• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS Christians - who is your Jesus?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Endless said:
I'm not trying to prove anything wrong, how can i when i do not understand your position? I am still trying to understand and merely outlined my confusion.
Well, I don't find it all that complicated and I did my best to explain it. As I said, I'm sorry I was unsuccessful, but I am simply out of ideas.

Yes, but this would mean there are three individuals who are gods (pocessing divine qualities) and together they all make up God. But when i put this to squirt she clearly said that Jesus was not a god, but was God because there only was one God.
Yes, there are three individuals who possess divine qualities. Each one is "God" because of those qualities. As I stated previously, the words "God" and "Godhead" are, in some instances, interchangeable. When Squirt said there is only one God, she obviously (to me, at least) meant that there is only one Godhead.

But that's just it, you haven't explained anything yet, the topic has not moved on at all from where it was left off. You have said that Jesus is God, when i ask why, you say it's his title. I further detailed my confusion in the best way i could. If you feel you must leave as did squirt then that is fine, i've attacked no-one and nor have i been ungracious.
I said that Jesus shares the title of God with His Father. I also said that this is because of the divine attributes He shares with His Father. To me, both of these are perfectly good reasons why I believe His to be God.

Incidentally, I doubt this discussion had anything at all to do with Squirt's decision to leave. I am bowing out only because, in spite of my best efforts, I am evidently not making any headway whatsoever in clarifying our belief. I've just run out of ways in which to put it, that's all.

Endless

Ok before you bow out humour me and let me know if i've got the right end of the stick.

You believe that Jesus possesses divine qualities, and being divine he is a god. The father possesses the same divine qualities and therefore is the same type of god as Jesus is. The same is true with the Holy Spirit.
So they all possess the same divine qualities and so are all the same type of god. Each of them are completely different entities and so in that sense they are separate gods but are all the same type of god. So you then give them each the title God.

However being the same type of God, all three work together forming an office, which you call the 'Godhead'. Since they all work together and are one in purpose and thought, you call the Godhead 'God' with a capital, because in a sense they are working together as 'one' so to speak.

If this is the case, then do you recognise that technically there is no such thing as a singular entity known as God - because the Godhead is not a singular entity, merely three entities that work together as one. Rather there are three entities possessing the same divine qualities and so three entities which are the same type of god.

As this is what i currently understand from what you have told me, do you understand why i was confused whenever Squirt told me that Jesus was not a god (divine being) but was God (ie. the one God). Your God is only one when being described as the office, or being one in purpose and mind. Being one in purpose and mind is not what makes Jesus divine and so to me is irrelevant and Jesus is obviously not the office himself - so i was left wondering, well in what way is Jesus literally the one God so that he cannot be described as being a god.
That was just where my confusion stemmed from - hence the reason in my other post i outlined for you my thought pattern so you could see exactly where i was having the problem.