• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masculine/butch Goddesses?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Okay, so I know that there's a ton of Gods, even in my own tradition (Greco-Roman), who are feminine and androgynous, but what about Goddesses who gender bend? Does anyone know of any Goddesses who are more masculine, transform into men at times, etc.?

I ask this because I'm a female to male transsexual and it would be cool to know of some deities I can relate to on that level, as a trans man. :)

Sees

Dragonslayer
Don't know of any off-hand...I think war/warrior Goddesses will probably be closest.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
The closest I can think of is Artemis who is a hunter, a warrior and whose behaviour would fit into what most patriarchal cultures consider 'masculine'. Of course there are more stereotypically genteel, feminine goddesses like Aphrodite or Hera who each have a violent side too.

Last edited:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Okay, so I know that there's a ton of Gods, even in my own tradition (Greco-Roman), who are feminine and androgynous, but what about Goddesses who gender bend? Does anyone know of any Goddesses who are more masculine, transform into men at times, etc.?

I ask this because I'm a female to male transsexual and it would be cool to know of some deities I can relate to on that level, as a trans man. :)

The Hindu Goddess, Durga Maa is one tough warrior. Not androgynous, per say, but takes on a fierce, more masculine role as a fighter. Plus she's often depicted riding a male lion....like a boss ;)

MahisasuraMardini_21480.jpg

Liu

Inanna (later Ishtar, Astarte, etc.), the Sumerian goddess of war and sexuality, was said to also appear in a male form, and to be able to transform males into females, and females into males.

There even was a sculpture found in an Ishtar temple at Mari of a very female looking musician with a male name who is assumed to have been a priest of her - that at least would imply that people of nondual gender had some way of being integrated into society at that time, but it of course is unproven. Normally, devotees chose a deity of the opposite sex as their main deity in Sumeria.

Then there are goddesses (and similar) who are "masculine" in that sense that they insist on having the active part in sexual intercourse, especially Lilith, and also Kali. I take it that you already know those two well enough.

And, not exactly a goddess, but I recall some Norse saga where a woman inherits the reign over their country from her father or husband and from then on gets referred to with male pronouns and acts as a male (but retains the female name). I don't remember the details.

Being genderqueer myself (born female), I think this topic might be of inspiration for me as well.

Last edited: