• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life’s difficult when you don’t know much

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Not knowing things isn't a sign of stupidity, and it isn't a weakness; it's an opportunity to learn something new. The Internet is a wonderful tool to utilize in self teaching when it comes to new skills or technical knowledge
I've also found its a good time to reflect on values, too. Do I want to know this, or am I being told I oughta know this? Do I care? What do I care about? What do I want to know?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don’t even know how to put a rope on a flagpole or attach a flag to it. I can’t even find a decent video for instructions…

I’m so stupid. I can do simple things like mow the lawn but i don’t know anything mechanical about the mower. I know how to ride a bike but know nothing about changing the tires or chain. I know absolutely nothing about cars. Etc.

It’s just so demotivating when i keep running into things i don’t know, when i barely have enough energy to clean the house sometimes. My ambition is very low anymore

I like this take on it:

Not knowing common things doesn't make you stupid. It just means you haven't run into the knowledge yet... but this is a solvable problem.

For bike stuff, look to see if you have a local bike co-op or advocacy group. A lot of them put on "learn to fix your bike" workshops.

For car stuff... personally, I learned about fixing cars mostly on my own in my early 20s. I had an old, unreliable car and no money for mechanics, so I got the Haynes manual for my car and some basic tools, then tried my best and made lots of mistakes.

My car only caught fire once, and it was only a small flame that I put out quickly. :D

Yerda

Veteran Member
I don't know any of those things either. Feeling slightly attacked here. :p

I don't even know that much about the things I know a lot about (also kinda rubbish at the things I'm good at). I still manage to muddle through life without any major catastrophes. Sometimes trying things completely unprepared is a useful learning experience.

I just saw this one earlier today for the first time.