• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matha, Pitha, Guru, Deiva - The hindu virtues that boggles minds

firedragon

Veteran Member
One day I was watching an Indian movie. It was one of those most acclaimed movies so big its a must watch. A young lady dances Bharatha Natyam,, which necessarily means "Bharatha or Indian, Natyam or Dance", and she begins the show by worshiping her Mother, then the Father, then her Teacher, last, but definitely not the least, "God".

Matha = Mother
Pitha = Father
Guru = Teacher or Master
Deiva = God or Deity

The Hindu tradition is that people go down to the earth like worshiping deity, and the pay homage to their parents. This is as common as seeing the sun rise everyday. But are they really paying homage to their parents just like paying homage to a God? That is showing respect to their parents. I am not referring to a modern day individual situation, but as a principle.

Some I have heard think that this kind of practice is not practical and it is erroneous. The children should endeavour in worldly things and this worshiping parents and teachers is absurd. But this tradition has been there for a long long time, and if its not so practical, it cannot be demonstrated as such because India was the biggest contributor in GDP prior to the British Raj.

What do you think about this kind of practice? Is it making them God, or is it making them special? Is it a good practice where children respect their parents so much or should they be basically worshiping themselves?? I know bowing to parents is not a practice in most other cultures and some even may consider it against their religious virtues, but how is this conflicting?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it making them God

They are God, as we all are.

Gurur Brahmā gurur Vishnu gurur devo Maheshwara
Gurur sakshat, param Brahman, tasmai shri gurave namah

“The guru is Brahmā, the guru is Vishnu, the guru is Maheshwara (“great god, i.e. Shiva).
The guru is verily Supreme Brahman, I bow to that revered guru”.

Traditionally one bows to touch the feet of elders, teachers parents.

firedragon

Veteran Member
They are God, as we all are.

Gurur Brahmā gurur Vishnu gurur devo Maheshwara
Gurur sakshat, param Brahman, tasmai shri gurave namah

“The guru is Brahmā, the guru is Vishnu, the guru is Maheshwara (“great god, i.e. Shiva).
The guru is verily Supreme Brahman, I bow to that revered guru”.

Traditionally one bows to touch the feet of elders, teachers parents.

Do you really think this is referring to pantheism?

I highly doubt it. And the quote you gave is a varnana of brahma, not an explanation of Matha, Pitha, Guru. They are two different things.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you really think this is referring to pantheism?

I highly doubt it. And the quote you gave is a varnana of brahma, not an explanation of Matha, Pitha, Guru. They are two different things.

I answered your question as a practicing Hindu.

1. You missed the point of the reverence given to parents and teachers.
2. You’re missing the teachings of the Mahāvākyāni.
3. You’re throwing around terms fast and loose just like people throw around the word karma without knowing what it really is.

Moreover, you’re spelling the words for mother and father wrong. You’re referring to schools and dumplings. This leads me to believe you just plucked words and ideas from somewhere.

I’m not going to waste any more time.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I answered your question as a practicing Hindu.

1. You missed the point of the reverence given to parents and teachers.
2. You’re missing the teachings of the Mahāvākyāni.
3. You’re throwing around terms fast and loose just like people throw around the word karma without knowing what it really is.

Moreover, you’re spelling the words for mother and father wrong. You’re referring to schools and dumplings. This leads me to believe you just plucked words and ideas from somewhere.

I’m not going to waste any more time.

Great. Thanks for your contribution.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think 'Idolatry' means following a leader who leads you away from the right way -- from what you know is right. We are all idolatrous (from strict monotheism) by degrees, some more than others.

I think the primary question is: is someone controlling them by pretending to speak to their parents in seances? That would be divination by the con artists, and it could be idolatry for the children. That does not sound like what is happening. It sounds like what is happening is the children are honoring their parents and are not being controlled.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
One day I was watching an Indian movie. It was one of those most acclaimed movies so big its a must watch. A young lady dances Bharatha Natyam,, which necessarily means "Bharatha or Indian, Natyam or Dance", and she begins the show by worshiping her Mother, then the Father, then her Teacher, last, but definitely not the least, "God".

Matha = Mother
Pitha = Father
Guru = Teacher or Master
Deiva = God or Deity

The Hindu tradition is that people go down to the earth like worshiping deity, and the pay homage to their parents. This is as common as seeing the sun rise everyday. But are they really paying homage to their parents just like paying homage to a God? That is showing respect to their parents. I am not referring to a modern day individual situation, but as a principle.

This is BhAratIya saMskruti

MAtRu devo bhava
pitRu devo bhava
AchArya devo bhava
atithI devo bhava

Be in such a conciousness, as if your mother is taking the place of Dev when she raises you, herself going thru' whatever hardships to protect and nurture you.
PitRu devo bhava - Father , same.
"Parents take place of God on earth?" -- proxy.

AchArya = Guru or teacher. They showed you the way , they imparted knowledge so you can sail in the world. So AchArya is to be treated as if Deva has come to you to teach.

-- up to here it is more about gratitude to be held in the heart, and to never forget what these 3 have done for you. They made you, shaped you.

atithi = guest. When you have guests over, the olden concept was - who knows, it could be Deva Himself come to test you , or impressed by your hospitality, wants to experience it, and has taken the form of an ordinary guest.
In the olden days , people were not crooks in general, doors were left open, and a guest would be typically someone who has travelled a very long distance just to visit you for your wellbeing, to bless you or stopping by to make sure you are ok before proceeding on their journey.
So, treat them with care, give the guest food, water, comfortable place to rest. This was the idea.

There are many stories where Deva came in guise of an ordinary guest. The host was very hospitable, and Deva, pleased, revealed their reality and said -- I bless you, with this. May your life be peaceful.

BramhA VishNu Mahesh came to Atri and AnasUya's ashram in the guise of 3 brAmhaN travelers, to test AnasUya who passed with flying colours and the couple were given 3 divine children - one of them was Gurudev Datta, the incarnation of VishNu, whose birth anniversary was on Dec 18th.
A yogi saying 'alak niranjan' at 12 noon, should be given food as it is lunch time. That could be a divine being or Deva Himself, come to bless the family.

Have experience of this.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are many stories where Deva came in guise of an ordinary guest. The host was very hospitable, and Deva, pleased, revealed their reality and said -- I bless you, with this. May your life be peaceful.

In the West we have Hebrews 13:2: Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

firedragon

Veteran Member
This is BhAratIya saMskruti

MAtRu devo bhava
pitRu devo bhava
AchArya devo bhava
atithI devo bhava

Be in such a conciousness, as if your mother is taking the place of Dev when she raises you, herself going thru' whatever hardships to protect and nurture you.
PitRu devo bhava - Father , same.
"Parents take place of God on earth?" -- proxy.

AchArya = Guru or teacher. They showed you the way , they imparted knowledge so you can sail in the world. So AchArya is to be treated as if Deva has come to you to teach.

-- up to here it is more about gratitude to be held in the heart, and to never forget what these 3 have done for you. They made you, shaped you.

atithi = guest. When you have guests over, the olden concept was - who knows, it could be Deva Himself come to test you , or impressed by your hospitality, wants to experience it, and has taken the form of an ordinary guest.
In the olden days , people were not crooks in general, doors were left open, and a guest would be typically someone who has travelled a very long distance just to visit you for your wellbeing, to bless you or stopping by to make sure you are ok before proceeding on their journey.
So, treat them with care, give the guest food, water, comfortable place to rest. This was the idea.

BramhA VishNu Mahesh came to Atri and AnasUya's ashram in the guise of 3 brAmhaN travelers, to test AnasUya who passed with flying colours and the couple were given 3 divine children - one of them was Gurudev Datta, the incarnation of VishNu, whose birth anniversary was on Dec 18th.
A yogi saying 'alak niranjan' at 12 noon, should be given food as it is lunch time. That could be a divine being or Deva Himself, come to bless the family.

Have experience of this.

What an amazing post. The virtues are mind boggling. Thank you so much.

I think the contribution of this kind of virtue to the world should be amplified. Thank you very much

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
In the West we have Hebrews 13:2: Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

There is the ancient Greek story of Baucis and Philemon, a very poor elderly couple who welcomed Zeus and Hermes, in disguise as hungry and tired travelers, when everyone in the village turned them away.

The couple were ready to kill their only goose, which was a source of eggs for them, sacrifice it to the gods in thanks, and feed the “travelers”. The two gods were so touched by the old couple’s hospitality they revealed themselves. The couple were terrified they’d be punished for having nothing to offer the gods. But Zeus and Hermes asked what kind of blessing the couple wanted. Sort of like Bhagavad Gita 9.26 “If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water I will accept it.”

They said they only wanted to serve the gods and not live without one another. So Zeus and Hermes turned the hut into a lavish temple, gave the couple all they needed to live a comfortable life, and when the time came for the couple to depart the world the gods granted that they would leave together and never be separated.

Oh, and the rest of the village... ? The gods drowned it in a flood.