• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Literal interpritation of religeous texts.

Faust

I'm sorry Maize, I'm new to this and new to computers on the whole. I saw your posting in another forum and have figured out that since it was a question posted for Christians and you haven't received any replys there and I have a comment on this subject I thought the appropriate thing to do was to post a new thread in a forum that allows a broader range of participants. I hope that I am following the proper procedure and that I haven't offended you by opening the question in this forum. As far as the literal interpretation of any religious text goes it is my understanding that these stories were passed down and then recorded in order to pass on cultural "truths" and the values of the practitioners. They were meant to convey whole packets of information that would acts as guidelines for following generations. The people who were passing these traditions on were not out to record history as we are familiar with it ( who, what, when, where, how, and why) but more interested in the proposition "this then is how you should live". When we try to apply our modern idea of history to a religious text we are missing the point and overlooking the true value of the wisdom in that text.

Francine

When we try to apply our modern idea of history to a religious text we are missing the point and overlooking the true value of the wisdom in that text.

When the text describes different punishments for how bad you beat your slaves, this might have been valuable wisdom 3000 years ago, but it has no value today.