• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's build The Matrix!

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I propose that humankind unites in adopting the common goal of building “The Matrix”, that is to say a new, virtual world to be occupied by a new branch of the human family. This project involves changing the fundamental nature of humankind and would require a high level of scientific achievement.

But first, let us examine what I mean by “virtual world”. This would be a simulated dimension of reality kept alive by computers that would be populated by both organic beings (plugged into a virtual world which they take as real) and artificially conscious virtual people who are basically sentient computer programs who think and live as humans.

This would require the creation of a new race of human – one that is genetically engineered to be plugged into a virtual world, which they’d experience as regular human beings. They would basically be a brain and central nervous system with only the withered remnants of a body. Their brains would be somehow wired into the virtual world and they would be sustained by means of nutrients and oxygen absorbed in synthetic blood. Like their organic brethren outside the virtual world these beings would have only a limited lifespan. Let’s call these beings “The Insiders”. They would live entirely within the virtual world and would be oblivious to the true nature of things. They would essentially be a race of cyborg.

How would we go about creating such a virtual world? Well, first millions of years of natural history would have to be simulated, which would probably take some time. The first humans would all be virtual people, descended from virtual pre-humans. Things would begin within the Stone Age. At this point, the first generation of Insiders would come online, and be born into the virtual world to parents who are virtual people. Over the years the number of Insiders within the virtual world would increase, and do so much more rapidly than the numbers of virtual people. As agriculture, organised religion, metalworking and cities develop more and more Insiders would come online. Scattered amongst the population would be virtual people. Unlike the organic Insiders these individuals can be controlled and programmed. It would be through them that the over-seers of the virtual world maintain control and influence over the virtual world, although Insiders would occupy most positions of formal power (more on this later) and democracy would be allowed to emerge.

Eventually, on planet Earth there would be two worlds: the virtual world and the outside "real" world. Indeed there would be two parallel humanities. Over time, a grand federation of all nations would depopulate the outside world as far as ethically possible (according to a long-term plan) whilst breeding more and more Insiders for more and more virtual worlds. In time, a depopulated outside world would become a high-tech post-scarcity utopia in which the primary concern is maintaining the virtual worlds and the pursuit of knowledge and self-actualisation. Perhaps their society would be organised along communist lines? Who knows!

Why go to the trouble to do all this? Let me explain: nuclear annihilation within the virtual worlds could be made impossible – the administration of the virtual world could, for instance, simply delete any virtual nuclear missile that had been fired at a virtual city. Also, the laws of physics could be altered, effectively enabling magic, fantasy and science fiction (dilithium crystals?) to become realities. And resources could be made infinite. But of course, there would still be natural and human evil at work.

The entertainment and educational value of the project would I believe be immense.

Within the virtual worlds, the actions of the powerful could be influenced by the over-seers (who live outside the virtual world) by putting virtual people who don’t know they’re virtual into positions of influence and/or power, and then programming them in accordance with whatever plan is to be realised. This would require some form of collaboration between the outsiders and a small circle of illuminated Insiders (i.e. an illuminati) facilitated by virtual people. A possible scenario of this happening would be the administration of the virtual world making a king’s firstborn son a virtual person so what when the king dies a programmable virtual person inherits the throne, who can be controlled by both the illuminati and the outsiders.

What about the ethics of such a project? I think the Outsiders would effectively be playing God with the Insiders. Perhaps at times literally so? So they’d have to come up with a strict ethical code. Also, one of the rules should I think be that the virtual worlds are made as realistic as possible. I believe that once the civilisations within the virtual worlds are at a certain level of maturity that they should be informed of their true nature of things, or at least have access to information regarding the true nature of things, perhaps hidden down some rabbit hole that's hidden in plain sight. Eventually the virtual world and the outside world could unite and begin a new era in human development.

I believe the construction of such a virtual world should be one half of humankind’s plan for development. The other should be space exploration. Basically, I think humankind should expand both inwards (virtual worlds) and outwards (space exploration).

However, this project is not currently possible. It may even be entirely impossible! We need to make dramatic advancements in many fields of science to make this vision possible. The scientific community would need to be on-board, and their research would require funding. Big money would have to be raised. And there’d need to be the political will for it to happen. And it may take centuries to get off the drawing board. But it would be something for humanity to aim for, whilst striving to make Earth more peaceful, free, and developed.

That is my proposal. This I believe is the direction humankind should be heading.

So yes, let's build The Matrix!

But of course, all this may already have happened….

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
To continue…

Assuming we are not currently living in a computer simulation and assuming it’s possible, should we build The Matrix?

In spite of what I said in my above proposal I believe it would be OK only if virtual people were to inhabit the simulation, I think it would be unethical to develop a race of organic Insiders for us to lord over whilst they live in what is ultimately an illusion. That strikes me as wrong. Such a project would in my mind be an abomination – an affront to God and an abuse of science.

However, computer people in a computer world… that would be a totally different scenario!

So, on balance, no, let’s not build The Matrix, or let’s build it but make it so that it’s inhabited only by virtual people.