• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kosher coffee?

Rakhel

I wasn't complaining about it. I actually found it funny, which is why I posted it in the private Jewish forum. As for my post responding to Harmonious, I was simply providing clarification of what the chemical does; as an HVAC technician, it's what I do.

I value your opinion, but please follow the conversation before jumping in.
Sorry about that. I just felt that it begged levite's question. Why would someone demand a Hechsher on something not consumed?

I should have asked.

dantech

Okay... so it sounds like you've allayed my main fear: that for the kosher coffee, they make sure no cockroaches/mice/etc. Got into the roaster/grinder/etc., and for the non-kosher stuff, they aren't as careful. :D

Thanks, all :)

Who said anything about cockroaches or mice? It's not that these companies don't pay attention, you have health inspectors for that. However, its no accident, they purposely put in these ingredients (those of random bugs or snails, gelatin, etc...) These ingredients are not kosher, so we don't eat these products.
Although once these ingredients have been completely processed, and have been taken out of the Ikar (important part, badly translated) part of the final product; as well as completely taken out of their natural form until they seem like a completely different ingredient, then it is permitted.

However, some Jews from the Orthodox communities will still not use these products as they want to be safe. There are so many little rules to remember when thinking of whether or not a product is kosher, that it is just way simpler to just have a seal on it and be able to do my groceries in an hour rather than four hours.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Sorry about that. I just felt that it begged levite's question. Why would someone demand a Hechsher on something not consumed?

I should have asked.

No need to apologize, Rakhel. It isn't a problem at all; I don't mind you posting it here, and I agree that it is a perfect example of Levite's point.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Who said anything about cockroaches or mice? It's not that these companies don't pay attention, you have health inspectors for that. However, its no accident, they purposely put in these ingredients (those of random bugs or snails, gelatin, etc...) These ingredients are not kosher, so we don't eat these products.

I said it. :) That was in the back of my mind when I started this thread. My (probably simplistic) understanding of the rules of kashrut is that some types of meat are completely forbidden, and meat and dairy can't be eaten together. I figured the chances of my coffee (plain coffee, not some sort of instant latte or the like) having dairy were slim, so I started wondering whether the kosher symbol had something to do with it being meat-free... which made me wonder if the non-kosher coffee *wasn't* meat-free somehow.

So... that's where I was coming from with the OP.
:)

dantech

I should have asked.

Well "someone" isn't necessarily Jewish. Any owner of a company may hear that "these Jews only use products with a K on them...", so they decide to have this K added in hope of increasing sales. Being a business, the Rabbinate will definitely not say no if the product is indeed not breaking any laws. That's all I've been saying.

The person paying for the K doesn't necessarily know what he's paying for. He just thinks it will increase sales.

Rakhel

talking about Hechshers. My husband used to work in a restaurant that was trying to get Kosher certification. Well in Little Rock, where the range of observance goes from reform to chabad, within 3 synagogues, the owner felt he had to get approval from all 3 rabbis.

He got approval from the reform, which wasn't too hard. He got approval from the Chabad, which was cool. But then he went to the modern orthodox. That was were things went to pot. Because one of the seasonings, ONE I said, was not OU but Star K, he was denied by the modern orthodox.

Don't know why he didn't just go with two out of three, he did have a majority of Jews anyways, (and we did find out later that there was something off with the Modern Orthodox rabbi) but the owner figured if he didn't have all 3, his business would fail.

It failed anyways.

dantech

I said it. :) That was in the back of my mind when I started this thread. My (probably simplistic) understanding of the rules of kashrut is that some types of meat are completely forbidden, and meat and dairy can't be eaten together. I figured the chances of my coffee (plain coffee, not some sort of instant latte or the like) having dairy were slim, so I started wondering whether the kosher symbol had something to do with it being meat-free... which made me wonder if the non-kosher coffee *wasn't* meat-free somehow.

So... that's where I was coming from with the OP.
:)

Ah, well hope you got the answers you were looking for then :)