• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let' s change Hindu back to Santan [Vaidic] Dharma

What do you think?

• Possible: Bhārat (in international English) and Sanātan Vaidic Dharma

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Possible: Bhārat (in international English) and Sanātan Dharma

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wish we could, but I think it is very difficult

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • ameyAtmA is crazy

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaskaran Singh

Divosūnupriyaḥ
मैत्रावरुणिः;3648375 said:
Well, foremost-wise...it's definitively Indic - that's for sure. But, it is also I-E, however only secondly. Firstly, I'd say it's Indic; whereas, it is secondly I-E.
Exactly. It still is, at least in part, Indo-European, right? It can't be completely coincidental that the ancient Celts referred to themselves as people/descendants of the Water Goddess (Tuath(a) Dé Danann) whereas balinese people (who, judging by this picture, might have adopted Hinduism from the tamizhArkaL or perrhaps the teluguvArike), according to Wikipedia, often call their religion "Agama tIrtha" (the religion/tradition of pilgrimages/waters) and well as the fact that both worship a goddess with the same name. If you don't look at the veda-s at least in part from a comparative Indo-European perspective, you miss out on a lot of "cognate" deities which are part of the larger Indo-European tradition, but perhaps not part of Iranian tradition (like the similarities between the Vedic goddess priyA and Germanic goddess freyja, the Vedic God dyauShpitA/dyAvA with Latin Jove, Greek Zeus/Dios, Germanic Tiwaz, Palaic Tiyaz Papas, etc.)

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
If you don't look at the veda-s at least in part from a comparative Indo-European perspective, you miss out on a lot of "cognate" deities which are part of the larger Indo-European tradition, but perhaps not part of Iranian tradition (like the similarities between the Vedic goddess prIya and Germanic goddess freyja, the Vedic God dyauShpitA/dyAvA with Latin Jove, Greek Zeus/Dios, Germanic Tiwaz, Palaic Tiyaz Papas, etc.)

Personally speaking, I'm not missing out on too much. I have all that I need: revelations from the Shri Gods that were heard by noble Rishi-s and Rishika-s. Comparative "mythology" is fun, no doubt. But, not really something I am keen on.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

"Calcutta --> back to Kolkattā"

Actually I have always spelled it Kolkata (with one "t")...

But no matter, the only reason this caught my eye is, I am not so much on the bandwagon to do away with the term Hinduism because, even though it may not be Vedic but a rather modern, introduced and geographical in tone, it has now become a "catch-all" term that means all sects, inclusive of ancient Vedic, ancient Saiva, later Tri-Murti and even later Vaishnava bhakta, inclusive of local traditions and regional Goddesses, on and on such that it now represents the diverse Family ...

But while I am not all keen to try and change the terminology now used across the world regarding Hindu (and have no objection and of course embrace those who rather use Sanatana Dharma), I AM KEEN ON CHANGING THE NAME OF KOLKATA!

I still cannot shake off my attachment to the name Calcutta, but leaving that aside I think Kolkata should be changed to KALIGHAT.

So having injecting that off subject mention, please carry on but I think you will not make much progress if the intention is to rid the term Hindu.

I do not think there is any "official" name, and in one way I like that.

Om Namah Sivaya

Stormcry

Sanatan dharma ki jai!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bolo shri sadguru maharaj ki jai!

Jai bharata mata and her sons Hindus/aryas ( original habitants of Bharat Varsha of Jambudvipa ) !

I think government should drop the "India" and "Hindu" names .

Though our dharma is nameless , Hindu Dharma should be strictly called as " Sanatana Vaidik Dharma " in mleccha-countries. Changing of name has no any impact on Hindu's mind . Because most hindus prefer "Dharma" word .

Bharata and India are two official names of bharatavarsha . But I think Government should completely neglect the " India " mleccha-word given by britishers/mlecchas. The name of divine bharatavarsha must be only in god's divine language , Sanskrit.

Hari krishna....;)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
मैत्रावरुणिः;3648403 said:
I have all that I need: revelations from the Shri Gods that were heard by noble Rishi-s and Rishika-s. Comparative "mythology" is fun, no doubt. But, not really something I am keen on.
I agree, so what if they received the inspiration in European plains or even further North, some place where Samis/Same live today (resembles SamaVeda, have the Vedic kind of impromptu poetry. I do not mean that Samis are Aryan). Comparative mythology, in this long sweeping arc - Irish, Celtic, Germanic, Roman, Greek, Baltic, Azarbaizanic, Iranian, and Vedic Indian, is hugely interesting.

See the post above. No effect of all our entreaties, like a worn out gramophone record, repeating the same thing again and again, Sapristi.

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
sanatana dharma to indicate that man should follow varna dharma eternally

HLK, this stuff is getting old. It is the ideas of one sect, which in no way reflects the family of "Hinduism" but only some and in some forms of practice is couching human subjegation. Whatever you quote from "scripture" is subjective, your sects vision or blindness.

Varna is not caste (jati). Caste is a man-made designation. Vishnu may be supreme to you, but not to a vast number of "Hindus" in Sanatana Dharma (Eternal Dharma). Varna is not Sanatana, not eternal, either. Gunas or character and qualitities change over time, and what changes should actually not be considered real or truth. Krishna was a Historical Reformer like the Buddha. Wherever it is said Krishna is, including in a murti of a "high caste only temple", Krishna will accept a flower from whoever goes to Krishna, this includes an "untouchable". Offering a flower to Krishna is puja to Krishna. Krishna does not like anyone dare to close doors to those who will go to Krishna. Denying by force is a crime awaiting "hell".

Sanatana Dharma is not owned by one sect. Defining a name is not practice.

Om Namah Sivaya

Jaskaran Singh

Divosūnupriyaḥ
Gunas or character and qualitities change over time, and what changes should actually not be considered real or truth. Krishna was a Historical Reformer like the Buddha.
Really, merely a "historical reformer" and not svayam bhagavAn? Not all Hindu-s would agree with that; I know I wouldn't...;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I too would not. Basically, no historical proof. Gita was written in modern (Panini's) Samskrit. Therefore, the very wise and anonymous writer belonged to a period later than 500 BC.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We should speak only for ourselves, i.e., for Hindus. Why should we try to label others? Of course, we expect people of other religions in India to be true to their Nation. Otherwise they should go where their loyalties lie.

'Janani janmabhumischa, swargadapi gariyasi' (Mother and motherland are more valuable than heaven)

Last edited:

Ravi500

Namaste, dear Hindus

So... the point made is -- that Hindu is the name given to "People on the other side of the Sindhu [river]" by Persian Muslim war-lords who invaded Bhārat and practically tried to ruin her . They could not pronounce the S apparently. Shrila Prabhupād explained this (A. C. Bhaktivedānta Swāmī).

[However, non-Bhāratīya ISKCON devotees have a few more reasons to not append Hindu, and they find this appealing. That is their problem .]

Recently, there have been some successful name changes [geo-political] back to the ugam - root, source, from the British distortions .

Bombay ---> back to Mumbai
Calcutta --> back to Kolkattā
Madrās ----> back to Chennai
Banglore ---> back to Bengalluru and so on,

so India officially back to Bhārat (in English, internationally) is doable. Lot of Software changes, mainly.

What about Hindu back to Sanātan Dharma or Sanātan Vaidic Dharma (not Vedic, it is Vaidic).

Here, it is not just the dog-work or donkey-work of
*conveying to the world, and
*modifying software widgets that have "India" and Hindu" in their databases (and hence in the pull-down menus),
*official government forms, Visa forms, international race-ethnicity forms, (particularly printed, outdated ones can be a problem)...
*Worse, getting all others to do so (the fastest will be the airlines and airports).

It is about convincing the religious, dhārmic, santa-manḍaḷ ---> TO ---> politicians, country leaders, administrators, civil service personnel
but mainly, the people.

After all Bhārat is technically supposed to be of the people, by the people and for the people. It is a different story that currently it is NOT :)

I appreciate your initiative in this regard.

The ones who I see adding deliberate obstacles to such a project are the political-fanatical-Muslims who have this SICK SICKENING agenda of tilting the demographics in their favour and change history. Actually sicker still are the "avyakta (unmanifest invisible) world POWERS" :rolleyes: behind the so-called Muslims .

Comments? Other than calling this thread outright stupid? (That is not allowed) :)

See, please reflect for a moment why there are over 180 million muslims in India and 40 million christians. The vast majority of them adopted these faiths due to the discrimination they experienced in Hinduism due to Brahminism.

It is mainly the untouchables and lower castes who have converted to these faiths in earnest. And many still do so, as per my observations.

If you want Hinduism to counter these conversions, you must first try to eradicate the discrimination against the lower caste hindus and untouchables, for the fact that they form nearly 80 % of the Hindu people.

Many dalits and untouchables are denied basic human rights, and are not even allowed to enter temples. This is why they choose to convert to other religions where there is a sense of equality, brotherhood and compassion .

This discrimination against the untouchables and scheduled castes are also the reason why maoism is increasing by leaps and bounds throughout the country, as most of the maoists are from the lower castes.

Create an atmosphere of brotherhood, equality and compassion in Hinduism, and I assure you, all these above mentioned troubles will slowly evaporate away.