• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loving Your Enemies

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Should self help their enemy to destroy self?

Not quite sure what you are asking but, I neither love nor hate my enemies. In fact I don't think I see folks as enemies, just competitors. To win, I just got to be smarter. Sometimes they are smarter. That's not their fault, that's my fault. If I lose out because I wasn't smart enough hard to blame this on someone else. Just got to learn to be smarter next time.

Don't see much point in making out other people to be enemies. That's stuff for comic books.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Should self help their enemy to destroy self?
I think you mean this. Should I help an enemy and thus destroy myself?

I don't think that is how it works.

Should I bow to my enemy and thus lose myself? No! Never!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Raises hand! I have an enemy. He lives in my house. My daughter wants me to take care of him. I invited him to live here for the sake of the baby, my daughter's mental state, and my daughter's and my relationship. But, I did not know him. He is proving to be an enemy of me in that he ruins my things, he lies, and they both do mind games on me.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I think you mean this. Should I help an enemy and thus destroy myself?

I don't think that is how it works.

Should I bow to my enemy and thus lose myself? No! Never!

allow me to show you an example of a person having compassion for their enemy.

Luke 23:34
Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
allow me to show you an example of a person having compassion for their enemy.

Luke 23:34
Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.
I have a feeling that my enemy knows very well what he does.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Raises hand! I have an enemy. He lives in my house. My daughter wants me to take care of him. I invited him to live here for the sake of the baby, my daughter's mental state, and my daughter's and my relationship. But, I did not know him. He is proving to be an enemy of me in that he ruins my things, he lies, and they both do mind games on me.

A man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.

sounds like your enemy has self-control issues. what is right, is right for all.

love serves all equally and does no harm. obviously there is service to self that some will follow.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I have a feeling that my enemy knows very well what he does.
if they understood that the vibration they create invariably becomes a karmic attachment that entraps them, they would stop. but they do not understand; otherwise they wouldn't harm themselves by harming others as self.

Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

i'm in your boat. i'm having a similar experience in my family.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.

sounds like your enemy has self-control issues. what is right, is right for all.

love serves all equally and does no harm. obviously there is service to self that some will follow.
love serves all equally and does no harm.< This is a winner.

obviously there is service to self that some will follow <This I do not know what it means

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
if they understood that the vibration they create invariably becomes a karmic attachment that entraps them, they would stop. but they do not understand; otherwise they wouldn't harm themselves by harming others as self.

Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

i'm in your boat. i'm having a similar experience in my family.
I think that you are very wise. You seem to be saying that a person's evil actions will come back upon their selves. I agree. Then, it becomes very complicated.

But, what would the World be now without complications?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
love serves all equally and does no harm.< This is a winner.

obviously there is service to self that some will follow <This I do not know what it means

service to self are those who choose their will over the idea of loving all as ONE. you have offered compassion to someone in need. what a person wants, wills is not necessarily what they need. they have exceeded their needs and become a parasite,

give a person a fish, you've fed them for a day.
teach a person to fish, you've fed them a lifetime.
a person who has been taught to fish and won't, tries to lord over another.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It becomes complicated because maybe they WANT to suffer so that they make others suffer.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I think that you are very wise. You seem to be saying that a person's evil actions will come back upon their selves. I agree. Then, it becomes very complicated.

But, what would the World be now without complications?

"Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come.

again its all about a person's state of mind. some will see a complication arise and deal with it out of love and compassion. some will see a complication arise and out of fear will assign the responsibility/blame to another.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It becomes complicated because maybe they WANT to suffer so that they make others suffer.
suffering only occurs where there is no compassion for all. suffering occurs where a difference is made between self and other as self.

sometimes what people desire is not what they need.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
service to self are those who choose their will over the idea of loving all as ONE. you have offered compassion to someone in need. what a person wants, wills is not necessarily what they need. they have exceeded their needs and become a parasite,

give a person a fish, you've fed them for a day.
teach a person to fish, you've fed them a lifetime.
a person who has been taught to fish and won't, tries to lord over another.
Good! Here's the funny part. The man, my daughter, and the child live with me. He works and I do not. I am not so old, but I live on a fixed income and I pay all the bills. They have contributed some [small - but I don't really know how small] amount to help me to cover the cost of the food that they eat. Everything else, I pay for. It has been eight months and he works, but, unfortunately, the work is not regular, though when he does work he works for almost twice what minimum wage is in my state. So, sometimes, but not often, he makes more than I do. He has never once said that he might contribute more if circumstances allow and my daughter is 100% behind him (they are not married, though). So, in a small way, my own daughter is my enemy with him. SIGH!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
suffering only occurs where there is no compassion for all. suffering occurs where a difference is made between self and other as self.

sometimes what people desire is not what they need.
I must work on that! Whenever I believe my daughter lies to me it hurts so much and I suffer (if suffer means hurt).

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Good! Here's the funny part. The man, my daughter, and the child live with me. He works and I do not. I am not so old, but I live on a fixed income and I pay all the bills. They have contributed some [small - but I don't really know how small] amount to help me to cover the cost of the food that they eat. Everything else, I pay for. It has been eight months and he works, but, unfortunately, the work is not regular, though when he does work he works for almost twice what minimum wage is in my state. So, sometimes, but not often, he makes more than I do. He has never once said that he might contribute more if circumstances allow and my daughter is 100% behind him (they are not married, though). So, in a small way, my own daughter is my enemy with him. SIGH!

i can relate to this. i have had a similar circumstance. 6 people living in a home. 4 adults, 3 worked. 3 incomes paid equally for all bills. the fourth adult paid the bills and watched their children. the adult came and told, not asked, that everyone had to give more. the two non-spouses did. i don't know about the third who was the spouse. time passes shortly the adult again demands that the three must contribute more. the two siblings refused and demanded the 4th take a job, or start contributing more to offset 4 using the same resources as the other 2.

it wasn't received well; although they expected the 2 to offset the difference of 4 vs 2 others.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
i can relate to this. i have had a similar circumstance. 6 people living in a home. 4 adults, 3 worked. 3 incomes paid equally for all bills. the fourth adult paid the bills and watched their children. the adult came and told, not asked, that everyone had to give more. the two non-spouses did. i don't know about the third who was the spouse. time passes shortly the adult again demands that the three must contribute more. the two siblings refused and demanded the 4th take a job, or start contributing more to offset 4 using the same resources as the other 2.

it wasn't received well; although they expected the 2 to offset the difference of 4 vs 2 others.
I love Math!