• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Librarians disrupt a conservative event at a library

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think public libraries should dictate what reading events are about beyond universal rules that apply to everyone regardless of political views. The reading event shouldn't have been disrupted, and doing so wouldn't address the root causes of extremist hatemongering anyway.

That said, I found this part quite ironic:

From the link in the OP said:
The athlete claimed the women working in the library were ”just intentionally being disrespectful and obnoxious to disrupt what we were doing.”

It's inherently disrespectful to preach against the rights of other groups, so I don't really think people who do that have much room to talk about "disrespect." I would say the disruption was unprofessional and pointless, however.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That said, I found this part quite ironic:

It's inherently disrespectful to preach against the rights of other groups, so I don't really think people who do that have much room to talk about "disrespect." I would say the disruption was unprofessional and pointless, however.
Right. They demand something they would never reciprocate.

Also, if it were an event pertaining to LGBT rights, and library staff disrupted it over political reasons, I don't doubt that some in this thread would flipflop their reaction.

We Never Know

No Slack

Also, if it were an event pertaining to LGBT rights, and library staff disrupted it over political reasons, I don't doubt that some in this thread would flipflop their reaction.

"Also, if"

Aren't you the one who doesn't like "if's"?
Aren't they some kind of mongering?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't know about this thread, but in general, political double standards have been blatantly obvious regarding multiple issues in the last few years. I think humans have always had tribalistic tendencies leading to inconsistency, but the internet has given this much more visibility and more accessibility to unfiltered nastiness.