• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legal discrimination against schizophrenics

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I have a friend who is a schizophrenic who is fighting for custody of his child in the courts. His lawyer made him stop taking all his schizophrenia medicine and get a psychiatrist letter saying he no longer needs it I e. He is all better. My buddy has the disease much worse than me and he is struggling without his meds, but if the court sees he has to be treated for schizophrenia then he won't win custody of his child.

Is this just me or is this discrimination by the courts?

I feel so bad for my friend he is struggling yet he is doing what he has to do.

I have faced day to day discrimination by coworkers before but nothing like this.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, does his disease and the progression of it even with medication make him unable to look after a child? It's not discrimination if his rather severe illness means he will have trouble looking after himself, let alone others. I would argue this should be dealt with on a case by case basis re schizophrenia but if his is as severe as the OP seems to make out then yes, he should be evaluated at least.