• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakshmi Murti

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Namaste All,

I don't know if defiance is a good reason for creativity but I have to admit it's a powerful motivator for action. I've been swooning over Lotus Sculpture murtis for years but they are way outside my price range at the moment. But there was one I wanted so badly and when it finally sold I was both happy (for the murti) and sad (for me). But then it got me thinking that maybe I had an opportunity to try and tap into the sculpting hobby I've let fall by the wayside in recent years in favor of the 2D. I wondered if I could make my own beautiful murti.

While it's not finished yet, this is where I am right now with my Lakshmi murti. She is made from all kinds of things, but mostly clay, fabric, and silk flowers. I'll post more pictures when she is finished. The trouble for me now is, even if I seal her with polyurethane, I don't think she'll be able to stay outside on our balcony even in the nice California sun and she's too big to come inside anywhere. Hmmm.

20430154_10154543365930518_5076303984423605884_n.jpg
20374657_10154543366045518_5837193784340257909_n.jpg

20429681_10154543366305518_8596241768106658922_n.jpg

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Fantastic! Is there a picture of the murti you wanted? :)

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Fantastic! Is there a picture of the murti you wanted? :)

Thanks! Here is a picture of the one I wanted but with a different finish. The one I wanted was more of an antique bronze color. The one I wanted was actually Maa Kali, but as I started working on mine I switched to Lakshmi. Not sure why. Maybe just intuition. =)

1-Polished-Bronze-Dancing-Kali-Statue.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Simply too beautiful. The nose. It should have been finer, thinner, with a drop after the forehead. The lips. They should have had a smile (a more prominent smile). Again they should have been thinner and the middle of the upper lip should not have been so pronounced. Hair parted in the middle, wavy, perhaps with a ringlet. Clothes - Sari, not a girl's frock. But over all a beautiful sculpture, very finely finished. You sure have a talent there.

tina.jpg
Tina Datta

Last edited:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Simply too beautiful. The nose. It should have been finer, thinner, with a drop after the forehead. The lips. They should have had a smile (a more prominent smile). Again they should have been thinner and the middle of the upper lip should not have been so pronounced. Hair parted in the middle, wavy, perhaps with a ringlet. Clothes - Sari, not a girl's frock. But over all a beautiful sculpture, very finely finished. You sure have a talent there.

tina.jpg
Tina Datta

=) Thank you for the compliment and the critique =) When I sculpt I think I stylistically gravitate toward broader than average lips and noses. It shows up in my drawings too. But based on the old masters you are right.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
=) Thank you for the compliment and the critique =) When I sculpt I think I stylistically gravitate toward broader than average lips and noses. It shows up in my drawings too. But based on the old masters you are right.

The first thing I thought of is the facial style/expression of the murtis in my temple. The faces of those and yours are almost identical. The large ones in the temple are black granite, but there are some in brass. I don't know if it's a matter of north v. south styles, I'm only familiar with those in my temple, and those I have at home. This isn't mine; it's an example from the 'net of what I'm talking about.

az-large-1194118.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is a difference between what an Indian (a village Hindu like me) thinks about a beautiful woman and what he readily accepts in a Devi idol. I do not know what I was talking about, a beautiful woman or the idol of the Mother goddess. Put your idol in a temple and I will bow to it a thousand times. :D

marble-statue-of-panchanguli-devi-india-et19e8.jpg
Very similar to the Mother Parvati at our Jodhpur temple.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Wonderful art! Maybe with varnish she would be able to stand the elements, if that is what you are afraid of?

I am putting varnish on her today. I think the issue is there are too many nooks and crannies where painting varnish will be impossible, so those will be areas where moisture can seep in from the air. I live in northern CA and for most of the year this isn't a problem, but our winters are wet, so I have to give some thought to how to protect her. I thought about building a small mandir on the balcony, which is already covered, so that takes care of rain, but fog and humidity are still an issue.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Spray? Is that possible?

There are a couple different kinds available - but yes, you can get it in spray form. The question is whether I'll be able to get an even coat if I can't use a rag to wipe down the whole statue. (Since it's so detailed).

I actually used Shellac today which I found out is not the same as varnish. However, I think it's actually good that I used it first. The Varnish can go on top. I need to try tomorrow, after which I'll let you know.

Shantanu

@Fireside_Hindu, please continue to give us your running commentary on your devoted creation of Lakshmi. The precise look of it does not matter, It is a American_Hindu version of Lakshmi. They do not have to look like a beautiful Indian woman like @Aupmanyav was suggesting. To me the decorations around the head are sort of western art form on a Hindu goddess and so fit for an American audience, as it should be because you are American. It is the thought that counts. The murti is personal to you exhibiting your deeply held beliefs and ideas. Well done and keep it up.

Shantanu

Hinduism is just perfect: no sex discrimination in religion and it is appropriate for all corners of the Earth. Perhaps they could give different local names for the deities, like Lakshmi_USA? Just a thought.:D