• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

life in prison and the death penalty

We Never Know

No Slack
If there is not doubt such as DNA, witness's, video, etc I'm for the death penalty. Why should the person become a burden of the state and a burden of the taxpayers.

I myself if I had a choice of life in prison without the possibility of parole or the death penalty, just kill me. Why would I want to be locked up in a cage like an animal, told what to do and when to do it, be a burden to the state, a burden to the tax payers, a burden to my family(they would have to always come see you), etc.

Lets say you are 42 years old. What would you choose if it was life in prison without parole or death?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I'm for rehabilitation in most cases rather then punitive action. Treat people like animals they act worse and become animals.

We Never Know

No Slack
I'm for rehabilitation in most cases rather then punitive action. Treat people like animals they act worse and become animals.

Rehabilitation wouldn't really matter if a persin is locked up like and animal for the rest of their natural life. They would be a burden.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If there is not doubt such as DNA, witness's, video, etc I'm for the death penalty. Why should the person become a burden of the state and a burden of the taxpayers.

I myself if I had a choice of life in prison without the possibility of parole or the death penalty, just kill me. Why would I want to be locked up in a cage like an animal, told what to do and when to do it, be a burden to the state, a burden to the tax payers, a burden to my family(they would have to always come see you), etc.

Lets say you are 42 years old. What would you choose if it was life in prison without parole or death?

If they gave me the choice, I'd choose death... especially if they give me the choice as to how I would die (lethal injection) not, say, the electric chair.

Since I can only speak for myself, I don't support the death penalty. I honestly don't see intentional killing justified by the convicted person's actions... then compare it to burden on tax payers and family?

That's another thing I disagree with-barbaric to say the least-is for families to watch the convicted be killed. That's like back in the olden days (thinking Rome) when they put people in the lions pit and watched and cheered at the animals tearing a human being to shreds.

That and I have issues with loosing my freedom, so I'd "die" being in prison and having mental death and physical death are two different things. (Thinking of the book Count of Monte Cristo and Shawshank Redemption).

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I agree to a point. A person locked up for 20-25 years gets out and is lost in a changed society.
But if one is never getting out, then society and hiw it changes will not matter to them.
I don't support either the death penalty nor life in prison.

AlexanderG

Rehabilitation wouldn't really matter if a persin is locked up like and animal for the rest of their natural life. They would be a burden.

Right. The point is retribution and our smug satisfaction, not any chance of the prisoners' rehabilitation or redemption. Just like god sending people to hell.

Our prison system is based on retribution rather than rehabilitation at its roots, and it always has been. I think our US model is based on biblical norms as well as endemic racism, because putting blacks people in prison was seen as a second-best option once slavery was abolished.
Why American Prisons Owe Their Cruelty to Slavery (Published 2019)

This really needs to change.

Contrast the US prison system to the one in Sweden, where they treat their prisoners with dignity and view their imprisonment as an opportunity for self-reflection and character growth. Why can't we have that? Do we basically still have too many racists?
Sweden's Remarkable Prison System Has Done What the U.S. Won't Even Consider

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Something isn't working.

• An estimated 68% of released prisoners were arrested within 3 years, 79% within 6 years, and 83% within 9 years.
2018 Update on Prisoner Recidivism: A 9-Year Follow-up Period (2005-2014)

It could be the fault of the system. For example, here they don't provide very good programs to support the convicted. If anything, programs that they are in (personal experience) treat them as if they were not human. One of them. And heaven forbid if they try to get their life together as a former child rapist. They can't get government assistant housing (regardless the time period of the crime), they can't get jobs that require credit checks (and not all are legal positions), they're on the child registry (can't figure the name) for years and anyone can look that up. I had rapist in my own neighborhood when I looked that up years ago and when they put disability people and convicted in the same building to get a job the anxiety shoots up since most people have disabilities but not all have a criminal record "too."

I mean, if someone wanted to take their own life knowing these things are going to make her suffer, than I'd definitely empathize with her. Though I do believe empathizing with a person is different than condoning their behavior and wishing them free if they are still in danger to society--not because of their former crimes but their present intentions and actions (can't charge a person twice for the same crime) type of thing.

We Never Know

No Slack
Right. The point is retribution and our smug satisfaction, not any chance of the prisoners' rehabilitation or redemption. Just like god sending people to hell.

Our prison system is based on retribution rather than rehabilitation at its roots, and it always has been. I think our US model is based on biblical norms as well as endemic racism, because putting blacks people in prison was seen as a second-best option once slavery was abolished.
Why American Prisons Owe Their Cruelty to Slavery (Published 2019)

This really needs to change.

Contrast the US prison system to the one in Sweden, where they treat their prisoners with dignity and view their imprisonment as an opportunity for self-reflection and character growth. Why can't we have that? Do we basically still have too many racists?
Sweden's Remarkable Prison System Has Done What the U.S. Won't Even Consider

Prison in the US isn't about rehabilitation.
Is only about you broke the law and here's what you get.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member

you've just demonstrated that life in prison is more of a deterrent than the death penalty, where you seem to be taking your cue from countries like Saudi Arabia.

We Never Know

No Slack
you've just demonstrated that life in prison is more of a deterrent than the death penalty, where you seem to be taking your cue from countries like Saudi Arabia.
No. I am of speaking for myself.

Given a choice of life in prison or the death penalty, give me death. I would not want to live my life in a cage.

Jeremiah Ames

Give me liberty or give me death.

Suave

Simulated character

I'd consider most anybody deserving of a second chance at life outside of prison. Save for habitual serial killers, please let us abolish capital punishment against non serial killers. Please let us consider reforming our criminal justice system to mostly emulate the Norwegian criminal justice system. Norway has a decent legal justice system where nobody can be sentence to more than 21 years imprisonment. Also, their prisons treat everybody with dignity and respect. The prison guards are mostly unarmed and they often socially interact with inmates during meals or recreational activities. Norwegian inmates get job training, and well-educated so that they are far less likely to be criminal re-offenders. Norway's homicide rate is around 10 times lower than the U. S. Homicide rate.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. be a burden to the state, a burden to the tax payers, ..
2021 statistics:
United States of America 2,094,000
China 1,710,000
Brazil 759,518
India 478,600

A little surprised at the number of prisoners in USA as contrasted to the number of prisoners in India. Four times the number in Indiaq for a population that is four times less than India. A 16-fold difference. Nearly half the prisoners in India are undertrials. I think some of them have been framed by police out of vengeance. and they should be released (of course, the courts free them when the cases come up, but they are in jail for long periods).

My grouse is against the hardened criminals, those who may have more than 20 serious cases in their name (thanks to our lenient bail/parole rules). So, more criminals are roaming free than are interred in jails. They are not the ones who can be reformed. Some mafia lords make a prison their home and operate from there through mobile phones to direct their associates who are not in jail, and engage in extortion (It happens in India). Jail provides safety from rivals. They can order whatever food, liquor or drugs they want by bribing or threatening the jailers. They can even go out for a night or so to return in the morning. I think such people should be put to death.

There are some 400 people on death row in India, but the government is in no hurry to punish them.

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

The first thing you need to understand is that the death penalty is by far the more expensive option.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NEL...86&fileDownloadName=h041211ab501_pescetta.pdf

You are not saving the taxpayers any money, quite the contrary.

And then your other point is a perfect argument against the death penalty. We should not allow people convicted of murder to get their choice of penalty. If the idea of life imprisonment fills you with dread, good!!! That is the whole flipping’ point. Why do you want to let murderers off easy.

For some extremely violent people the death penalty is not simply not a deterrent, for some it is encouragement. This is what they want.

The death penalty is the worst option on all points. In terms of cost, in terms of justice, in terms of deterrence, it fails on all points.