• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Male Chauvinism in the Arab World, and the Myth of the Constant "Moderate Majority"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What is it about these regions of the world that have caused them to socially progress at such a stunted rate?

They're arguably progressing just about as fast as the West would have progressed without the European Enlightenment. The Enlightenment wasn't inevitable. It came about in part because the right people were born at the right time.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
They're arguably progressing just about as fast as the West would have progressed without the European Enlightenment. The Enlightenment wasn't inevitable. It came about in part because the right people were born at the right time.

An interesting conversation about whether the man makes the times or the times make the man, but that's a whole other subject. I tend towards people more as results, rather than causes - cultural and societal changes as statistical, or stochastic processes.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
An interesting conversation about whether the man makes the times or the times make the man, but that's a whole other subject. I tend towards people more as results, rather than causes - cultural and societal changes as statistical, or stochastic processes.

I'd say there was a lot of truth in your view, but I myself don't think it's the whole story. So far as I can see, certain individuals have been crucial in determining history. Of course, I don't know of any experiment that would determine the truth or falsity of either of our views. We can't rewind history to repeat it without Voltaire.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'd say there was a lot of truth in your view, but I myself don't think it's not the whole story. So far as I can see, certain individuals have been crucial in determining history. Of course, I don't know of any experiment that would determine the truth or falsity of either of our views. We can't rewind history to repeat it without Voltaire.

Indeed. It remains an interesting thought experiment. I tend to think there are any number of potential Voltaire's running around at any time and place, and that when conditions are correct, a realized Voltaire will emerge and express. This view just fits in with my general observations and experience about the world. Then again, perhaps the lever of history really does balance on individuals at various times and places.