• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's talk "family values."

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
Yep..... makes good sense, IMO.
Jesus's mission was to gather the people to win back Israel from Invader oppression and quisling higher classes. His message at this? 'Don't join with us, and then, when the going gets tough remember your little kiddies who need a Dad, or your dear Mother who is poorly. If you're in.... YOU'RE IN!

“Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, saying, 'This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.'
IMO...... 'It's my duty to ensure that the foundations of this mission are strong. Therefore I need to put these messages (such as above) across to you now.

"Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.
Sorted, above...... 'Don't come here mouthing off about how loyal you are, just to dissipate with weak excuses later.'

The mention of Jesus presence at the marriage in Cana makes no difference to the above. And his turning of water into wine is a delight, because it has absolute foundation.......... there are people who can achieve just this spectacle today, in public view.

4consideration

Premium Member
Thanks. Would you say this is the prime value in families?

I can think of several interpretations of your question, so I ask that you restate it if my answer does not seem to be address what you mean here. (I'm not sure what "this" is in reference to.)

I think of a family as a community within a series of progressions of communities. It may be helpful to picture concentric circles.

There is the individual, that in a sense is a community of cohesive attributes, best operating with integrity, so that all parts are (hopefully) working for overall well-being.

I think of a family as the next level of community, held together with bonds of love and commitment, each (hopefully) including the well-being of the whole in decisions, while also considering the well-being of the individual.

(Then I think there are various level of communities extending out from there.)

Within the context of an overall larger picture, I think the value of families is to function as a stabilizing force within the local community, and ultimately within the larger community of humanity. I think there is value in families serving this function, and I think the value is contained in how well the family unit serves this function, and not in what the family looks like.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
If anything, Matthew 10:37 reconciles the preceding verses in Matthew, not Luke. They were two different events that were taking place; they make no reference to one another.

I have a different understanding of the chapters in Matthew and Luke and as I've explained to you, in context, your understanding doesn't make sense to me. I'm inclined to feel more confident with my own, as it makes better sense within my own spiritual walk with Christ and in reconciling what Christ has taught us to do.

No offense, but is it in the Bible that Christ instructs anyone to honor their husbands and provide for their family?

The bible is the living word of God - at least within my faith.

Ephesians 5:22-33

1 Timothy 5:8

I am still interested in family values, and I see that providing and responsibility have a big part in forming those values, but I don't see where Christ instructs anyone to do those things in the Bible.

There isn't a quote in red from Christ on every issue in direct terms. For one, Christ's instruction in the flesh spanned a relatively short time frame and His purpose was to teach us how to live for God and to pave the way for his kingdom. When He spoke, he often spoke through parable.

His greatest commandment to his people is to love and that when we love, we fulfill the law to the fullest.

Parents are to love their children as Christ loves us.

If it works for you, go with it.

I'm doing just that.

Famly values are the guiding values that supporting the nurturing and strengthening of the family unit. Some of us pull from spiritual resources, familial resources and/or cultural influences to define family values and their importance to us. As long as we value family as a society, I believe that such values will be important.

Last edited: