• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost sheep and the others

MATT.15 [22] And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.[23] But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.[24] But he answered and said, I AM NOT SENT BUT UNTO THE LOST SHEEP of the house of Israel.

JOHN 10 [14] I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. [15] As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. [16] And OTHER SHEEP I HAVE, WHICH ARE NOT OF THIS FOLD: THEM ALSO I MUST BRING, and THEY SHALL HEAR MY VOICE; and there shall be ONE FOLD, and ONE SHEPHERD.

What do you make of these 2 scriptures? Who are the LOST SHEEP and who are the OTHERS? Why did Jesus say He was not sent but to the LOST SHEEP?

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
MATT.15 [22] And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.[23] But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.[24] But he answered and said, I AM NOT SENT BUT UNTO THE LOST SHEEP of the house of Israel.

JOHN 10 [14] I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. [15] As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. [16] And OTHER SHEEP I HAVE, WHICH ARE NOT OF THIS FOLD: THEM ALSO I MUST BRING, and THEY SHALL HEAR MY VOICE; and there shall be ONE FOLD, and ONE SHEPHERD.

What do you make of these 2 scriptures? Who are the LOST SHEEP and who are the OTHERS? Why did Jesus say He was not sent but to the LOST SHEEP?
Mat 15 Jesus meant that He was sent to give the gospel first to the Jews.
John 10 Jesus already had other sheep (believers) and that all of God's people would have the same shepherd, be brought to Him as united, which was the future outlook of the church.
The others were the people that already believed in Christ, The Gentiles. The Lost sheep were the Jews whom Jesus was sent to gather with his "others" who were outside Judaism. In other words both the Jew and the Gentile would be united as believers or sheep with Jesus as the shepherd.....

Dunemeister

The Lost Sheep are Israel. Jesus believe that Israel had lost her way and was calling them back. He believed that faithful Israelites would believe in him as Messiah, and he had been sent to them.

The "others" of John 10 are those who, although not currently part of Israel, would come to belong to Israel by having faith in him. That is, Jesus was reformulating Israel around himself. Anyone who had faith in him would be the true Israel. Long-term, he was uniting Jew and Gentile under the banner of the Messiah. This vision, of course, was a bridge too far for most Jews of Jesus' day, and his proclamation got him killed.

JER.50 [4] In those days, and in that time, saith the LORD, the children of Israel shall come, they and the children of Judah together, going and weeping: they shall go, and seek the LORD their God.[5] They shall ask the way to Zion with their faces thitherward, saying, Come, and let us join ourselves to the LORD in A PERPETUAL COVENANT that shall not be forgotten.[6] MY PEOPLE HATH BEEN LOST SHEEP: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN THEIR RESTINGPLACE.

Could both scriptures which speak of the lost sheep be talking about the remnant of the ten scattered tribes of the children of Israel? They were scattered among the gentiles and the prophecys of the bible say the remnant will return and seek the Lord. Some have claimed Jer.50 is speaking only of the Jews. I know of no Jewish sect that the shepherds of that sect preach a different sabbath rest.