• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Labour Day

Unedited

Did anyone accomplish anything during the long weekend (for those who had it)? I had so many things planned, but after catching a horrible cold, the only thing I accomplished was going four days without a shower. Ew!

Aqualung

Tasty
We don't celebrate labour day at my college until next friday, the reasons being that we are just getting under way, and to take a break right now would ruin people's stride. So, no, I didn't accomplish anything, but I'm looking forward to next weekend, when I plan to perhaps catch up on some sleep.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I helped my sister and her husband paint their house. Spent the weekend with family. That's about it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I hate to admit it, but I had no idea what 'Labour Day'was;It sounded a bit as it it was about women ready to give birth.......:D

I looked it up, and it seems that the origin is uncertain;
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Creek/9369/project7/labor.html
The History of Labor Day

There is some doubt and confusion as to when or by whom Labor Day was started. Here are some points of importance to how Labor Day Started.

• April 15, 1872 - Toronto Trades Assembly (TTA) (possibly the original labour body in Canada) organized the first North American "workingman's demonstration". Some 10,000 Torontonians turned out to watch a parade and to listen to speeches calling for abolition of the law which decreed that "trade unions were criminal conspiracies in restraint of trade".

• September 3, 1872 - Members of seven unions in Ottawa Canada organized a parade that stretched for more than a mile long. The parade stopped at the home of Prime Minister Sir John A. MacDonald. They brought him into a carriage and marched to the Ottawa City Hall by torch light. The Prime Minister was aware of the discontent of workers with the laws which made unions illegal so he made this declaration that his party would "Sweep away all such barbarous laws from the statute books". These laws were repealed by Parliament later that year and the tradition of holding parades and demonstrations was continued on into the early 1880's.

• July 22, 1882 - The Toronto Trades and Labour Council (the successor to the TTA) organized the annual demonstration and parade. Peter J. McGuire of New York was invited to attend and speak at this occasion.

• 1882 - Matthew Maguire, later secretary of Local 344 of the International Association of Machinists in Paterson, N.J. proposed a Holiday for Labor while serving as secretary of the Central Labor Union in New York.

• 1882 - Peter J. McGuire, general secretary of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners and a co-founder of the American Federation of Labor suggested a day to honor workers.

• September 5, 1882 - The Central Labor Union held its first Labor Day holiday in New York City. A second Labor Day was again held a year later on September 5, 1883.

• 1884 - The first Monday in September was selected as the holiday and the Central Labor Union urged similar organizations in other cities to also celebrate a "workingmen's holiday" on that date.

• February 21, 1887 - Oregon passed the first bill to become law making Labor Day an official holiday.

• June 28, 1894 - The U.S.A. Congress passed an act making the first Monday of September of each year a legal holiday in the District of Columbia and the territories including all Federal workers in all states. The individual States still had to enact their own legislation which 31 States had done already by this time.

• July 23, 1894 - The Canadian Government enacted legislation making Labour Day, the first Monday of September of each year into a national holiday
So what is the consensus amongst you guys?:)

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
BC Comic Strip years ago said:
Labor Day, Schmabor Day
What a dumb day. To hire some jerk and send him away.
To celebrate work by playing all day.:biglaugh:
My wife & I went on a trip with some friends. We didn't do anything touristy...we just got away from the noise of ATL and visited. It was nice. :) Monday, we got caught up on laundry and boxed up some excess stuff to take to our storage unit....our townhome fills up quickly.

Unedited

michel said:
So what is the consensus amongst you guys?:)
I've actually asked my friends and family about this; I didn't know what it meant myself. Their respond was usually along the lines of, 'Don't care, as long as I get the day off.'

Linus

I learned 3 new songs on the guitar. Other than hanging out with frineds, not much else...

Pussyfoot Mouse

Super Mom
I decided to go on a cruise on another thread here at RF!

Seriously though, I spent the weekend with my family and getting ready to send the kids back to school. Today was their first day back after a very long summer! :woohoo:

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
mr.guy said:
Next you're gonna tell me you don't celebrate the forth of july, either.
Wouldn't that be the first of July ???? ;)

I got a few things done , but found time to take a drive out to Horsefly to play with the salmon . :) { the run is late this year and there were only a few early ones , but I enjoyed it }

Linus

Aqualung said:
Oh, you play guitar? I play bass. :D
Sweet. How long have you been playing?

I have a bass, and I know a few riffs, but I mostly play the ole' Guit-fiddle.

We should form the first official RF BAND. We could be something like, The Holy Rock'n'Rollers. :jam:

That would be sweet.

Aqualung

Tasty
Linus said:
Sweet. How long have you been playing?

I have a bass, and I know a few riffs, but I mostly play the ole' Guit-fiddle.

We should form the first official RF BAND. We could be something like, The Holy Rock'n'Rollers. :jam:

That would be sweet.
Yeah, that would be sweet! :jam:(except you're all the way down in california. Practices would be hard to organise.:D) I've officially been playing for about 4 years, but I have a really busy schedule during the school year, so I usually can only get serious during the summer. So I'm not as good as perhaps a 4 yr player should be, but I still enjoy it. I really like playing 80s new wave, like ABC or alternative like U-2. i think the 80s had the best bass players as a rule (though of course there were good ones in other eras, like the guy from the who), or if not the best, at least the most interesting.

Linus

Aqualung said:
Yeah, that would be sweet! :jam:(except you're all the way down in california. Practices would be hard to organise.:D)
Actually, I just moved to Kentucky. So that actually makes it worse. Unless you're in Washington DC.

Aqualung said:
I've officially been playing for about 4 years, but I have a really busy schedule during the school year, so I usually can only get serious during the summer. So I'm not as good as perhaps a 4 yr player should be, but I still enjoy it. I really like playing 80s new wave, like ABC or alternative like U-2. i think the 80s had the best bass players as a rule (though of course there were good ones in other eras, like the guy from the who), or if not the best, at least the most interesting.
I can't imagine a day going by when I don't play the guitar. I play it all the time. I just got an electric this summer so I've been learning some stuff for that now, too. I love it.