• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L'Shanah tova

jbg

Shana Tova 5784 or Happy New Year September 15, 2023!

I am trying to write a message without too much of an edge to it. A lot of the theme for this “greeting” is the sermon heard in synagogue tonight. On the positive side, my health and my family’s health continues to be good, though not without the challenges of entering our early to mid-60’s. I definitely don’t get enough exercise so perhaps that’s a good “New Year’s Resolution.”

On the negative side, communications with once-close friends have gone from actual gatherings (there still are some) to emails to text messages. Real communication is rare. When one picks up the phone, one almost expects to hear “what’s the purpose of this call” or “why did you call” or “not a good time, Jim.” Cold test messages or emails are not a replacement for socializing. Emails, when answered, get one-line responses that make clear that they are unwelcome. Other friendships, one of a duration of over 50 years, have fallen victim to political voting choices. People are, frankly, no longer there for each other. Did March 2020 make us all scared of each other? On that note, the Tennis Club and neighborhood swimming pool were poorly attended this past summer, despite rare rainfall (mostly on weekdays) and a general lack of excess heat.

I had hoped that the gradual end of the “pandemic” would restore some gregariousness. To be blunt, it hasn’t. For example there used to be two packed shifts of Rosh Hashonah services. We’re down to one that was, maybe, 75% full. The old committees have either not returned or the “meetings” turn into one person droning on and on about the merits of window displaces during the winter Holidays, or banking charges. Various group activities with clergy fall by the wayside since no one can find anything to discuss; a poor excuse.

On a happier note, the weather forecast is good for Taslich and one last pool weekend.