• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving Your Religion

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think some folks are missing the point; this isn't a 'why did you leave your religion' thread. Lol.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Nothing I can think of would convince me to leave my current faith as a Druid/Pagan.

But I have left the Catholic Church/Faith for Paganism. My reasoning for leaving the church was it ran counter to some of my values, such as self-reliance. And it also came off very authoritarian and guilt based to me, and I don't work well in that type of environment.

I've switched Pagan denominations, if you can call it that. Starting out as a Satanist, than an Agnostic, then Eclectic before settling on Polytheism/Druidry and sticking with that.

How did you decide it was really for you, compared to the others you tried? I go back and forth in my choices and I wish I could be a part of all, or most, of them.

idea

Question Everything
I think some folks are missing the point; this isn't a 'why did you leave your religion' thread. Lol.

I suppose it is a little like dating.
Some people have a yo-yo on again off again parties. They break up over trivial stuff, and get back together after they realize it was trivial....

Others do not play those games, do everything they possibly can to make things work out, then after giving it 110% and kicking against the pricks for years and years and years for really serious abusive horror stories - fight to the point of either you die, or your beliefs die...

For those who do not yoyo - who took everything seriously, were dedicated and had faith and did everything they were supposed to do and then found - it was not faith - it was mis-placed faith.... the reason they left might be the reason they are still alive.

Everyone congratulates those who leave "other" faiths, see them as figuring out.... but if someone leaves your own faith they are labeled as a sinner, little faith, liar, apostate - ex-fellowshipped, ex-communicated - called weak.

It is not weak to leave, it is not weak to protect your kids, and research the lies, and stand on your own two feet with no support from anyone - that is not weak, that is strong.

Cheers to everyone who has escaped abuse. Cheers to everyone who has stood alone and has been persecuted for speaking the truth. Cheers to anyone willing to expose corruption, and bring justice onto the heads of those who abuse and deceive. The real pioneers - those who can think and act and research for themselves.

Cheers to those who do not run from the sometimes ugly truth. Cheers to those who were honest in admitting they were wrong.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
What would make you leave your faith? Be it something like a historical finding, an irreconcilable piece of scripture with something else etc.

Has anything made you leave only for you to return to it with a renewed perspective? Have you changed denominations? Have you ever switched denominations only to return to your old one?
Ah. I misread the post earlier. I honestly don't know what it'd take to make me lose my pagan beliefs. Possibly a new perspective?

Redemptionsong

What would make you leave your faith? Be it something like a historical finding, an irreconcilable piece of scripture with something else etc.

Has anything made you leave only for you to return to it with a renewed perspective? Have you changed denominations? Have you ever switched denominations only to return to your old one?
I might be a tad upset if my mate was raptured and l was the one left in the field lifting potatoes.

But, then again, l might still hold on to the glimmer of hope that a late bus might arrive....like it does for those in detention at school.

Fallen Prophet

I have been less-than-active in going to church from time to time - but my beliefs have never lapsed.

The only thing that would make me leave my church is if the leadership were to direct the church to do things that oppose what I believe to be God's stated Word.

Despite many who argue that my church's leadership should do just that - they refuse - and I believe that they will continue to refuse until the day of the Lord's Return.

PearlSeeker

“If someone proved to me that Christ is outside the truth and that in reality the truth were outside of Christ, then I should prefer to remain with Christ rather than with the truth.” (Dostoyevsky)

There is something about Jesus. Maybe something too beautiful not to be true. Only love/goodness is worthy to be the purpose of life. Even if we often fail to actualize it.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I was born and raised in the Southern Baptist Convention. Through study and prayer/meditation I came to accept the Catholic Church.

It would take some real earth shattering, at least personally, stuff to get me to leave. My experiences with the divine are quite powerful.
I believe you. That is an intriguing account.