• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marijuana affects your brain's ability to function at higher levels

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
For those that were in the 60's drug culture, this finding is no surprise. Heavy use by those whose brains are not fully matured suffer more damage which is also no surprise to me.

Using marijuana may affect your ability to think and plan, study says

Remember those classic stoner dudes -- Cheech and Chong, anyone? -- spending their days in a weed-drenched room (or car), capable of little besides finding that next great high?
Studies have long shown that getting high can harm cognitive function. Now, a new review of research, published Thursday in the journal Addiction, finds that impact may last well beyond the initial high, especially for adolescents.
"Our study enabled us to highlight several areas of cognition impaired by cannabis use, including problems concentrating and difficulties remembering and learning, which may have considerable impact on users' daily lives," said coauthor Dr. Alexandre Dumais, associate clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of Montreal.
"Cannabis use in youth may consequently lead to reduced educational attainment, and, in adults, to poor work performance and dangerous driving. These consequences may be worse in regular and heavy users," Dumais said.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
This is an exceptionally poorly written article.

Here is an excerpt from the abstract of the actual paper:

Conclusion

Meta-analytical data on the acute effects of cannabis use on neurocognitive function have shown that cannabis intoxication leads to small to moderate deficits in several cognitive domains. These acute impairments accord with documented residual effects, suggesting that the detrimental effects of cannabis persist beyond acute intake.
"acute" = while you're toking, "residual" = after toking

So what the paper actually found out is that heavy marihuana use can have "small to moderate" effects after use in some cognitive areas (mostly motoric and memory).

The abstract does not tell how long these effects last, or whether any long term studies were even part of the metastudy to begin with.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Like with alcohol and caffeine, there is a thing called moderation. As for developing brains, I don't believe anyone has advocated for recreational use by minors.

Personal freedom and personal responsibility go great together like peanut butter and *jelly.

*fruit spread not gelatin.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For those that were in the 60's drug culture, this finding is no surprise. Heavy use by those whose brains are not fully matured suffer more damage which is also no surprise to me.

Remember those classic stoner dudes -- Cheech and Chong, anyone? -- spending their days in a weed-drenched room (or car), capable of little besides finding that next great high?
Studies have long shown that getting high can harm cognitive function. Now, a new review of research, published Thursday in the journal Addiction, finds that impact may last well beyond the initial high, especially for adolescents.
"Our study enabled us to highlight several areas of cognition impaired by cannabis use, including problems concentrating and difficulties remembering and learning, which may have considerable impact on users' daily lives," said coauthor Dr. Alexandre Dumais, associate clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of Montreal.
"Cannabis use in youth may consequently lead to reduced educational attainment, and, in adults, to poor work performance and dangerous driving. These consequences may be worse in regular and heavy users," Dumais said.

The youth thing was always known. Now I see adults also suffer some impairment from it. Thanks for the article.

I never did weed in my life.

Suave

Simulated character

Well then, if my cognition is compromised by marijuana, I shall refrain from toking.

Good bye Mary, Good bye Jane, will we ever meet again?

2hh010.jpg

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
This is hardly new information, but try telling potheads the obvious facts. They will start talking about medicinal purposes, which is a load of Bologna.... they do it for the high.

QuestioningMind

This is hardly new information, but try telling potheads the obvious facts. They will start talking about medicinal purposes, which is a load of Bologna.... they do it for the high.

Clearly potheads aren't the only ones who like to ignore obvious facts. The medicinal benefits of marijuana have been well documented... now that people are allowed to do independent studies. And even if it's true that smoking pot has negative effects on some people, it clearly doesn't apply to everyone. There are far too many highly successful and highly motivated people who smoke pot to claim otherwise.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I agree it's for the recreational high 100%, but there are also legitimate medical applications that make Marijuana a practical and useful drug as well. Pain management and anxiety issues being a couple. Just remove the THC first.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I agree it's for the recreational high 100%, but there are also legitimate medical applications that make Marijuana a practical and useful drug as well. Pain management and anxiety issues being a couple. Just remove the THC first.
Do you support alcohol prohibition? I thought you were a pro freedom, anti "nanny state" guy?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It appears some were successfully spoon-fed propaganda by government programs as children and then never properly developed critical thinking skills as they grew into adulthood.