• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loneliness

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am having a hard time finding community as an atheist. It seems lonely. Any suggestions to find friends?
What are your options where you are?

Community groups? School groups? Sport or social or activity or interest clubs? Volunteer work?

'As an atheist' is only important if you think it is. What if, at least at the start, you get your atheism on the net and your society from your community?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
What are your options where you are?

Community groups? School groups? Sport or social or activity or interest clubs? Volunteer work?

'As an atheist' is only important if you think it is. What if, at least at the start, you get your atheism on the net and your society from your community?
There are groups, but it seems very hard to make good friends and connections. I am just in a down period right now I guess.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are groups, but it seems very hard to make good friends and connections. I am just in a down period right now I guess.
That can happen.

You may already know this, but I mention that (a) walking for an hour or so a day, and preferably in the morning and (b) not staying up past midnight (avoiding diurnal inversion), and getting up and moving early, are antidepressants, mood-lifters, in themselves, therefore luck-bringers.

So good luck!

Andy Sims

NightSerf
It's doubly hard while this coronavirus is keeping people physically apart. Do you find anyone's posts particularly attractive? You could try inviting a small group for a zoom session. As much as I like the purity of expression that lives in a text-based forum, to ease the loneliness of enforced isolation, there's no substitute for seeing faces and hearing voices.

My dance friends get together on zoom every Monday during the time that we used to dance, and my family gets together once a week as well. It's nice. It's personal. I tend to listen more than talk, just bathing in the loveliness of superficial chatter. No substitute for touching and being touched, of course, and if your loneliness is more physical, there's not much for it.

Me, I'm lucky. I live with a sweetheart whose son and grandson come over almost daily. Hard to be lonely when there's a three-year-old in the house.