• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS/Mormon-What to do With Anti-Mormon Tracts?

DeepShadow

White Crow
At the university I've been attending, I occasionally stop by the library and read from the library copy of the Book of Mormon. Two weeks ago I did so and found an "anti"-tract from Watchman Fellowship inside. Curious, I looked inside another copy of the book, and found another tract. In the end, I pulled out about a dozen little tracts, a several-pages-long "Why I Left the Mormon Church" essay and an excerpt from the "Mission to Mormons" newspaper. I informed the librarian, who was extremely upset, and then took a few of the tracts to look over.

My wife and I laughed at one of them, and I skimmed over the rest to find anything new (nothing). I've often found this material to be educational in small doses, because it tells me how the adversary works and helps me to exercise my logical skills, but I was wondering what some of the rest of you did with anti-material. Any thoughts?

Scott1

Don't want to leave you hanging DeepShadow, but this is not a debate or discussion forum. Post something like this in a discussion/debate forum and you will get some answers to your question. (Hopefully!)

Peace,
Scott

DeepShadow

White Crow
Okay, but I don't want to debate anti-Mormon literature, I want to know what other Mormons do with it--throw it away? Study it for errors? Look up the references for themselves?

Scott1

Got ya..... just giving my opinion, thought you might get more responses in a forum that allows for discussion.

Good luck!

huajiro

SOGFPP said:
Got ya..... just giving my opinion, thought you might get more responses in a forum that allows for discussion.

Good luck!
Can I respond in here then?

Don't want to get yelled at :jiggy:

Pah

Uber all member
Since the thread is a question for what other Mormons do, I suggest it be moved to Same Faith debates where only other Mormons may respond. The thread title should be LDS - What to do With Anti-Mormon Tracts?

-pah-

DeepShadow

White Crow
pah said:
Since the thread is a question for what other Mormons do, I suggest it be moved to Same Faith debates where only other Mormons may respond. The thread title should be LDS - What to do With Anti-Mormon Tracts?

-pah-
Sounds good to me! Do I need to do it, or will you do it for me?:help:

jonny

DeepShadow said:
At the university I've been attending, I occasionally stop by the library and read from the library copy of the Book of Mormon. Two weeks ago I did so and found an "anti"-tract from Watchman Fellowship inside. Curious, I looked inside another copy of the book, and found another tract. In the end, I pulled out about a dozen little tracts, a several-pages-long "Why I Left the Mormon Church" essay and an excerpt from the "Mission to Mormons" newspaper. I informed the librarian, who was extremely upset, and then took a few of the tracts to look over.

My wife and I laughed at one of them, and I skimmed over the rest to find anything new (nothing). I've often found this material to be educational in small doses, because it tells me how the adversary works and helps me to exercise my logical skills, but I was wondering what some of the rest of you did with anti-material. Any thoughts?
Hey Deep Shadow,

I was browsing and noticed that you never got a response on this one, so I thought I'd give you one (even if it is about a year late :) ).

I can think of quite a few things to do with anti-Mormon literature. Toilet paper, kindling to start a warm fire, you get the picture. :jiggy:

Actually, when I've been given it before, I've looked it over and usually laughed at it. Most of the stuff is so unreasonable and funny that I find it sad than anyone could be convinced to leave the church because of the stuff. I remember one book that said we believe the 10 tribes of Israel were taken up in a space ship. Most of it is filled with one of a few thing: flat out lies and misconceptions aimed at influencing the impressions of uneducated people, bad experiences that members have had which they claim is the status quo, or people who have left the church mocking things that members of the church find sacred.

There is some serious stuff though. When I've come across anything that's shook my testimony I've got on my knees and prayed about it. So far I've never been presented with anything that God couldn't help me to understand better.

A guy gave a talk in church the other week and mentioned anti-Mormon stuff in his talk. He said that the advice from most anti-Mormon literature he's come across regarding the Book of Mormon was:

1. Don't pray about it.
2. Don't reason over it.
3. Don't trust your feelings.

What would God know? The last thing you want to do is ask him. :banghead3

leach

DeepShadow said:
Okay, but I don't want to debate anti-Mormon literature, I want to know what other Mormons do with it--throw it away? Study it for errors? Look up the references for themselves?
I may be biased but I would study it for errors, and use reason and evidence along with that wonderful brain God gave you. Truth can stand on it's own and it's objective reasoning that can divide the truth from fiction.