• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lucifer's Lamentations

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
What do you think of these words spoken by the Fallen Angel Lucifer?

He drew the correct conclusion from his premise of determinism.

Do you think they are wisdom or folly?

I believe that human beings really do have the power of choice, and so I believe it to be folly. People can do better than to excuse evil on determinism.

"The Big Bang made me do it!" is a poor excuse.

eudaimonia,

Mark

morning-star

Light Bearer
Ah, you humans. You vaguely interesting humans. Thinking, thinking, thinking. Right, wrong, right wrong -- such futile, little things. Everything that you do is right because being who you are is nothing wrong. You are fated to be who you are, destined to be who you will be as are all the others. All things are predetermined and fated, you are blameless and so are all others in Creation" -- Lucifer

What do you think of these words spoken by the Fallen Angel Lucifer? Do you think they are wisdom or folly? (Please look past the fact that most consider Lucifer to be evil.)

personly I agree with Ðanisty.

We are always worrying about what’s right or wrong, always worrying about our fate who we are and what we should or should not be doing. This quote of Lucifer basically is telling us that we should just choose whatever we feel is right and just do for it instead of wondering what would or could have happened if we did something else instead. Do what you desire and wish try and reach your goals in your own way. Your own morals and beliefs will tell you what path to choose. You are who you are weather you like it or not, and if you don’t like it then it’s up to you to change it.

Personally I believe that we all make our own fate and destiny and in some way we become apart and chained to it.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
eudaimonia said:
I believe that human beings really do have the power of choice, and so I believe it to be folly. People can do better than to excuse evil on determinism.

"The Big Bang made me do it!" is a poor excuse.

I am interested in how an Atheist believes in Free Will.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
I am interested in how an Atheist believes in Free Will.

It mainly has to do with:

1) accepting the idea that there are emergent phenomena in which the whole is greater than the sum of its parts
2) rejecting reductive materialism (i.e. accepting that an understanding of personhood can never be fully reduced to an understanding of parts)
3) rejecting event causation (Newtonian billiard ball causation) in favor of agent causation, in which actions are caused by entities, not events

Essentially, I take the radical view that people are irreducibly persons who can initiate patterns of causation, instead of merely a set of mechanically functioning parts that are ineluctably a middle link in a pattern of causation.

I suppose that you could consider this a model of self-determination, rather than uncaused or random actions as found in libertarian theories of free will (which I find just as bizzare as determinists do).

eudaimonia,

Mark