• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marrying a creationist

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

Random

Quaint story: now if we could all stop reinforcing the wholly unnecessary false dichotomy of Creation/Evolution we might have more intellectually compatible couples marrying than ever! :yes:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I don't know...could be me but I think the reason that couple don't have much of a problem with each other's opposing views is because the subject doesn't come up often. If the Creationist partner was more fundamental, vocal and attended church regularly, I can't see it working out for the long term. He seemed pretty apathetic about religion for the most part. :shrug:

However, it was a good point about his family accepting her without much question and she was the one judging.

FatMan

I'm fairly certain that the topic of creationism vs. evolution would come up far fewer times than the topics of "What's for Dinner?", "Why won't your Mother Butt Out", and "Do You Have To Watch Sports Again" in most marriages.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Strong woman. That'd be a deal-breaker for me.

"You're a creationist, and your family are fundamentalist Christians? Oh sweetie, it was really nice meeting you! Have a good life!" :D

JerryL

I'm an athiest who's never dated a fellow athiest (no reason, just didn't meet a single one and start dating). I've never dated a fundamentalist either, so I suppose I cannot speak to the matter.

I think the problem would be me. I enjoy debating. I enjoy discussing, and I'm a bit intolerant of internally dishonest positions (people who believe they have a rational foundation when, in fact they don't, as differentiated from people who simply choose to believe and admit it, which I'm fine with as it's honest, but I do sometimes argue).

Fundie family? I could do that. Easy enough to control certain topics. There are elements of my family that are pretty fundamentalist. Fundie spouse? Depends on the person. But if I take most people, and then put such a (pardon the pun) fundamental difference, it might be bad.

It could be done I think (though the fundamentalists I most often find myself interested in are forbidden by their religion from marrying a non-Muslim), but it would take some work from us both.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I wonder what will happen when they have kids taking Biology in HS?

Until then, I expect the problems are easy to dodge.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Creation and evolution address two different subjects. There's no reason one can't believe in both, unless creationism is defined very broadly.

One addresses agency, ie: Who did it? The other addresses mechanism, ie: How was it done? These aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

I believe my truck was created by Ford. I also believe in automotive engineering.

des

Interesting story. These fundamentalists don't seem as impassioned as the ones I know, that's all I can say. As there are many sorts of beliefs and ideas inherent (almost) in fundamentalism (assuming it is fundamentalism), for instance that would say that a Quaker would go to hell (if she didn't believe in the literal word of the Bible. In some ways more devout in her beliefs than he was in his. If it were the reverse, probably wouldn't work. But strange things can happen. You always hear of the right wing Republicans and left wing Democrats marrying and there are some well knonw couples. I think in some ways that would be harder for me.

--des