• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Low carb vs no carb

ronki23

Are there any studies showing how much more you lose with ketosis ?

I'm not too keen on ketogenic diets as I barely eat enough vegetables as it is: I also wouldn't recommend chowing down on red meat as that's going to increase cholesterol so you ought to eat nuts (carbs).

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There's some good books about it but you don't need to eat red meat (or any. Vegetarian keto is a thing). Nuts are fine too so long as they're high fat low carb. The only veggies that are real bad is mostly root veggies, and some really high carb fruits like bananas.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

I'm not too keen on ketogenic diets as I barely eat enough vegetables as it is: I also wouldn't recommend chowing down on red meat as that's going to increase cholesterol so you ought to eat nuts (carbs).
my wife and son went on about the topic of keto
at length
for weeks

best line I could find....
you use 45grams of sugar per day to just get about your routine
that portion is stored in your muscles
you need 45grams per day to replace what you use
that portion in your blood
any portion more than 45grams and your liver and pancreas join together to make fat

restricting your sugar intake to 45grams proves to be a trick
read the labels before you buy
the sugar intake adds up quick
one bottle of pop and you are charged for the day
any more intake of sugar and that intake will turn to fat

bread and pasta are complex sugars

most anything in a package will have added sugar

good luck

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
New Are there any studies showing how much more you lose with ketosis ?
Potentially your life.
Seriously. The keto diet was designed for children who suffer from epileptic seizures, and it is very difficult for an adult to enter a state of ketosis. Which actually isn't of any benefit outside of very limited clinical application, but comes with tons of risks. Such as as ketoacidosis, when acids called ketones build up to dangerous levels in the blood. It's also a general rule of thumb for nutrition that anything that entirely omits a food group is junk.
Unless you are diabetic, it's probably best to avoid it. Diets don't work (long term habit adjustment is the goal), carbs are necessary for bodily function, and if you do happen to achieve ketosis (for adults this is very difficult to achieve and maintain), many report it feels like you're starving yourself and you have to do it under medical supervision (as, again, the acidity in your blood can raise to dangerously high levels if you are properly following the keto diet (most actually don't)).

Risks and Benefits to Consider Before Trying Keto
But while these results sound promising, they may have nothing to do with whether or not people achieve ketosis. “The diet is very monotonous,” Prado says. “There just isn’t much that you can eat, so of course you end up eating less.” When government researchers designed a study to hold calorie intakes constant, they found no advantage to keto versus a balanced diet with carbohydrates. And a review of 23 randomized controlled trials found no difference in body weight between those on low-carb and high-carb diets.

Plus, much of what people lose in ketosis, at least initially, is water weight. Sugar stored in your body is bound with H2O. So when you start cutting carbs, your body grabs that sugar and releases the water. “People think they’re losing fat, but they’re actually rapidly losing water,” Prado says.
But again, following a keto diet is difficult. For diabetics, it’s best done under a doctor’s supervision. “This is a prescription-strength diet,” says Eric Westman, an associate professor of medicine at Duke University in Durham, N.C., and the cofounder of Heal Clinics, a company that used dietary ketosis to treat type 2 diabetes.
And some researchers are concerned about the potential for things like kidney stones, renal damage and elevated LDL cholesterol. Others warn about “keto flu” — an electrolyte imbalance that often affects people on the diet. But for older adults, the biggest risk of fasting or keto dieting is the fact that you’re often depriving your body of the protein it needs to build and maintain muscle mass.
If it's a fad, trendy diet that places heavily restrictions and cuts out or nearly eliminates a food group, it's probably best avoided and instead a healthy, balanced diet with adequate exercise will be much better, time tested and proven for weight loss, and it will include a variety of foods for a variety of nutrients. Your belly will probably also be happier.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
best line I could find....
you use 45grams of sugar per day to just get about your routine
that portion is stored in your muscles
you need 45grams per day to replace what you use
that portion in your blood
any portion more than 45grams and your liver and pancreas join together to make fat
That is not an absolute truth
I can eat sugars all day and not gain 1 gram; I am even losing weight

Having excess weight (fat) only has 1 obvious cause IMO (for an otherwise normal not too sick person)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Potentially your life.
Seriously. The keto diet was designed for children who suffer from epileptic seizures, and it is very difficult for an adult to enter a state of ketosis. Which actually isn't of any benefit outside of very limited clinical application, but comes with tons of risks. Such as as ketoacidosis, when acids called ketones build up to dangerous levels in the blood. It's also a general rule of thumb for nutrition that anything that entirely omits a food group is junk.
Unless you are diabetic, it's probably best to avoid it. Diets don't work (long term habit adjustment is the goal), carbs are necessary for bodily function, and if you do happen to achieve ketosis (for adults this is very difficult to achieve and maintain), many report it feels like you're starving yourself and you have to do it under medical supervision (as, again, the acidity in your blood can raise to dangerously high levels if you are properly following the keto diet (most actually don't)).

Risks and Benefits to Consider Before Trying Keto

If it's a fad, trendy diet that places heavily restrictions and cuts out or nearly eliminates a food group, it's probably best avoided and instead a healthy, balanced diet with adequate exercise will be much better, time tested and proven for weight loss, and it will include a variety of foods for a variety of nutrients. Your belly will probably also be happier.
It should be done with a doctor's okay and a nutritionist to help set your goals and evaluate food logs but its beneficial for a lot more than just diabetes and seizures. It was the only way I lost weight consistently with severe PCOS (medicated). Lessened my other symptoms too, like mood swings and period irregularities. My body processed hormones better while I was in ketosis.

The only time i ever felt starved was the first week when your body is searching for quick sugars to burn. But once I got into ketosis, which was not difficult for me to do, my appetite plunged off a cliff for a while because my body found ample storage of fat to burn. I had to actively try to hit 1200cal. It leveled out over the next month. I lost to my goal weight then switched to a 'primal' Mediterranean hybrid (and I don't miss sugar) to maintain and did not gain back.

If you food log, track your macros, and take the time to food prep it can be very very beneficial. But should definitely not be looked at as a quick fix. And I agree it's not a long term lifestyle. Doesn't need to be. Like training for an event then maintaining the muscle afterwards.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If you food log, track your macros,
I don't entirely dismiss those (I had to keep a food log after I first got IBS to track down the foods that turned it into raging bowel syndrome), but when it comes to food, unless there is medical need there is just no reason to get complicated or difficult. Eating fruits isn't hard. Learning proper amounts of carbs can be tricky, but it's crucial for health. As is learning what an actual serving size of meat. Recipes can get complicated and difficult, but eating itself just shouldn't be hard. If that part isn't simple, it might be wrong. I think as a society we have forgotten the benefits, and maybe even requirements (research into gut bacteria and our diet, along with studies into IBS, have revealed our digestive system is far more complicated and delicate than we thought and far more intimately entwined with the rest of our overall body, mind, and health than we ever thought), and the joys of simple eating.
(I also found that informative about PCOS. I've not heard of it helping with that one yet)
It should be done with a doctor's okay and a nutritionist to help set your goals and evaluate food logs
I definitely agree. This one as a fad diet does trouble me abit, because it shows how poorly regulated and researched these things are. I"m not a nutritionist, but I understand enough of the biology behind it to not understand why anyone would attempt it alone without medical supervision. Especially given the range of possible side effects, your doctor is going to need to know what you're doing should things go wrong.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

You really can't stay on a keto diet and have to take breaks from it. When you do the fat comes back. You're only supposed to keto in 90 days or fewer intervals.

Low-Carb is used because the benefits are similar without ever having to break off of it. I lost 100 pounds that have never come back... All I did was reduce RDA carbs to 20%, and fill the rest of my plates with meat, lol.

Diets high in red meat are fine as long as they are high in omega-3's as well. But, to clear any worries there is no correlation between the amounts of cholesterol you eat and that which enters your blood. Blood cholesterol problems are related to other problems. (just like eating fat won't make you fat, in fact, it'll probably make you slimmer, lol.) Basically, the old model of "high cholesterol is bad" is gone, now doctors mostly look at your HDL/LDL as a ratio as long as the HDL is high enough they are not worried about the LDL so much. That's why the Omega-3's are so important, they will bring that number up naturally.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That is not an absolute truth
I can eat sugars all day and not gain 1 gram; I am even losing weight

Having excess weight (fat) only has 1 obvious cause IMO (for an otherwise normal not too sick person)
my grand father had a similar metabolism
he ate all the sugar he wanted to
but it was white table sugar in his days

high fructose corn syrup is in everything

perhaps you have an active life style?

ronki23

Is there any noticeable difference between low carb and no carb ? If you could link to some studies please

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
my grand father had a similar metabolism
he ate all the sugar he wanted to
but it was white table sugar in his days

high fructose corn syrup is in everything

perhaps you have an active life style?
No, I have not an active life style at all. Only 10 km bicycle ride per day. That's all. Rest of the day sitting or sleeping.
Maybe I had a super active life style in my previous life, and that still has positive effect this life:D

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and so....no carb?.....as in meat only?

some notable persons do so
Jordan Peterson for one

and years ago an Egyptian body builder claimed to eat only meat
6lbs as day!

even the great Arnold is quoted to say.....you can't eat all that you need
take supplements
and in recent videos...….he seems to eat just anything at all

I'm looking to eliminate my one last sugar hook
Coke

I suspect as we get older
our chemistry begins to play out
and resistance to sugar and junk food weakens

Wandering Monk

The calories we eat leave our bodies in three ways: waste, CO2, and Hydrogen in the water of our sweat.

The bottom line on weight loss is what we already know: move more, eat less.

Rise

I have a lot of experience on low carb diets, full blown no carb ketogenic diets, along with varieties of fasting. I currently am on a raw vegan diet, and have had extensive experience with it as well.

First off, eating veggies won't harm your ketosis. You can't eat enough salad greens and broccoli to upset that. In fact, you want to eat as many veggies as possible. You'll feel better and be healthier. As long as you stay away from high sugar stuff like fruit and starchy veggies like potatoes. Carrots were ok for me because they are a low sugar/starch root veggie, and not so appealing that I ever was at risk of overeating them. I personally had to stay away from nuts on ketosis because in their dried form I found them too easy to over-eat, and they have quite a bit of carbs, so it stalled weight loss.

My experience mirrors what Dr Fred Bischi has found in his practice: That ketogenic will give you short term gains but it isn't sustainable long term.

One of the reasons ketogenic and low carb helps people in the US feel better and lose weight is primarily because eating that way necessitates removing a lot of the harmful stuff that is normally in people's diets. Processed foods. Fast foods. Packaged prepared foods. Almost all restaurants. And I also believe that not eating carbs limits your overall eating because you really can't overeat meat without feeling sick; but you can easily easily overeat sugar and carbs. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the body has a mechanism for turning excess carbs and sugar into stored fat, but has no storage mechanism for all that animal flesh and fat. The later just overworks your liver and digestion trying to get rid it all out of your body. So by denying your body's addiction to carbs and sugar you will necessarily eat less.

What I found, and what Dr Bischi says as well, is that the reason a lot of these different fad diets give Americans results is because it represents an improvement over the standard American diet they were previously on. And because the fad diet they are on is actually closer to the ideal of raw vegan that we were designed to eat than the diet they were on before.

Dr Bischi has said that it's almost impossible to not settle down to your ideal weight if you eat raw vegan. I have found this to be true. You don't get underweight, but you can't sustain being overweight either. Because if you are eating fresh whole raw produce, nuts, and seeds, it's very difficult for your body to want to over eat any of it. I've found it's only when you start processing and cooking foods, removing water and fiber and nutrients in the process, that your body is not only capable of eating more calories per bite but your body also starts to crave that unnatural calorie density like an addiction.

Because that's what typically causes addictions: When we take a substance found in nature and artificially alter it to be concentrated or changed. Drugs like heroine or morphine are deadly, but a simple poppy plant by itself won't harm anyone, no matter how many they try to eat fresh. It might even be beneficial to them. In some parts of the world they make poppy leaf tea.

Raw vegan makes sense when you understand God created us and the world, and designed us to eat a certain way and designed the earth to provide what we needed to eat. In that sense, it would make no sense to require plants to be artificially processed and cooked before eating them. If you can't eat it raw then there's a good chance you weren't ever intended to eat it. Having to process or cook something before you can eat it would imply they weren't already good for you in their natural form to sustain you. But when you start messing with God's design you have consequences. You can't put salt into a car's gas tank and expect to go anywhere, because that's not how it was designed to function. The same is true with our body. It was designed to eat a certain way, and when we don't follow that design there are natural consequences. Some more severe than others. Some taking longer than others. But consequences nonetheless.

Last edited:

Rise

Diets high in red meat are fine as long as they are high in omega-3's as well. But, to clear any worries there is no correlation between the amounts of cholesterol you eat and that which enters your blood. Blood cholesterol problems are related to other problems. (just like eating fat won't make you fat, in fact, it'll probably make you slimmer, lol.) Basically, the old model of "high cholesterol is bad" is gone, now doctors mostly look at your HDL/LDL as a ratio as long as the HDL is high enough they are not worried about the LDL so much. That's why the Omega-3's are so important, they will bring that number up naturally.

This is true.

Wild caught salmon or grass finished organic beef will be worlds different in their healthiness to your body than nonorganic beef fed corn in a concentrated feed lot.
The diet and health of the animal has a lot to do with their own ratios of fats. Grass finished beef has higher ratios of omega 3.

Dr. Wallach also has pointed out that low cholesterol diets and cholesterol blocking drugs are responsible for contributing to alzheimer's. He calls is an almost exclusively western disease. Brought on by artificially low fat diets and drugs. It's not something poor developing countries generally deal with.

Heart disease is really caused by an excess of sugars piling up in the bloodstream from too many carbs, which then forms plaque on the arteries. It's not excess fat and cholesterol. Dr. Wallach points to the fact that heart doctors have had a life span of the low 50s. Because they follow their own advice. It's bad to cut out as much fat and cholesterol as possible. And it's not the real cause of heart issues.

The quality of the fats is more of a concern than the quantity. You should be more concerned about eating one low quality nutritionally void nonorganic egg from a factory farm that came out of a sick and poorly cared for hen breathing in it's own filth all day as opposed to eating twice as many eggs from a pastured organic hen out in the fresh air most of the day eating fresh grass and bugs in addition to it's feed.

The later will leave you much heathier.

Rise

I suspect as we get older
our chemistry begins to play out
and resistance to sugar and junk food weakens

Everyone's body gets broken down by a diet that isn't ideal over time.

The only question is how long will it take before you notice the effects.
Either as aging, pain, low energy, chronic illness, or death.

Some people seem to have a genetic resistance against being effected quickly, but that doesn't mean they aren't effected.
The canary might die first in the coal mine, but that doesn't mean all the coal miners won't also die if they don't get out.

Some people also develop resistances to toxins that make them appear to not be as effected, but it's still slowly killing them. Developing a tolerance to alcohol or drugs is an example of that. It's still poisoning them internally over the long run, even if in the short term they seem to handle it without much immediate effect on their body or cognition.

The same thing happens with food. People that can handle eating a lot of heavy or toxic foods without feeling sick have actually developed a tolerance to it, but that doesn't mean they aren't still being harmed by it.

What I have noticed, and Dr. Fred Bischi has observed as well, is that once you've gone through a long period of detox where you eat a clean raw vegan diet, you can't go back to eating the way you use to for even a short duration without feeling incredibly sick. It's precisely because your body is so clean that it reacts so badly to the introduction of toxicity.
It's only when the body is overloaded with toxicity already that it has become accustomed to dealing with it and doesn't react.

Shaul

Premium Member
What is your exercise routine? There is far more evidence for using exercise as a weight loss means than ketosis.