• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masks

gnomon

I read it over a week ago. I don't argue links, (scriptures, dictionaries).

This is the closest I "remember" last reading. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).

I had also read that the droplets were too heavy. I think it was comparing it to flu and pnemonia symptoms.

Different site. Cold vs. Flu vs. COVID-19

"Mode of transmission: Current data suggest person-to-person transmission most commonly happens during close exposure to a person infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, primarily via respiratory droplets produced when the infected person speaks, coughs, or sneezes. Droplets can land in the mouths, noses, or eyes of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs of those within close proximity. Transmission also might occur through contact with contaminated surfaces followed by self-delivery to the eyes, nose, or mouth. The contribution of small respirable particles, sometimes called aerosols or droplet nuclei, to close proximity transmission is currently uncertain. However, airborne transmission from person-to-person over long distances is unlikely. Recent experience with outbreaks in nursing homes has reinforced that residents with COVID-19 frequently do not report typical symptoms such as fever or respiratory symptoms; some may not report any symptoms. Unrecognized asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic infections likely contribute to transmission in these and other healthcare settings. Source control, which involves having the infected person wear a cloth face covering or facemask over their mouth and nose to contain their respiratory secretions, might help reduce the risk of transmission of SARS CoV-2 from both symptomatic and asymptomatic people."

Verbatim from your first link which is the most recent and states absolutely nothing about the "heaviness of droplets". Earlier you mentioned that airborne transmission was false but this quoted thread from the most recent CDC link you provided states "over long distances is unlikely". That is not the same as airborne as quoted in the beginning of this link "Current date suggest person-to-person transmission most commonly happens during close exposure to a person infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, primarily via respiratory droplets produced when the infect person speaks, coughs, or sneezes. Droplets can land in the mouths, noses, or eyes of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs of those within close proximity." Then the piece goes on about transmission through surfaces. That it is far more unlikely.

But you stated that the virus was not airborne. You stated a falsehood and actually provided a link from the CDC stating that you are wrong. So why are you doing this?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You think the ears are connected to the vagina...???

I wrote
I guess it could feasibly be transferred through the ears which wind up connecting to the throat or vagina but don't hold me to that.

Which may have been confusing for the hard of understanding, i apologise let me rewrite in terms you can understand

I guess it could feasibly be transferred through the ears which wind up connecting to the throat --- Or vagina [if an infected person gets the virus in there for you] but don't hold me to that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"Mode of transmission: Current data suggest person-to-person transmission most commonly happens during close exposure to a person infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, primarily via respiratory droplets produced when the infected person speaks, coughs, or sneezes. Droplets can land in the mouths, noses, or eyes of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs of those within close proximity. Transmission also might occur through contact with contaminated surfaces followed by self-delivery to the eyes, nose, or mouth. The contribution of small respirable particles, sometimes called aerosols or droplet nuclei, to close proximity transmission is currently uncertain. However, airborne transmission from person-to-person over long distances is unlikely. Recent experience with outbreaks in nursing homes has reinforced that residents with COVID-19 frequently do not report typical symptoms such as fever or respiratory symptoms; some may not report any symptoms. Unrecognized asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic infections likely contribute to transmission in these and other healthcare settings. Source control, which involves having the infected person wear a cloth face covering or facemask over their mouth and nose to contain their respiratory secretions, might help reduce the risk of transmission of SARS CoV-2 from both symptomatic and asymptomatic people."

Verbatim from your first link which is the most recent and states absolutely nothing about the "heaviness of droplets". Earlier you mentioned that airborne transmission was false but this quoted thread from the most recent CDC link you provided states "over long distances is unlikely". That is not the same as airborne as quoted in the beginning of this link "Current date suggest person-to-person transmission most commonly happens during close exposure to a person infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, primarily via respiratory droplets produced when the infect person speaks, coughs, or sneezes. Droplets can land in the mouths, noses, or eyes of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs of those within close proximity." Then the piece goes on about transmission through surfaces. That it is far more unlikely.

But you stated that the virus was not airborne. You stated a falsehood and actually provided a link from the CDC stating that you are wrong. So why are you doing this?

You have to break up your points. I can't figure which info you're referring to by a full block of text.

Airborn meaning it lingers a d you can catch it regardless how far you are part from the other person. Like gas or excuse the comparison, mist.

Any liquid can be airborne as on fly from one person to another. It's not a gas cause the drops are too heavy to "linger" in the air.

I think you missed something:

"However, airborne transmission from person-to-person over long distances is unlikely."

Same link. You didnt refer to the whole information on the background as well.

Anyhow. You won't get it and other viruses by just standing next to a person without some form of transmission. Gasses don't have that mode of transition.

Why is this fact a problem here?

gnomon

You have to break up your points. I can't figure which info you're referring to by a full block of text.

Airborn meaning it lingers a d you can catch it regardless how far you are part from the other person. Like gas or excuse the comparison, mist.

Any liquid can be airborne as on fly from one person to another. It's not a gas cause the drops are too heavy to "linger" in the air.

I think you missed something:

"However, airborne transmission from person-to-person over long distances is unlikely."

Same link. You didnt refer to the whole information on the background as well.

Anyhow. You won't get it and other viruses by just standing next to a person without some form of transmission. Gasses don't have that mode of transition.

Why is this fact a problem here?

Airborne does not mean that it lingers for some specified time frame in the air. It simply means that such a virus can be transmitted via the host expelling droplets containing the virus into the air.

An example of a virus that is not airborne is HIV.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Airborne does not mean that it lingers for some specified time frame in the air. It simply means that such a virus can be transmitted via the host expelling droplets containing the virus into the air.

An example of a virus that is not airborne is HIV.

The context was more gas (stationary) rather than droplets flying from one place to another. Couldn't figure the right word. But when it says it's unlikely, it's not talking about air transmission (though CDC does say the droplets are to heavy to do so-stay in the air). I'm not sure if there are other respiratory viruses you can catch by being in the same space as the sick person without the latter being there. I'm not a doctor so.

I think colds and other coronaviruses are similar. You can be affected by being within the sick person's reach. (Hence 6 feet rule) but never heard these virus staying in the air for an extended period of time to where one can catch it by being in "their space."

But I'd assume this is for any or most respiratory viruses. Im not singling out this new one.

gnomon

The context was more gas (stationary) rather than droplets flying from one place to another. Couldn't figure the right word. But when it says it's unlikely, it's not talking about air transmission (though CDC does say the droplets are to heavy to do so-stay in the air). I'm not sure if there are other respiratory viruses you can catch by being in the same space as the sick person without the latter being there. I'm not a doctor so.

I think colds and other coronaviruses are similar. You can be affected by being within the sick person's reach. (Hence 6 feet rule) but never heard these virus staying in the air for an extended period of time to where one can catch it by being in "their space."

But I'd assume this is for any or most respiratory viruses. Im not singling out this new one.

So you now understand that, "heavy" droplets or not this type of virus, just like a flu or a cold is "airborne". Unlike a sexually transmitted virus?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So you now understand that, "heavy" droplets or not this type of virus, just like a flu or a cold is "airborne". Unlike a sexually transmitted virus?

Airborne in the context I use I was thinking of gases not droplets flying from one place to the next.

Not sure how HIV got into this. I'm just clarifying what I said not debating you.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
science sent a weather balloon up with a vacuum cleaner and a trap
just to see what could be up there.....5miles high

it came down with a spider in it

the upper atmosphere moves really fast

any up lifting breeze will carry for a great distance

and besides....like any other flu....
you turn is coming
you will be infected
your resistance is futile

gnomon

Airborne in the context I use I was thinking of gases not droplets flying from one place to the next.

Not sure how HIV got into this. I'm just clarifying what I said not debating you.

I brought up HIV as an example of how different infections are spread.

edit: But no problem. The information about this virus has been confusing from the get go. Some good news it that this particular coronavirus is not as contagious as they thought through surfaces and spread more often through close personal contact. Well......kind of good news in that we don't have to be as afraid about touching surfaces and freaking out but there is that loss of personal contact.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I brought up HIV as an example of how different infections are spread.

edit: But no problem. The information about this virus has been confusing from the get go. Some good news it that this particular coronavirus is not as contagious as they thought through surfaces and spread more often through close personal contact. Well......kind of good news in that we don't have to be as afraid about touching surfaces and freaking out but there is that loss of personal contact.

I kinda figured when I read the nature of the virus. But I guess people are at high risk of other people jumping to cough on people's faces. We've never been "that" friendly here. But the types of masks I see from the FedEx guy wearing Dark Vader like masks to others just a scarf. I had to get one to go in stores but it's just material I can fold in my pocket so I can jog. Unless it's a gas, I'm not too woried for myself.

I know a few others at my church say they have it. Though if they have the novel one specifically, it has to be more than a case number.

gnomon

I kinda figured when I read the nature of the virus. But I guess people are at high risk of other people jumping to cough on people's faces. We've never been "that" friendly here. But the types of masks I see from the FedEx guy wearing Dark Vader like masks to others just a scarf. I had to get one to go in stores but it's just material I can fold in my pocket so I can jog. Unless it's a gas, I'm not too woried for myself.

I know a few others at my church say they have it. Though if they have the novel one specifically, it has to be more than a case number.

The concept behind the mask is the fact that this particular virus has a longer incubation period than the cold or the flu. The mask helps prevent people who are asymptomatic but viral from spreading it. In other words, you might not know you have it but can spread it but if you wear a mask in public that will prevent further infection. So therefore if everyone wears a mask in public while dealing with others it will reduce the spread of the infection.

Wandering Monk

The concept behind the mask is the fact that this particular virus has a longer incubation period than the cold or the flu. The mask helps prevent people who are asymptomatic but viral from spreading it. In other words, you might not know you have it but can spread it but if you wear a mask in public that will prevent further infection. So therefore if everyone wears a mask in public while dealing with others it will reduce the spread of the infection.

You wouldn't believe how many times I have had to make this point on social media.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Yes. I know. It doesnt take away from the mask used because of fear regardless why and how masks work and the facts. I'm talking more about people reactions in relation to masks not the use of masks themselves. It's general observation from my immediate environment rather than a conclusion of mask use in general.

gnomon

Yes. I know. It doesnt take away from the mask used because of fear regardless why and how masks work and the facts. I'm talking more about people reactions in relation to masks not the use of masks themselves. It's general observation from my immediate environment rather than a conclusion of mask use in general.

Understood. It is actually a crime in many Southern states to wear a mask in public, namely unenforced misdemeanor crimes, due to the history of the Klan in the South. But cultures change.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Droplets versus aerosols.
Droplets are big and, in still air, tend to fall pretty quickly. Aerosols are <5 microns and persist longer in the air. Airborn transmission is the most problematic, with viral particles small enough to stay airborn for long periods.

Then there is variation in infectiousness. Some diseased can be transmitted by only a few viruses, others take many. It’s Not Whether You Were Exposed to the Virus. It’s How Much.

Mask material varies in filtration effectiveness, too: The Best Coronavirus Face Mask Materials, According To A New Study