• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

life would be like...

confused453

So what do you think the quality of life would be like if:

There was no religion on earth for the last 1000 years.

There was one universal religion where all humans were required to practice by law; any refusal or questioning would become a criminal act.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
No religion: chaos
1 religion: depends on what the religion is

I personally feel that religion developed due to a real human need. I don't think society easily functions healthily without religion.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Try possibilities of good/bad/different to you religions maybe? But one of those would be the only religion on earth. So how would our lives be like?

I'd say a religion that promotes peace (true peace, not the sort of peace that some religions claim to have and yet continue to justify bloodshedding) like Buddhism for example then I'd say there's a good chance of a relatively nice to live in world.

But if the religion is one that promotes violence, dualism, or with emphasis on sin and condemnation then it would be, as someone pointed out earlier, like the Dark Ages.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think a tolerant religion is healthy.
If there was no religion for the last 1,000 years I think most people would have just come up with one anyway or used Philosophy instead. We may have come further, but religion has often helped to keep up people's morale. I'm with Madhuri - Humans have the need for some form of religion, whether we realise that or not.

One universal religion that must be followed? Now that would be chaos, whether it was peaceful or not. People don't like it when things are forced on them, of course, so dissidents would be normal.

IAMIAM

So what do you think the quality of life would be like if:

There was no religion on earth for the last 1000 years.

That's why we have politics, just in case religion dies out and we lose having that to fight over.

There was one universal religion where all humans were required to practice by law; any refusal or questioning would become a criminal act.

And this is the child of politics called Government.

Ever try to tell your government no thanks, I'll just live my own way?

LOL

freethinker44

Only for the past 1000 years? I don't think much would have changed at all. Our cultures would be a little different probably, but I think we would be about the same level of progression.

Now, if we could go back another 1000 years and erase the dark ages, I think we would be 1000 years more advanced than we are now.

As far as wars and politics, I don't think there would be much of a change. War and politics is part of the human condition, they only seem religious in nature because they are wrapped in a religious shell. The core is all human though.

jasonwill2

Only for the past 1000 years? I don't think much would have changed at all. Our cultures would be a little different probably, but I think we would be about the same level of progression.

Now, if we could go back another 1000 years and erase the dark ages, I think we would be 1000 years more advanced than we are now.

As far as wars and politics, I don't think there would be much of a change. War and politics is part of the human condition, they only seem religious in nature because they are wrapped in a religious shell. The core is all human though.

This.