• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man's Will as a transcendent force

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me.

I was recently watching a Japanese Manga cartoon called Berserk.

It started off with a quote that went something like this:

'Man's will is governed by a transcendental force that he does not control...'

Well, words to that effect. It intrigued me very much and I was wondering from what area of philosophy or thought it came from. If I remember rightly, it was a Buddhist saying, but I'm not 100% on that.

Anyway, I look forward to your responses.

Rex

Founder
I assume is being Japanese it is Buddhism. I couldn't find out anything else but I am sure someone will chime in soon!

Rex

Founder
dannyfrankszzz said:
This is the translation of the quote that I found:

In this world, man's destiny is controlled by some transcendental destiny or law.

At least, man knows that he has no control over his own will.

I think it may have been said by:

Shen Zhou

A native of Wu county,JiangSu province.His style name was Qi Nan and his sobriquet was Shi Tian.He was born in a aristo-cratic family,but he had no interesting to be an official and was absorbed in painting and poem.First studying painting under Du Qiong,he was talented in painting landscapes and human figures.His landscapes paintings followed the style of Dong Yuan and Ju Ran.His paintings were called as "Wide Shen" or "Slender Shen" due to his meticulous or free strokes.His flower-and-bird paintings created the new style of freehand drawing in the Ming Dynasty.He was the leader of the "Wu Men"school literati and was honored as the Four Great Masters in the Ming Dynasty with Wen Zhenming,Tang Yin and Qiu Ying.

That is all I found.