• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maa Durga & Parvati

Shantanu

Durga should not be confused with Kali or Shakti philosophy for Durga is the incarnation of God in the form as the feminine Ultimate Reality.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Durga should not be confused with Kali or Shakti philosophy for Durga is the incarnation of God in the form as the feminine Ultimate Reality.

Durga is Kali, Kali is Durga, because they are both forms taken by Ma. She takes these forms for Her own amusement and for our upliftment. There is no real difference between the two except that Kali has a fiercer image that Durga and represents unbridled Shakti whereas Durga represents Shakti with purpose (slaying the demons that prevent our union with Her).

Shantanu

In Devi Mahatma, the oldest Shakti text, Durga and Kaali are explicitly recognized as forms of Maha devi.

Devi Mahatmya - Wikipedia
Thank you for this link which I have studied and am very happy with what I have read on Devi Mahatmya as being the authoritative Shakti text. I accept the description of Saraswati (sattvic), Lakshmi (rajasic) and Parvati (tamasic) as guna consciousness forms of 'Devi' (Durga) who is accessed by guna transcendence. However, I do not accept Kali as a form of Devi. I believe this goddess must be external to the Tridevi.

The point that I am making is that ultimately there can only be one God, not two as male (Sri Krishna) and female (Durga) Gods. So it is only possible for one to be the incarnation of the other. There is no distinction being made between Sri Krishna and Durga. Just like 'Dev' (Sri Krishna) is accessed by guna transcendence from the Trimurti composed of Brahma (sattvic), Vishnu (rajasic) and Shiva (tamasic) gods 'Devi' (Durga) is accessed by guna transcendence from the Tridevi composed of Saraswati (sattvic), Lakshmi (rajasic) and Parvati (tamasic) goddesses respectively. Indeed we know Saraswati to be appropriately the consort of Brahma, Lakshmi the consort of Vishnu, and Parvati the Consort of Shiva.

Last edited:

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Thank you for this link which I have studied and am very happy with what I have read on Devi Mahatmya as being the authoritative Shakti text. I accept the description of Saraswati (sattvic), Lakshmi (rajasic) and Parvati (tamasic) as guna consciousness forms of 'Devi' (Durga) who is accessed by guna transcendence. However, I do not accept Kali as a form of Devi. I believe this goddess must be external to the Tridevi.

The point that I am making is that ultimately there can only be one God, not two as male (Sri Krishna) and female (Durga) Gods. So it is only possible for one to be the incarnation of the other. There is no distinction being made between Sri Krishna and Durga. Just like 'Dev' (Sri Krishna) is accessed by guna transcendence from the Trimurti composed of Brahma (sattvic), Vishnu (rajasic) and Shiva (tamasic) gods 'Devi' (Durga) is accessed by guna transcendence from the Tridevi composed of Saraswati (sattvic), Lakshmi (rajasic) and Parvati (tamasic) goddesses respectively. Indeed we know Saraswati to be appropriately the consort of Brahma, Lakshmi the consort of Vishnu, and Parvati the Consort of Shiva.

While I enjoy hearing what you have to say, @Shantanu, I gotta say... maybe we should just have a thread called 'Shantanu's beliegs' where you quote other threads and explain how you see it? Because I'm pretty sure you're the only one in this forum who believes these things. Many of us do believe Kali to be Ma. We don't distinguish on this guna consciousness basis, we just love Ma.

And you rejecting core concepts of the Devi Mahatmya doesn't really matter, does it? The DM has said that Kali is a form of Ma and until you form a following of people who all believe the same and you write a bhashya refuting the common belief, you're not going to have much weight. I'm happy for you to believe it but you often come off as condescending.

Shantanu

While I enjoy hearing what you have to say, @Shantanu, I gotta say... maybe we should just have a thread called 'Shantanu's beliegs' where you quote other threads and explain how you see it? Because I'm pretty sure you're the only one in this forum who believes these things. Many of us do believe Kali to be Ma. We don't distinguish on this guna consciousness basis, we just love Ma.

And you rejecting core concepts of the Devi Mahatmya doesn't really matter, does it? The DM has said that Kali is a form of Ma and until you form a following of people who all believe the same and you write a bhashya refuting the common belief, you're not going to have much weight. I'm happy for you to believe it but you often come off as condescending.
At least I did not bore you. That is the main thing. What I write are only suggestions which are not meant for anything other than providing food for thought. For me Hinduism has to be perfect in conception which means there should be no fudges and inconsistencies. The conception must explain the reality of the diverse beliefs that exist in India. That is what I strive for.

Yes I do not accept anything that does not make sense, no matter whether it is from Devi Mahatmya or the Bhagavad Gita even. Of course if what I write upsets other peoples beliefs and practices I cannot help that. Hinduism allows me to do that. That you find that what I often write is condescending does not mean that I should stray away from the path of truth. I am a satya-advaitist. I have a Blog (Shantanu Panigrahi's Blog) where I write on all my distilled ideas and beliefs. These have developed over the course of time and continue to develop from my interactions with people in forums. These are indeed bhasyas and anyone is free to read and and make up their own minds on whether what I have written is true or false. I do not even promote my Blog as I do not feel it is right to do so. I am interested solely in my personal knowledge and to leave behind my views so that others can judge for themselves.

Last edited: