• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life-changing books!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The book that changed my life most was
The Colour Of Magic by Terry Pratchett.

One of the early Discworld series of fantasy books with a quirky take on humanity.

Why should a fantasy novel change my life?

Im dyslexic, i wasn't diagnosed until age 14, before that i was simple considered stupid and unteachable (1970 schooling ha!). My problem, the colour red bleeds, and red is a prominent colour in mixing inks and the dyes for paper so any print is just a red smudge It turns out the solution was simple, green tinted glasses filter out the red and voila, letters and words came into focus.

I still couldn't read though, i had no idea what the letters were when my dad bought me the book.

He read out the first few paragraphs which had me howling with laughter then gave me the book and said "its up to you now"

Letters formed words and over about 3 months as i taught myself to read that hilarious book and never looked back. Without it i would probably not have been able to get into university or start my own business which in turn has allowed me to live my dream.

Thank you The Colour Of Magic

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

One of the early Discworld series of fantasy books with a quirky take on humanity.

Why should a fantasy novel change my life?

Im dyslexic, i wasn't diagnosed until age 14, before that i was simple considered stupid and unteachable (1970 schooling ha!). My problem, the colour red bleeds, and red is a prominent colour in mixing inks and the dyes for paper so any print is just a red smudge It turns out the solution was simple, green tinted glasses filter out the red and voila, letters and words came into focus.

I still couldn't read though, i had no idea what the letters were when my dad bought me the book.

He read out the first few paragraphs which had me howling with laughter then gave me the book and said "its up to you now"

Letters formed words and over about 3 months as i taught myself to read that hilarious book and never looked back. Without it i would probably not have been able to get into university or start my own business which in turn has allowed me to live my dream.

Thank you The Colour Of Magic

Hi Christine

Thanks for your contribution. Being the only one so far.

Yes the right book can be magic indeed!

I come from a family of avid readers - all kinds of genres and authors.

Sounds like you have had quite a journey with books - I was unaware of that cure for dyslexia. I am glad you were able to enjoy what was an aptly titled book for you!

I don't have a similar "story" about books. Enjoyed them at school esp Cooper's Creek - well worth checking out if you want a history of exploring in this land down under. Lemme see if there is a review? -

Book Reviews, Sites, Romance, Fantasy, Fiction | Kirkus Reviews

Looks an interesting book site!

Anyway, feel free to share anything more if you want.

Enjoy the rest of your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

I was just wondering if you perchance have read "Red Dwarf" - if you enjoy sci-fi with a humorous twist! I love the book & the TV show.

Here is some idea of the comedy -

Rimmer is an absolute classic comedy character - a little like George if you have ever watched Seinfeld!

All the best!

:)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Hi Christine

Thanks for your contribution. Being the only one so far.

Yes the right book can be magic indeed!

I come from a family of avid readers - all kinds of genres and authors.

Sounds like you have had quite a journey with books - I was unaware of that cure for dyslexia. I am glad you were able to enjoy what was an aptly titled book for you!

I don't have a similar "story" about books. Enjoyed them at school esp Cooper's Creek - well worth checking out if you want a history of exploring in this land down under. Lemme see if there is a review? -

Book Reviews, Sites, Romance, Fantasy, Fiction | Kirkus Reviews

Looks an interesting book site!

Anyway, feel free to share anything more if you want.

Enjoy the rest of your browsing!

Dyslexia is a group name for several different conditions that cause word blindness.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I was just wondering if you perchance have read "Red Dwarf" - if you enjoy sci-fi with a humorous twist! I love the book & the TV show.

Here is some idea of the comedy -

Rimmer is an absolute classic comedy character - a little like George if you have ever watched Seinfeld!

All the best!

:)

Red Dwarf was one of my favourite programs, i never missed an episode. And have watched all the newer ones too

It has just been repeated on one of the lesser satellite channels and i have watched several of them again and introduced it to my kids.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I'v meant to ask some Euro types a question?....Are you familiar with an English singer,comic,talk show host named James Gordon?

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I've meant to ask some Euro types a question?....Are you familiar with an English singer,comic,talk show host named James Gordon....@ ChristineM