• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laws regarding the Baha'i Fast

arthra

Baha'i

Laws concerning fasting[edit]​

There are laws and practices associated with the Nineteen Day Fast that were established by Baháʼu'lláh in the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, his book of laws.[3]

• The period of fasting begins with the termination of the Intercalary Days and ends with the festival of Naw-Rúz.[3]
  • Abstinence from food, drink and smoking from sunrise to sunset.[2]
  • Fasting is obligatory for men and women once they attain the age of 15.[3]
  • If one eats unconsciously during the fasting hours, this is not breaking the fast as it is an accident.[6]
  • In regions of extremely high latitude where the duration of days and nights vary considerably, the times of the fast are fixed by the clock.[3][6]
  • Missed days of fasting is not required to be made up later.[7]
  • There is no mention of abstention from sexual relations while fasting.[7]
Although this is not an explicit law, participants of the fast should refrain from profane language and gossiping. The faith believes gossiping damages all the souls involved.[8]

Exemptions from fasting[edit]​

There are various exemptions provided in the Kitáb-i-Aqdas from the obligation of fasting. One meeting the exemptions may, however, still choose to fast if they so wish, with the exception of the ill. Baha'u'llah has stated that in "time of ill health it is not permissible to observe these obligations..." The Universal House of Justice has counseled the Baha'is that the decision of whether or not to observe an applicable exemption should be made with wisdom, keeping in mind that the exemptions were set down with good reason. Regarding those engaged in heavy labour Baha'u'llah has stated, "it is most commendable and fitting to eat with frugality and in private."[2][3]

• Those who are ill.
  • Those who are younger than 15 or older than 70.
  • Those who are engaged in heavy labour.
  • Women who are pregnant.
  • Women who are nursing.
  • Women who are menstruating (instead they must perform an ablution and recite the verse Glorified be God, the Lord of Splendour and Beauty 95 times a day).[2]
Exemptions are also given to those travelling during the fast. Exemptions are given when the travel is longer than 9 hours (or 2 hours if travelling by foot).[3] If the traveller breaks their journey for more than nineteen days, they are only exempt from fasting for the first three days. Also if they return home, they must begin fasting right away.[2]