• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving curtains open at night

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Hi all,

Do you leave your curtains open at night? Or do you know someone who does?

Why do you/they do so? Why not close them?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do not have curtains or shades because there should be no people out there looking in.
There are no people who walk by and if there might be a strange peeper out there let him be eaten by bugs in the summer and freeze to death in the winter.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
This question has occurred to me before. I know someone who opens them for light and then forgets to close them at night. I think that occasionally leaving curtains open is OK, but you mustn't turn your life into a TV show.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This question has occurred to me before. I know someone who opens them for light and then forgets to close them at night. I think that occasionally leaving curtains open is OK, but you mustn't turn your life into a TV show.
I can't imagine anyone interested in my boring life.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is not my house, but mine is similar.

images
Also, I hear there are wild cats around. Nobody is going to hang around my house at night looking in. If there is then I guess there is someone weirder than me.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I only do light semi transparent curtains. Harder to see in from the outside but I can still leave my windows open and get the night sounds.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
This is not my house, but mine is similar.

images
Also, I hear there are wild cats around. Nobody is going to hang around my house at night looking in. If there is then I guess there is someone weirder than me.

V nice! I'm rather envious! :) Where I live, despite my best attempts to do otherwise I can see pretty much all the way through my neighbour's house on the opposite side of the street (in the clearest detail) and into their garden..

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
V nice! I'm rather envious! :) Where I live, despite my best attempts to do otherwise I can see pretty much all the way through my neighbour's house on the opposite side of the street (in the clearest detail) and into their garden..
The reason for the thread, I suppose.

I live in the woods almost at the end of a dirt road. There is one neighbor at the very end, but I can barely see their house through the trees. The back of the house is facing a pond, like in the picture.
The main floor is higher up than anyone could see in. Across the pond there is a camp, but no year-round homes. On the pond there are only three homes, plus one on the hill across the road coming in and that one is for seasonal living. So, if I didn't live here, I would be envious too. It is quiet.

I shall brag a little. I say, why not? We are building a second home on the ocean bay. I am spoiled, I guess. I like water. That house is also in the woods.

Where I live there are no street lights. Sometimes when I look up I can see the Milky Way. I think I never saw it until I moved here. It is a scattering of light stars that look like milk has been spilled across the sky. I am from Massachusetts and there I saw few beautiful night skies full of stars. Now it is a common sight.

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks...

Savagewind ; Ah that sounds awesome :) I would LOVE to be somewhere like that - here - is VERY different :(

Curtains - here - are to be OPEN - during the day at least....ALWAYS pays to know who is in your street, what they are doing - is a rough neighbour hood sometimes - hence the desire to be somewhere - secluded, sometimes - just me and the dogs off in your woods would be Heaven ....Any room for a lodger..??..lol...am clean tidy, house trained wouldnt be no bother at all , promise :)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hi Folks...

Savagewind ; Ah that sounds awesome :) I would LOVE to be somewhere like that - here - is VERY different :(

Curtains - here - are to be OPEN - during the day at least....ALWAYS pays to know who is in your street, what they are doing - is a rough neighbour hood sometimes - hence the desire to be somewhere - secluded, sometimes - just me and the dogs off in your woods would be Heaven ....Any room for a lodger..??..lol...am clean tidy, house trained wouldnt be no bother at all , promise :)
It would be so interesting to welcome lodgers to stay awhile. I have a husband who is the opposite of me, so that will never happen. I suspect Satan put us together. He is a good person so it isn't so awful and I get a house! It is like a tree house on the water side.

A friend gave me the relationship book by Dr. Phil and I took the test honest as I could and added it up. He says, "if your overall score is above 32, it is likely that your relationship is in extreme danger of failing". I scored 33. I say so because nobody need be envious of my living arrangement. (He doesn't beat me.) And I get a house! I am going to have two houses soon enough.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am not stupid! He is never interested in what I am doing and so will never read what I write. He doesn't even know I am a philosopher-theologian, of sorts.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hi all,

Do you leave your curtains open at night? Or do you know someone who does?

Why do you/they do so? Why not close them?
In the winter, we leave our curtains and blinds closed most of the time.

We live in an old house with fairly energy-inefficient windows - some of them are just single-pane glass. A heavy curtain or blind helps to reduce heat loss in cold weather.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Am I off topic? Philosophically I say I am not. Am I not opening my figurative curtain to Religious Forums? Of course, it is not night, unless I am on the other side of the world. I am not.

And then I am thinking that to me Earth is in its night.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I now live in a village and any one on the street can look in. I do close the vertical blinds and curtains at night but mostly because it seems cosier. When we lived in the country we rarely bothered.