• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man's Interpretation

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Strawman say that only The Bible being divinely inspired is reliable as if it was written as anything else but by God via verbally and literally speaking as a voice to men, their corrupt minds would corrupt the proccess.

However:

Humans are flawed, therefore even if the words on paper are 100% right, no human can correctly interpret them, EVER.

Using strawman arguments against itself is fun.

Would you then go so far as to reject all of scripture?

waitasec

Veteran Member
I would say to that....quoting out of context...is trolling
and in the same breath you make retort and fail to be say how such things are odd.

How...so much like you.

speaking the language i understand = interpretation

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Of course you did. Interpretation is the act of deriving meaning from the text. If you've found meaning in the Bible, then you've made an interpretation.

That may be the dictionary definition, but practically when people are interpreting, they are inserting their own personal meaning. A different approach to interpreting is seeking the author's original intent. Pegg might have been doing that. I don't know, I'd have to read that post.

waitasec

Veteran Member
That may be the dictionary definition, but practically when people are interpreting, they are inserting their own personal meaning. A different approach to interpreting is seeking the author's original intent. Pegg might have been doing that. I don't know, I'd have to read that post.

so pegg is a biblical scholar?

besides one would have to peel back layer after layer of interpretations in order to get to the authors intent, since what we have are not the original scripts..but copies of copies of copies...

jasonwill2

YOu can't know their intent without asking them, and they are all dead. And at that a fallen human mind transcribing even for a god is prone to making mistakes.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I believe everyone has to find their own truth, and we interpret the Bible and other religious scriptures to enhance our belief. I think the trouble begins when others try to force their truth on you.

The truth about God and his message is not relative and subjective, according to the Bible.
He wouldn't be a jealous God if He were ok with everyone finding there "own" truth. He hated false gods, His law in the Old Testament was extremely specific, He told Josbua not to turn from it to the right or to the left. The New Testament is riddled with passages that describe right and wrong in black and white and allow no wiggle room for a person to have their own truth that conflicts with God's truth.

John 12:48-50
"He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day. [49] "For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak. [50] "I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me."

1 Timothy 4:16
Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in these things, for as you do this you will ensure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you.

2 Peter 3:16
as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

2 Peter 1:20
But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one''s own interpretation,

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

1 Timothy 6:3
If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching,

Galatians 1:6-9
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel--- [7] which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. [8] But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! [9] As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

--Lot of absolutes here.

The God of the Bible does not agree with this premise you described. One cannot believe both in the Bible and in free interpretation, because the Bible is exclusive.

Not telling you what to believe, just informing you that Biblical christianity is not compatible with free interpretation.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
You can't know their intent without asking them, and they are all dead. And at that a fallen human mind transcribing even for a god is prone to making mistakes.

Sure we can! It takes a little work and studying and prayer. It also takes practice to read the scriptures without adding stuff to them. Context is important too.

That's why they had help
2 Peter 1:21
For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Luke 18:27
Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God."

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Yet those who interpret scripture in a different way also believe in god and his message. It is not a matter of denouncing god. It is a matter of accepting him, but interpreting scripture differently.

My question remains.
Being that scripture are God's words, if one accepts Him, they will accept His words. You can't separate the two. God has "1" message, HIS.

If one changes the message, then it is no longer HIS message, he/she has altered (in a bad way) the view of God, he/she begins to create their own God.

Read post #52.

Last edited:

jasonwill2

Sure we can! It takes a little work and studying and prayer. It also takes practice to read the scriptures without adding stuff to them. Context is important too.

That's why they had help
2 Peter 1:21
For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Luke 18:27
Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God."

In otherwords: subjective interpretation based on reading other interpretations and how you feel after praying?

Biblical christianity is not compatible with free interpretation.
Which is why there are 30,000+ denominations within Christianity. :)

If one changes the message, then it is no longer HIS message, he/she has altered (in a bad way) the view of God, he/she begins to create their own God.
So which of the thousands of Christian denominations is teaching "God's" message as opposed to an altered version?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
In otherwords: subjective interpretation based on reading other interpretations and how you feel after praying?

Not subjective, nor interpretation, but explicitly written text.

For example Revelation 3:20 is often referred to when teaching the unsaved that they could be saved by "inviting him in."
But
Revelation 3:14-16, 19
"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. [15] I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! [16] So, because you are lukewarm---neither hot nor cold---I am about to spit you out of my mouth. [19] Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent.

is written to the church to repent of their lukewarmness. He didn't tell the church how to get saved. He didn't once refer to getting saved.

Teaching the lost to invite him in for salvation, was not the 'original' intent of Rev. 3:20 and so 'this verse' does not support the teaching of "inviting Jesus into your heart" for salvation.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Which is why there are 30,000+ denominations within Christianity. :)

So which of the thousands of Christian denominations is teaching "God's" message as opposed to an altered version?
Wow, that many?

Because:
2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Just look for those whose teachings agree with 'explicitly written' scripture.

Last edited:
Just look for those who teachings agree with 'explicitly written' scripture.
Ah yes, but you see, Christians (myself included, back in the day) have been known to insist that "Scripture clearly says" thus-and-so, and still be in disagreement. What's "explicitly written" in one Christian's estimation is not so explicitly written in another Christian's estimation.

Then there's the bible-version problem. Explicitly written in the "Authorized" King James bible is the mention of unicorns and dragons. Yet unicorns and dragons -- at least, taken at "explicitly written" face value -- don't appear to exist (unfortunately! :D).

Me Myself

Back to my username
Not subjective, nor interpretation, but explicitly written text.

There is NO PERCEPTION without interpretation.

NONE.

Without interpretation reading would be imposible for crying out loud! Language would be imposible .

Interpretation is an inalienable part of your understanding of scriptures.