• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matthew 16:18

LoTrobador

I think within the "traditional" Christianity there is a general consensus that the words from Matthew 16:18,
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

speak of the continuity of the Church - she will never cease to exist. As far as I'm aware, Joseph Smith's Translation did not change this passage in any way. I've seen quite a lot of articles in which this verse is used in opposition to the LDS teaching on the (very need and possibility of the) Restoration. How does the LDS Church view this passage and what's the response of Mormon apologetics to the critique based on it?

Regards :)

Last edited:

silvermoon383

Our take on it is that the Rock is revelation (which is how Peter learned that Jesus is the Messiah), and the gates of hell is death. To us this means that the Church is run via revelation, and that death can not stop it (which is a reference to the resurrection).

Another take on the gates of hell bit is that while the Apostasy ended the Church for a while, the Restoration means that they didn't prevail in the end.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Another take on this is that Peter James and John were the ones who restored the priesthood keys to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdry as resurrected personages.

Wither you take it literal or not it fall is line perfectly.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think within the "traditional" Christianity there is a general consensus that the words from Matthew 16:18,

speak of the continuity of the Church - she will never cease to exist. As far as I'm aware, Joseph Smith's Translation did not change this passage in any way. I've seen quite a lot of articles in which this verse is used in opposition to the LDS teaching on the (very need and possibility of the) Restoration. How does the LDS Church view this passage and what's the response of Mormon apologetics to the critique based on it?

Regards :)
Hi, LoTrobador. I read one explanation that made a lot of sense to me. It addressed the topic from a first-century Judeo-Christian perspective, which is what I think we need to do in order to properly understand what Christ was saying. Most Christians today believe “the gates of Hell” to have been a symbolic reference to the forces of evil, and that Jesus was saying, “Nothing, no evil power, not Satan or his followers will ever destroy my Church.” That’s not what he was saying at all, and that’s not how Peter and the other Apostles would have interpreted His remarks. To a first-century Jew, “the gates of Hell” would have had no such sinister connotations. It would have meant nothing more than the entrance to hades, or the world of the dead. Jesus Christ preached to the spirits of the dead during the three days His body lay in the tomb after His crucifixion. Those who had lived and died without hearing His gospel were given the opportunity to do so even after their deaths. Many accepted the truths they were taught and, as a result, were recipients of His grace. His gospel continues to be taught in the Spirit World today. Hence, “the gates of Hell” never have and never will prevail against His Church. Not even death will prevent the pure in heart from hearing and receiving the gospel.

Jesus was not saying that the institutional Church He established would always continue to teach the fulness of His gospel. It was prophesied that the early Church would fall into apostasy. Throughout the New Testament, the Apostles warned that this was to happen. Paul seemed particularly concerned about it. Among his statements to Christ's followers, are these:

Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition…

Galatians 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel…

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears…

Paul made it absolutely clear that (1)the flock would not only be attacked, it would not be spared, (2) Christ would not return to the earth until this universal "falling away" or "apostasy" had taken place, (3) these things were already beginning to take place as he spoke, and (4) the doctrines taught by the Savior would, in time, cease to endure.

The Apostles also spoke of a restoration of that which had been lost. As recorded in Acts 3:19-21, Peter prophesied of this restitution or “apokatastasis” (also translated as reconstitution, restoration or re-establishment) "when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.”

He did not specifically state when it would take place. However, he did say that Christ will not return until “the restitution of all things” had occurred. In other words, the second coming will take place after “all things” have been restored. The two events will not take place simultaneously. The Greek word for “until”, as used in this instance, is “achri.” It denotes completion of an act or event as in the statement, “You can’t go to the movies until you’ve cleaned your room.” Other examples of this usage are found in Luke 1:20, Romans 8:22 and Revelation 17:17.

In Revelation 14:6, John too spoke of the Restoration, when he described seeing "another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people…"

What reason could there be for an angel to have to bring the gospel to earth if it had never been taken away?

FFH

Veteran Member
Peter James and John appeared to Joseph Smith, layed hands on him, and RESTORED the Melchizedek Priesthood, which is the power to act in the name of the Lord on earth.

NOTHING has been changed, but rather, RESTORED. Peter is still the rock on which Jesus Christ's church is being directed.

Jesus, the rock, uses Peter, the rock, to help direct and govern his church on earth from heaven.

melchizedek.jpg

Last edited:

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
To me it means that the God's Church will prevail in the end. There may be times when Satan's influence is strong but ultimately the God will win.