• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LXX vs masoretic.

I hope this is the debate section? sorry if it's not, but i wasn't sure where to find it.

Which do you think is more accurate, Septuagint or Masoretic text, and why?

And what about Vulgate vs. original Greek and Hebrew?

A

angellous_evangellous

The question of reliability for the LXX and Masoretic text is interesting. I'd have to say that the LXX versions are good for learning the Greek tradition of the text and the Masoretic text is good for getting started on a Hebrew reconstruction. IMHO, they should be used together, and the LXX can be used to "backtranslate" into Hebrew for comparison to the Masoretic text.

As for the Vulgate.... many Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic texts that Jerome used - if I remember correctly - are no longer available today. Where the Latin deviates from the texts that we now have are noted in modern critical editions of Greek (and I believe) some Hebrew texts. That way the scholar can go to the Vulgate and backtranslate into Greek (or Hebrew, etc) to reconstruct the nature of the missing text and compare it to those which are still avialable.