at being taxed unfairly is in their own interest.

You need to look up the no true scotsman fallacy.

I didn't say they weren't libertarian.

I said not all Libertarians are anarchist.

Nuance sweety, nuance!

Funny you should type it, but I don't think you believe that.

3. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,067
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    I thought you were something of a historian.
    Exactly my point. They were willing to lay down their lives for a status quo in which they had no stake; a status quo that exploited them and gave potential jobs to an unpaid workforce.
    They seceded over slavery and preservation of the oligarchy.: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...d/2011/01/03/ABHr6jD_story.html?noredirect=on
    Why Do Neoconfederates Rewrite History To Justify Secession?

The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States
    You need to look up the no true scotsman fallacy.

I didn't say they weren't libertarian.

I said not all Libertarians are anarchist.[/quote]Please explain the difference.
    So you think Im no true liberal, then?;)

4. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,144
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist
    Probably. I would expect it. Standard US politics.

5. Enoch07

Enoch07 It's all a sick freaking joke.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,685
    Religion:
    Theistic Rationalist-Christian
    Nah it was the taxes.

The state govts listed slavery as one reason yes.

But most men went to war to defend their homeland. The North invade the South after all.

Easy

Libertarians are diverse.

You can be a Libertarian and be many other things at once. For instance you can lean liberal or conservative. Anarchist is the looney ones.

No you are very much a liberal.

I just think they have lost their way.

6. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,794
    Religion:
    None
    To what end though? Short periods of imprisonment alone only serve to increase reoffending rates. Are you just interested in feeling like we’re doing something or do you want to address the actual problems?

That simply isn’t practical though. You’d be talking about thousands of people being added to an ever growing population of life-long prisoners, leaving the state responsible for millions of motiveless, aging people. You might as well go all out and call for executing all repeat offenders, at least that’d be viable and you’d only have to address the moral and effectiveness questions.

I don’t want to give him a pass, I want to prevent more of him being created in the future. You didn’t ask what should be done with him now, you asked how we got to this situation in the first place. You just don’t like the real answers because they don’t fit your simplistic “solutions”. If it was easy to fix, we’d have fixed it a long time ago. :cool: