• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mantra Yoga - questions

Namaste All,

I have decided to take steps on the shaiva path in practice as well, and I'd like to do mantra yoga daily. But I need some clarifcation, please. That's why I began this thread with specific questions:

One or more mantras?
I have studied two shaiva mantras so far, which are 'Om Namah Shivaya' and 'Arunachala Shiva'. I prefer this latter one, I have more feelings for that one as I have been on a pilgrimage to the Arunachala Hill in TN, India.
Which is better - if one person chooses one mantra and uses it only or can one use more, one after the other, depending on mood for example?

One japa mala for one mantra?
Is it true that one japa mala should be used for only one mantra? And if one wants to use another mantra, then one should use another japa mala for that?

Right time of the mantra yoga?
When is it better to do mantra yoga? At dawn? Before sunrise? In the evening before going to sleep? Or when? What can be known about it?

How many rounds a day shall I start with?

Thank you for your helpful answers.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaste All,

I have decided to take steps on the shaiva path in practice as well, and I'd like to do mantra yoga daily. But I need some clarifcation, please. That's why I began this thread with specific questions:

dear moi .

I wont comment on the actual mantra s chosen but I would like to comment on method

One or more mantras?
I have studied two shaiva mantras so far, which are 'Om Namah Shivaya' and 'Arunachala Shiva'. I prefer this latter one, I have more feelings for that one as I have been on a pilgrimage to the Arunachala Hill in TN, India.
Which is better - if one person chooses one mantra and uses it only or can one use more, one after the other, depending on mood for example?

At first if you are new to mantra ? prehaps choosing the one to which you have the most conection is the best place to start , it would be better to realy get the feel of one before progressing on to another .
One japa mala for one mantra?
Is it true that one japa mala should be used for only one mantra? And if one wants to use another mantra, then one should use another japa mala for that?

yes , would help you understand the sacred nature of the mantra .

Right time of the mantra yoga?
When is it better to do mantra yoga? At dawn? Before sunrise? In the evening before going to sleep? Or when? What can be known about it?

morning , is concidered a more pure time of day , therefore an easier time to concentrate and gain the full benifit from your chanting .

How many rounds a day shall I start with?

start with what you feel comfortable with , it is better to do less but with good attention and slowly increase as you feel comfortable .

keep it simple ,

namaskars ....:namaste ratikala

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
moi108: There are no hard and fast rules when you are deciding for yourself. Under a Guru's guidance, the guidelines might become stringent. Before that, well, we have free will to do whatever we want.

There are many Hindus that believe that mantra is less powerful without diksha from a qualified Guru. It won't do you any harm, just not a s much good.

I agree with Ratikala that you should go easy at first, and slowly work your way into more intensity.

I am nonhindu yogini as my name says, and I personally believe that you should pray or meditate when the thought enters your mind or you have stress.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
A mālā or specific number of repetitions is not a requirement unless you have taken diksha from a guru. You can repeat the mantra mentally or vocally, or subvocally any time or anywhere. Having and using a mālā will certainly not hurt if you are not initiated into the mantra. It may even help develop discipline and consistency. This is all according to Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya. I will very often mentally chant Om namo Nārāyanāya before going to sleep, or at any other time it occurs to me to call on God.