• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning more about Judaism

Ellen Brown

I've had a long time curiosity about the ways of the Jews, perhaps because of my own very conservative bent, and because it would be hard to imagine anyone making more mistakes than I. So then comes the deep contrition and repentance.

I've found what appear to be some very good videos on YouTube about several different denominations of Jews. There is one on Hasidic Jews, that I am finding my way through. These folk are even able to smile and talk in a civil manner. The Jews would not take me at any price, but I want to understand their ways, so not to offend them.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
it would be hard to imagine anyone making more mistakes than I.

You might want to look at this web page about the importance of making mistakes. Art309 I find it fun and true. Another way to look at it is to look at any child learning to do something like walk. They make mistake after mistake after mistake. But they learn through their mistakes.

The Jews would not take me at any price,

Practitioners of Judaism do not look for converts. But more liberal groups open their doors to those who sincerely are interested.

Ellen Brown

You might want to look at this web page about the importance of making mistakes. Art309 I find it fun and true. Another way to look at it is to look at any child learning to do something like walk. They make mistake after mistake after mistake. But they learn through their mistakes.

Practitioners of Judaism do not look for converts. But more liberal groups open their doors to those who sincerely are interested.

I am contrite and repentant, thus forgiven, thank God.

rosends

One of the things that some Jews do is study and learn religious texts. One set of texts in particular is the talmud, a collection of laws, arguments, stories, opinions and other stuff which is in part Sinaitic and in part from the centuries surrounding the beginning of the common era.

The Talmud has a few basic and repeating structures -- some hermeneutic rules and methodologies and some logical approaches which allow questioners to parse the content of a question, but also question its underlying presumptions in an effort either to answer it or to obviate it before it requires an answer. This often sensitizes students to potential underlying issues which are valid objects of discussion. Maybe it over sensitizes them as they then find intention in the precise details when none was included.

I present this as preface because of something you wrote:

These folk are even able to smile and talk in a civil manner.

What was your a priori assumption about "These folk" that makes you surprised that they are "even able to smile and talk in a civil manner"?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I've had a long time curiosity about the ways of the Jews, perhaps because of my own very conservative bent, and because it would be hard to imagine anyone making more mistakes than I. So then comes the deep contrition and repentance.

I've found what appear to be some very good videos on YouTube about several different denominations of Jews. There is one on Hasidic Jews, that I am finding my way through. These folk are even able to smile and talk in a civil manner. The Jews would not take me at any price, but I want to understand their ways, so not to offend them.
I hope you understand that you are wonderful just the way that you are, and that if you love God and act righteously you are as good as any Jew--no need to convert. There are also a lot of very good reasons not to convert. For example, as a Gentile you only have a few basic laws to follow, but as a Jew you would have 613 laws. Then there is the matter of anti-Semitism. In the US, there are three times as many hate crimes against Jews as blacks, and five times as many as against Muslims. More than half of all religious hate crimes are against Jews. It's something to think about.

That said, there is nothing wrong with exploring Judaism either. If you have a starting point, we can discuss. The Exodus from Egypt is the core of Jewish identity. Judaism is primarily practiced in the home, especially with eating kosher and observing the Sabbath--two good areas to ask about. We can talk about Jewish liturgy. We can discus the Holy Days (especially since the High Holy Days are only a week and a half away). We can discuss Jewish ethics (especially important to the Reform) aka Tikkun Olam (repair of the world). Probably discussion about the different denominations will happen as we talk about differences in practice. In general, Judaism is a religion of right action (orthopraxy) rather than a religion of right belief (orthodoxy).

If you want a good book on the basics of Judaism, not too long, not too brief, Try TO BE A JEW by Hayim Donin. He is an Orthodox Rabbi.