• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Largest religious festival in your country?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
The largest in Bosnia and Herzegovina, although not really a festival, I think it would unfair not to acknowledge is the Roman Catholic shrine in Medugorje. It attracts Bosnia's population in visitors every two years.

The largest religious festival in a festival sense is the Korida (bullfighting) festival, which takes place in numerous locations throughout rural Bosnia and Herzegovina. This is common to all religious groups, though it has themes specific to one religious group dependning on the town where the particular event is taking place.

The largest purely religious festival is Ajvatovica, a Muslim pilgrimage to the holy spring near Prusac.

And after all those is the one I want to share - Bascarsija Nights! It is a celebration of religion and culture that spreads across most of the summer in the Bascarsija area of Sarajevo. It has everything you can possibly think of!

Here's a good sample - Elvira Rahic performing outside Sarajevo's City Hall singing Hotel Cekanje (Hotel Waiting). You see how much fun she's having? That's the way the whole thing is! Very, very enjoyable!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM74HMkB40w

(She's usually very conservative, it's the first time I've seen her without sleeves! LOL No joke!)

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Also there are folk dance performances from KUD's - Cultural Union Groups, for youth. Here they're doing the Bosnian Muslim "Kolo of the Harvest" - every event has a different circle dance (kolo).

I remember the woman announcing in English for tourists said, "And now we have KUD Jezero from Jezero, Bosnian and Herzegovina. They will here present themselfs with circle dancies." LOL