• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

learning about Hinduism

LilyPhoenix

Where do i start to learn about Hinduism ?
What books should i read and what info should i look for
I don't want to overwhelm myself but id like to know the basics

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
I wouldn't be the right person to guide you so we shall wait for a more experienced member to post but in the mean time, Welcome :)

Yogi1054

Shakti
I think its more one of those things that you need to experience - speaking from personal feelings my hindu faith has developed more from my teacher and feelings the faith.

With books there are so many possible choices the Vedas, Upanishads the Gita etc but there again different Authors have different interpretations - I have about 10 copies of the Gita each with a different translation and each with a different view point.

One book I have enjoyed it Hinduism for dummies but again I can think of many Hindus who dont rate it to all!

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
This is going to sound absurd, but for a very, very basic introduction to several aspects of Hinduism, check out "The Idiots Guide to Hinduism". It will allow you to dip your toe in without getting overwhelmed. After that, I recommend visiting a temple if you live near one and talking with volunteers there. Most people are more then willing to explain their faith to you in a no-pressure way.

:camp:

LilyPhoenix

There is a temple near to where i live but i don't know what am meant to wear and if should call then first av been trying to find the phone number of the temple but i cant find it

Thank you all for your help

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
If you are not shy, perhaps you can tell us the name or website of the temple and some could probably tell you what to expect.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
If there is no contact information, then I would just go during normal hours and speak to whomever is about. It's a little nerve wracking at first, but I've always been welcomed. Go with a sincere goal to learn and I"m sure you will find someone willing to help you.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

The words Community Center reveals the main function is as a mandir serving the community needs of Hindus who came by diaspora to Scotland, so typically residence for all the main Devatas of the trinity, you cannot say it serves only Siva (Saivas) or Vishnu (Vaishnavas) but both and we see also Ganesh and Krishna and Ram.

The building has a good history, it recently underwent rennovation but the community is not rich diaspora Hindus, not like many Indians in the US. You will enter by two large double doors, with a welcome mat and you will not be denied welcome.

Those attending will be 90 percent or more diaspora Hindus as the building is to serve as facilities for wider community use for this diaspora community, but do not be afraid to good to this historic building if you are Scottish and not "Indian".

By the way these will be "Indians" from Africa and colonial legacy and not much from India. They will be mostly Gujarati, there is a swing to Avatar worship such as avatars of Vishnu but they are community and cultural based and thus all sects of Hinduism are given representation, nor do they like discrimination of any sorts due to some bad examples of discrimination against them in some cases in Afirica, so they will in no way be un-welcoming to you. There are also some Pujabis and Biharis there, again this is not a wealthy elite at all, and is satsang oriented meanings getting together and there might be singing, even cultural dance activity, it appears there are not yet murtis or "statues" (forms) of the Shiva, Vishnu, Ganesh and so on, but pictures framed.

Many of those you will see will be small shop owners running shops in areas of Indian goods where there are also Sikhs. They are accustomed to being with others who they may consider to be of "another religion", do not be worried to go if you think they may first think you another religion it won't matter, show respect bynremoving shoes. There will be a yuung man who may want to talk to you, typically he will also be a student in school.

I do not think an "official priest" has been hired, this may have changed with the influx of some money, but likely the feel will be more of a mandir with worship a little less formal than as found in a full Hindu temple.

This temple is in an old church on a back street, and was once almost to be condemned if not rennovated, the diaspora Hindus purchased it and saved this building which is in an area that is not noisy and few neighbors of family.

They appear to hire out a base hall to other non-Hindu activities to raise funds. You do not need to be shy to visit, some will be more shy then you from this community hoping not to have you think they do something to embarrass their family in front of you.

Make sure you take your shoes off as soon as you see other shoes placed on the floor or in shoe stalls. Then first just observe, just sit on the floor if you see others doing so.

Please go. YOU will know exactly what to do moment by moment, by instinct and observation. Do not be afraid. You will see two double-doors at the entrance. If shoes are just outside, take your shoes off, then put you hand on one of those door handles if not already open. Open that door. Think of your friends in Hinduism who say, just open the door. We are with you in spirit even thousands of miles away. It will be very simple. You do not have to do anything. Just sit if you like if others are sitting. Just observe. Look at the pictures of the Devatas. You are doing what is only natural. You do not need to do more than that, you did a lot in just that.

Om Namah Sivaya

1) Geeta (studying)
2) Hanuman Chalisa (listening and chanting; it is simple to understand)
3) paying visit to the temple on Tuesdays, presenting all gods present there with flowers (smaller the better), in addition to prasadam for Hanuman ji (priest will know) and distributing the prasadam (besan ke laddu) to friends & family.

..after a while..
4) practising Yoga

P.S.:
1) not recommending any book here- that can be used for a general unbiased overview and introduction of Hinduism- there is no such book.
2) Geeta belongs to the epic Mahabharata, and Hanuman Chalisa to the epic Ramayana. So to explore the background, if required, we know where to look!

LilyPhoenix

on the website it says that its open on October the 5th so i will go down and see at 6pm i think it open for a special day or something as it s says Navratri Starts

I dont know very much about Navratri i know that your not meant to wear black only problem i have is that most of my clothes are black
i don't want to cause problems if am not in the right color of clothes

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
on the website it says that its open on October the 5th so i will go down and see at 6pm i think it open for a special day or something as it s says Navratri Starts

I dont know very much about Navratri i know that your not meant to wear black only problem i have is that most of my clothes are black

I can't see you cursing problems unless you're dressed immodestly. For books, my recommendation is "What is Hinduism?"

As for temples, they vary so much that 2 or 3 might be better than 1, if you want a more general sense.

Maya3

Navaratri is a major Hindu holiday. It means nine nights of the Goddess.
Three forms of the Goddess, Durga (3days), Lakshmi (3 days) and Saraswati (3 days)

Enjoy the tempe!

Maya

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I think the version I have heard is that the three main ones (Lakshmi, Saraswati and Kali) have "mini-manifestations" of their own during their three days. Perhaps that's what SB means?

I'm the sure the number and names of goddesses changes depending on the region of India we're talking about too.

That each of the three Devis has a threefold manifestation of her own is a great insight, and is very true.
e.g., Saraswati manifests as:
Sarasawati-Saraswati, Saraswati-Lakshmi, and Saraswati-Kali. All these are real, and called by their (more) appropriate names.

Having said this, I admit, SB is right because other than the 3 Devis of Antariksha Lola mentioned here we also have 3 & 3 of Prithvi & Swarga. This is simply the case with the Devis of Durga.

Maya3

That each of the three Devis has a threefold manifestation of her own is a great insight, and is very true.
e.g., Saraswati manifests as:
Sarasawati-Saraswati, Saraswati-Lakshmi, and Saraswati-Kali. All these are real, and called by their (more) appropriate names.

Having said this, I admit, SB is right because other than the 3 Devis of Antariksha Lola mentioned here we also have 3 & 3 of Prithvi & Swarga. This is simply the case with the Devis of Durga.

Thank you, I have not heard this either. I learn something new everyday!

And thank you everyone who explained this.

Maya