• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Married and Living Apart

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

Interesting article on msn: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13476989/site/newsweek/

It sounds like a good idea to me, but I like living with my wife. We have seperate rooms in our house for privacy: we have seperate offices that dual as rooms that facilitate our hobbies. We have a large three bedroom house and no kids, and the two office setup has worked out great, but she wants a bedroom as a guest-room and she's movin' in on my turf.:yes:

My answer to her when she ased was: Sure you can move into my office, as long as I can sell your car to buy a Collings.

Smoke

Done here.
angellous_evangellous said:
It sounds like a good idea to me, but I like living with my wife. We have seperate rooms in our house for privacy: we have seperate offices that dual as rooms that facilitate our hobbies. We have a large three bedroom house and no kids, and the two office setup has worked out great, but she wants a bedroom as a guest-room and she's movin' in on my turf.:yes:
We have a three-bedroom house. One room is the library/office, which we share, but which is dominated by my books. (That's where I am now.)

John's insistence on tidiness completely destroys my ability to keep up with where anything is. I like things out where I can see them; he likes everything put away. So the guest room is officially designated as the place where I'm allowed to stack books and papers on the furniture without having somebody come along and "clean up after" me. That's the theory. In practice, my stacks of books and papers find their way into the office and the den, and his compulsion to tidy up won't allow him to let the guest room go completely to seed, so we've evolved a different sort of compromise where each just tries not to drive the other completely round the bend.

We could really live in one big room except for the fact that I'm a night person and he's a morning person, and we need someplace quiet where he can get to sleep early and I can sleep in. We always eat in the den, and in our old apartment we had our computers set up on tables in front of the sofas in the den, so we could be on the computer while watching tv and we could both be in the same room whether we both wanted to watch tv or not. However, we didn't find that a sofa makes a good work station.

I don't think we'd ever even consider living apart, though, unless we broke up altogether. John has two weekends a year when he works sixteen hour days, and I consider those good opportunities to go see my granny or go off on a little research trip. Other than that, we've never even considered spending the night apart, and the only time we do anything separately on a social level is on Mother's Day, when he visits his mother and I visit mine.

A

angellous_evangellous

MidnightBlue said:
We have a three-bedroom house. One room is the library/office, which we share, but which is dominated by my books. (That's where I am now.)

John's insistence on tidiness completely destroys my ability to keep up with where anything is. I like things out where I can see them; he likes everything put away. So the guest room is officially designated as the place where I'm allowed to stack books and papers on the furniture without having somebody come along and "clean up after" me. That's the theory. In practice, my stacks of books and papers find there way into the office and the den, and his compulsion to tidy up won't allow him to let the guest room go completely to seed, so we've evolved a different sort of compromise where each just tries not to drive the other completely round the bend.

We could really live in one big room except for the fact that I'm a night person and he's a morning person, and we need someplace quiet where he can get to sleep early and I can sleep in. We always eat in the den, and in our old apartment we had our computers set up on tables in front of the sofas in the den, so we could be on the computer while watching tv and we could both be in the same room whether we both wanted to watch tv or not. However, we didn't find that a sofa makes a good work station.

I don't think we'd ever even consider living apart, though, unless we broke up altogether. John has two weekends a year when he works sixteen hour days, and I consider those good opportunities to go see my granny or go off on a little research trip. Other than that, we've never even considered spending the night apart, and the only time we do anything separately on a social level is on Mother's Day, when he visits his mother and I visit mine.

That's justification enough for seperate offices. In the summer, my office is perfectly tidy. When I'm doing serious research, I usually have about 1000 pages of journal articles and up to 200 books laying around, most open to the pages that I need. It's absolute chaos. We're having to put bookcases in our living room and bedroom due to her move.

The good thing is I'll have a second desk (hers) on which to stack my stuff. :p

Once my wife's mother came over unexpectantly and my wife organized my mess. :foot: She hasn't done that again.

A

angellous_evangellous

SoyLeche said:
I don't think I'd like it, but then again, we've got a kid so that complicates the issue.

We wouldn't like living apart, either.

I like having her around.:angel2:

Smoke

Done here.
That's justification enough for seperate offices. In the summer, my office is perfectly tidy. When I'm doing serious research, I usually have about 1000 pages of journal articles and up to 200 books laying around, most open to the pages that I need. It's absolute chaos.
I knew I liked you for a reason!

The workstation I want is a huge horseshoe shaped arrangement with the computer at the top of the arc and stepped sides so I can have lots of open books around me. I never need 200 open books, but I often need ten or twenty or more, and almost always need at least three or four. To be perfectly frank about it, I'd really like to have two or three networked computers to myself, too, because split-screen arrangements don't really work for me.

A

angellous_evangellous

MidnightBlue said:
I knew I liked you for a reason!

The workstation I want is a huge horseshoe shaped arrangement with the computer at the top of the arc and stepped sides so I can have lots of open books around me. I never need 200 open books, but I often need ten or twenty or more, and almost always need at least three or four. To be perfectly frank about it, I'd really like to have two or three networked computers to myself, too, because split-screen arrangements don't really work for me.

Sweet! I've gotten a lot better at having all those open books laying around (mostly because I've started quoting myself :D ), but if the wife wants to see me when I'm working, I need to work fast and not worry about finding stuff when I need it.

evearael

With my husband in the military, we are already forced to be apart for large stretches of time... I couldn't imagine voluntarily doing that while he is home and like SoyLeche we have our daughter to consider.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I cannot fathom living apart. In fact, in the 5 years we've been married we've only spent one night apart...and that was against our will and unavoidable. I usually can't even fall asleep until he's gotten into bed. Other than that I am fiercely independent and insist on making my own money. :)

Rick and his ex lived apart for three years.....it doesn't work well for most couples and one of the reasons he's remarried.

A

angellous_evangellous

Now ya'll realize that the folks in the article live in the same apartment building on the same floor -- just a few doors down from one another. It's not like it's a long distance relationship.

evearael

Now ya'll realize that the folks in the article live in the same apartment building on the same floor -- just a few doors down from one another. It's not like it's a long distance relationship.
Yes, but that would still be too much of a distance for me. We've blended our lives and personal spaces. It just seems unnatural for us to have entirely separated living spaces. A single room makes sense for one mate's hobbies or office, though.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Yes, and maybe it works for them but I couldn't imagine wanting to be married and not sleep in the same bed or wake up together. But, to each his own. In marriages like eveareal's where her husband is in the military and gone sometimes...that's one thing. Obviously that's not their preference and will change at some point.

Maybe that couple ultimately just wanted a tax break. ;)

I hate being apart from my husband for more than a day...I couldn't stand not living with him. What's the point of being married if you choose to live apart? Sounds shady to me.