• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Language Thread; Hrvatski Jezik (Croatian)

Nyiix

Jaj, after a long wait it is finally here, the long promised language thread. For those unfamiliar with the previous statement, an explanatory link can be found somewhere in this post O.O.. no, just kidding it is here: http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/suggestion-language-sub-forum.181637/#post-4504758

So, what better way to start off this thread than to do it in the language that I'm covering today:

I to je upravo što ću sada i napraviti! :D. Evo ga, čudno u stvari, pisati na hrvatskom.. valjda me nitko ne može razumjeti, ali okii, znao sam da će se ovo dogoditi kad sam počeo pisati. Čekaj malo, u stvari sada mogu napisati što god želim.. tako i onako ćete misliti da je ovo Hrvatski. To je to, možda vam se sviđa, možda i ne, vidjet ćemo!

Now tell me, do you have any idea what I wrote there? You probably don't (copying the text and pasting it in Google Translate is a NO too!!). But if you do then you are either: a Slavic brother in which case I salute you :D, have some knowledge of any Slavic language in one way or another, or randomly decided to study a Slavic language in which case I will give you a virtual cookie as you are awesome :cookie:.

Let's get down to the real stuff though, so you peeps get a general idea of the language, where it is spoken and its usefulness, things that are all pretty important.

Where is Croatia?
I thought it would be smart to include this as I am pretty sure that some peeps out there have no idea that this country even exists .-.

karta hrvatska 2.jpg

Even though there are many 'anti copying thingies' on the screen, this picture was just too perfect not to include; showing both the country's location and flag.

Language Group
Croatian (Hrvatski) is classified as a South(-Western) Slavic Language. South(-Western) indicating its geographical location on the European continent and Slavic referring to its origin (includes Russian, Czech, Polish etc.) This picture will hopefully give a more organized overview.

730px-Slavic_languages_tree.svg.png

Additional information and Statistics
Before covering the above it is important to understand that Croatian is part of the subgroup of languages known as the Serbo-Croatian group that consists of Serbian, Bosnian and Croatian. These 3 languages are extremely similar (some different words and versions of words) when spoken and usually indistinguishable when regional accents are disregarded. A problem starts occurring when one takes a look at the way of writing. Croatian people use the Latin Script (e.g. English, French, Spanish) while Serbian people use the Cyrillic Script (e.g. Russia, Bulgaria). However the linguistic similarities are so significant and straight-out huge (if you master one you practically mastered the others) I will regard them as one for this paragraphs simplicities sake.

'Croatian' (read above) is spoken in several countries, including: Croatia (4.2 million), Bosnia and Herzegovina (3.9 million), Serbian (7.2 million), Montenegro (600 thousand) and (very) small areas in Austria, Hungary, Italy and Romania.

Croatian compared to some other Slavic Languages
Croatian has 55% intelligibility of Macedonian (varies from 25-90%), 27% of Slovenian, 25% of Slovak, 20% of Ukrainian, 13% of oral Bulgarian and 25% of written Bulgarian, 10% of oral Russian and 22% of written Russian, 10% of Czech, and 5% of Polish.

Source: https://robertlindsay.wordpress.com...ligibility-of-languages-in-the-slavic-family/

Out of personal experience I can tell you that this is pretty accurate and gives a clear overview.

The Alphabet
The Croatian alphabet consists of 30 letters and can be seen below:

abeceda.jpg

Pretty regular isn't it, if it wasn't for a few weird letters, namely; č, ć, dž, đ, lj, nj, š and ž
Don't get scared though, their pronunciation isn't very difficult (trust me on this one [e.g. š = sh]).

So what does Croatian sound like?
Reading about a language is okej, don't get me wrong, but the best way of finding out if you are interested or like a language is to hear it. Therefore I attached a few videos (songs, random stuff) where you can get a taste of Croatian. I suggest you listen to them all, even if you don't like the specific genre, as you need time to process it.

Parni Valjak - Sve još miriše na nju

Toše Proeski - Pratim te

Neno Belan i Klapa More - Galeb

Silente - Terca na tišinu

Some random news

So why learn Croatian?
Croatia's beauty is truly overwhelming (absolutely not biased here ;)). Its spectacular nature includes dazzling waterfalls, dense forests, snowy and rough mountains and the mind-blowing Adriatic coast (beaches). An absolute must when it comes down to things one has to see. Its language closely resembles its nature, sometimes strong and strict (š,ž,đ) but most of the time soft and melodic as only Slavic languages can be. When visiting Croatia or any other mentioned place speaking the language will allow one to come in contact with the real Croatian people and culture, the one that hides behind the tourism. The culture I grew up and fell in love with a long time ago.

Attached below you can find some random pictures showing what I mean.

Slapovi Krke
slapovi-krke_jpg.jpg

Dubrovnik (Yes Game of Thrones was filmed here :3)
Slider-Dubrovnik-2_1600x828.jpg

Split (and here as well)
split (1).jpg

Zagorje
zagorje-zimi-vinograd-1.jpg

Velebit
Pogled-na-Kvarner.jpg

A beautiful country with an equally beautiful language.

Some random phrases
Yes - Da
No - Ne
Hej! - Bok!
How are you? - Kako si?
Thank you - Hvala
My name is ... - Ja se zovem ...
Help me! - Upomoć!
I love you - Volim te
I love Croatia - Volim Hrvatsku :D

Well, that was everything ^^! Hope you guys learned a little bit about the Croatian language and the country itself. If you peeps have any questions feel free to ask them anytime; either by posting them here or messaging me privately. Are you interested in learning Croatian? Awesome ^^, would love to help you out! Going there on a holiday? I will share some beautiful places you are not allowed to miss! :cookie:

-----
P.S. Had no idea where to post this as we don't really have a language sub-forum *hint hint*
*hint hint hint*
*hint*

Last edited:

Chakra

Premium Member
Those songs sounded strangely similar to some Sanskrit devotional songs. Just the articulation and pronunciation.

vaguelyhumanoid

I sometimes feel like I should look more into the Slavic languages. Croatian is definitely one that interests me because Croatia does seem like a really gorgeous country.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
:)I want to congratulate you for the great job. Your thread is very informative, and I also want to compliment your patriotism.
I am learning Russian, right now. I already know how to write and read it, and once you understand the grammar, you get more or less, how the grammars of Slavic languages work.
Besides...the only thing I can say in Croatian is the Hail Mary. I learned it when I went to Medjugorje.

Last edited:

Nyiix

:)I want to congratulate you for the great job. Your thread is very informative, and I also want to compliment your patriotism.
I am learning Russian, right now. I already know how to write and read it, and once you understand the grammar, you get more or less, how the grammars of Slavic languages work.
Besides...the only thing I can say in Croatian is the Hail Mary. I learned it when I went to Medjugorje.

Спасибо тебе большое за комплименты ^^

Да, русский тоже очень красивый язык. Хорватский и Русский только едва похожи друг на друга, и я должен согласиться, что без базовых знаний - понять что-либо будет очень трудно. Но я люблю оба эти языка, т.к. они являются частью меня :D

IdiNaPut

Ako možete čitati ovo, govorite hrvatski.
Im a Croatian speaker! Well, I'm learning the language, and would love to live in Croatia one day.

Plus I now have an excuse to post this video of one of my favorite singers and bands:

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Спасибо тебе большое за комплименты ^^

Да, русский тоже очень красивый язык. Хорватский и Русский только едва похожи друг на друга, и я должен согласиться, что без базовых знаний - понять что-либо будет очень трудно. Но я люблю оба эти языка, т.к. они являются частью меня :D
I hope other members don't get mad at us for communicating in a language they don't understand.
I am so glad you also like Russian. After being in Medjugorje, I personally prefer Croatian...but I chose Russian just because of its usefulness.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, there is a large Indo-Iranian family in the Indo-European but you were describing the European in the Indo-European.

Nyiix

Im a Croatian speaker! Well, I'm learning the language, and would love to live in Croatia one day.

Plus I now have an excuse to post this video of one of my favorite singers and bands

Awesome!! If you need any help feel free to message me anytime ^^
Don't forget this one ;), absolutely love it:

I hope other members don't get mad at us for communicating in a language they don't understand.
I am so glad you also like Russian. After being in Medjugorje, I personally prefer Croatian...but I chose Russian just because of its usefulness.

Then they should study Russian *hint hint* ;)
I have personally never been to Medjugorje, at least not that I can remember, but it makes me really happy to see that you like Croatian :D. If you need assistance just ask for help! :cookie:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Then they should study Russian *hint hint* ;)
I have personally never been to Medjugorje, at least not that I can remember, but it makes me really happy to see that you like Croatian :D. If you need assistance just ask for help! :cookie:
Did you know that I've been asking for a languages DIR since 2014? We would need one.

Chakra

Premium Member
Can you explain the Croatian writing system? For example I heard that the Thai writing system is very complex because it contains a bunch of features from Chinese, Sanskrit, Pali, and indigenous languages. The vowels can be attached on top, bottom, left, or right of the consonant, and there are more symbols than sounds (just like in Sanskrit which has Alveolar consonants) etc. Does Croatian contain some of these features, and since you are a polyglot, have you noticed some similarities that pervade all Indo-European languages?

Nyiix

Can you explain the Croatian writing system? For example I heard that the Thai writing system is very complex because it contains a bunch of features from Chinese, Sanskrit, Pali, and indigenous languages. The vowels can be attached on top, bottom, left, or right of the consonant, and there are more symbols than sounds (just like in Sanskrit which has Alveolar consonants) etc. Does Croatian contain some of these features, and since you are a polyglot, have you noticed some similarities that pervade all Indo-European languages?

Jup jup of course :D

Just like approximately 70% of the world's population the Croatian language uses the Latin script (other examples include English, Spanish, French etc.) However, it does contain a few letters that look foreign to an American, Frenchman or most other native Non-Slavic speakers. I would like to stress my use of the word 'look' here as there are multiple examples in the English language where a Croatian letter* could be used. Why do slavic languages then have special letters for these sounds you ask? Well, probably because these sounds are much more prevalent in Slavic Languages, so prevalent that we just needed a letter for it. The glyphs you are probably referring to (the diacritics) are quite easy to master as there is only a few of them (unlike in Polish) and the distinguishing them isn't too difficult (Č is a hard sound while Ć is a softer one). Practice a few times and it will be a piece a cake!

Disregarding these letters (simple sound changes) everything is pretty straight forward ^^. Easy alphabet, nothing special :D

Attached below you can find two links; one that contains audio files where you can listen to the pronunciation of all the letters and the other where modern day english words with the corresponding sounds are given.

Pronunciation
http://learn-croatian.com/croatian-alphabet.php

English words with similar pronunciations of a 'Croatian letter'
http://mylanguages.org/croatian_alphabet.php

As to your second point, sound/letter similarities with other Indo-European languages. Mmm.. I am afraid I will only be able to give you a few examples of this, as the group you are asking for is absolutely HUGE and I sadly don't have enough knowledge to cover all the containing languages. Maybe one day :). What I can do however is give you the following examples!

-Most, if not all, slavic languages contain these letters, although they might be written in a different form. (E.g. Š = Ш, Ž = Ж and ŠČ = Щ)
-Portuguese 'te' sounds really similar to our Č/Đ. (E.g. exatamente)
-English Ch (Č) and Sh (Š) (and a whole other list that can be found by clicking the second link)

Hope that helped ^^

----
*Referring to Ć, Č, Š, Đ, Dž, Ž, Lj and Nj here.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Looks like a pretty simple, alphabetic system.
If you really want a complex system try English, where every letter and vowel cluster has half a dozen different pronunciations and no regular way to predict which applies in any given word.