1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark 8:34 - "take up their cross"

Discussion in 'Christianity DIR' started by Eddi, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Eddi

Eddi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +863
    Religion:
    Christian who entertains Simulation Theory
    In Mark 8:34 Jesus says:

“Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me..."

What was he thinking when he said "take up their cross" - isn't that a reference to his crucifixion - which had not yet happened when we get to Mark 8?

Or was it a common saying at that place and time?

In Mark 8:31-32 Jesus says that in the future he will be killed and rise again...

So, when he was speaking in Mark 8:34 was he demonstrating specific knowledge regarding his own fate, i.e. knowledge of the exact method of his own execution?

2. eik

eik Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Religion:
    Christianity
    Absolutely so. As you have already pointed out in the passage immediately preceeding Mark 8:34 he was predicting his own death. Matthew 26:1-2 discloses that he was aware that the method was crucifixion. This came from Deuteronomy 21:23 ("anyone who is hung is cursed in the sight of God").